Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

We can shoot boars for free

Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default We can shoot boars for free

I live in midMichigan where you dont commonly hear about wild boar hunting, if at all. Well somehow wild boar populations are increasing and heading our way so the DNR posted in the newspaper that if you see one, SHOOT IT. They DO NOT want them around. Can you believe this?! Were talkin free wild boar hunting and meat. Makes it sound like poaching, but this is the DNR's orders. Kinda crazy huh.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: We can shoot boars for free

Pigs are an ASTOUNDING group of animals. Lisa and I were watching a special on wild pigs......and we found out that a pefectly tame pig will resort to wild behavior (growing tusks....growing more body hair.....etc...) in THREE WEEKS in the wild.

The can DESTROY a farm in a few days, too.

This stance by your state is NOT surprising.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

They have the same stance in Ohio. They aren't anywhere in my immediate proximity, but I certainly would love to shoot one if given the opportunity.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

PA is the same way.

gmmat is right...i watched a similar show..it was about "hogzilla" but they talked all about how tame farm pigs can and will become pretty much wild, independant and mean like wild pigs. and what they do to the habitat is something all on its own....they think deer browse is bad theres a few counties in PA that supposedly have pig populations...they breed alot and will spread rather quickly...i dont think itll be overly long till it becomes a big problem if nothing is done...thats why hunters are asked to shoot them. i wouldnt think twice...
Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Having a Tx lease with 11 deer and 14,264,102 hogs I can tell you I am not a bit surprised! I'm kidding of course but at times it seems like the numbers are that bad. That is why there is no closed season or bag limits on the pests here in Tx. It is also why I have invited so many of you fine folks to come and help me thin them out!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

The same is in Indiana.. If you see it, BLAST IT... They are starting to become a nusiance everywhere! Good eatin!!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

part of me cant wait for them and the other part of me does not want them
Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, we dont have them here in NJ, that i know of anyhow, and i too am split, want to have them but have heard how much of a pain they can be. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Wild hogs have taken over part of the country I used to hunt in Georgia. When I stopped to seethis one farmer friendwhen I thought I was moving back to Georgia last spring he said good. Sure you can bowhunt here like always.(Freebie 1200 acres) Anyway he said, you can hunt all year if you'd like. I'm over run with pigs. You come and kill all you want anyway you want year round if you can. Can you start tomorrow? LOL Evidently they've really taken over whereas there were none there when I lived there before.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I looked into a wild boar hunt in SC a while back. Something that caught my eye was the "spot and stalk" bowhunt option.

The brochure read...."Not for the faint of heart"....lol.

I was skeered just thinking about this.....lol. I guess I've seen TOO MANY episodes of 'Deadwood'!

Quick Reply: We can shoot boars for free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.