Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Washing Scent Lok Camo

Old 04-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Washing Scent Lok Camo

eatsleephunt

Regardless of what you think of scentlok, anything to reduce your human scent will help. I had a big 8 pointer that was probably pushing boone and crocket come from dead down wind of me to a decoy set up last year while I was hunting off the ground. I honestly dont believe there would have been a chance in h*ll of getting that buck in range if it werent for scentlok. You may not wash your bow, binos or other equiptment but that is why they make scent eliminating sprays genius.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

I've heard a lot of testimonials (first hand) regarding scent lock clothing, sprays, etc... I've also been upwind of animals myself (without scent lock) and gotten some pretty awsomely unexpected shots. How much does it play in? Who knows, but I guess any little edge, even if more feel goodie than reality, is always good for the confidence boost in the woods.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Uh Oh ....
That's what I was thinking PT.

Anyway, here's the skinny on washing....Once or twice a season is all that's necessary unless it gets heavily soiled. Use a scent killer soap as you would w/ your other camo. I really recommend a carbon clothes wash. Washing it every week of the season WILL wash out more and more of the carbon. Wash in the gentle cycle.
I recommend if you wear the Base Layers to wash them more often because SOMEoils and sweat from your body will remain on the carbon even after reactivation. It's not necessary to wash them more than once every couple weeks.
When you are reactivating your Scent-Lok you should put them in a scent-lok duffel or storage sack before putting them in the dryer. This only makes sense to prolong the life of the material and camo pattern.CLEAN OUT THE LINT SCREEN, and I even spray it w/ scent killer as well as the inside of the dryer. Your wife's dryer sheets DO leave a residue.
Set on HIGH heat for 40min. If you have a duffel w/ alot of things in it , I will go 50min. to make sure the carbon has been exposed to the heat for a sufficient amount of time.

It is only necessary to reactivate your suit after every 40 hours of use. Less , if you wear Base Layers, because it adsorbs your scent also and is anti-microbial.

I almost forgot...go ahead ..take your shots.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

i wash mine twice a year.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:14 AM

I wash mine in gasoline and then dry it over the campfire.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Atlas, you continue to crack me up!!You are consistant.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't have to wash scent lok or blocker at all. Just hang it out the window of your truck and kick it up to about 80-90 mph. This process actually reverses the direction of the carbon molecules becuase you've increased thier speed closer to that of light. The wind resistance forces all the outside smells and soils back through the carbon filter(s) thereby containing your scent inside the suit the next time you put them on.

The longer your drive the better the suits ability to contain scent. The molecules are that excited!

See now the suit will be good forever and you haven't hit the manufacturer suggested 12 washings.

Good Luck

Tom
Old 04-12-2007, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: statjunk

You don't have to wash scent lok or blocker at all. Just hang it out the window of your truck and kick it up to about 80-90 mph. This process actually reverses the direction of the carbon molecules becuase you've increased thier speed closer to that of light. The wind resistance forces all the outside smells and soils back through the carbon filter(s) thereby containing your scent inside the suit the next time you put them on.

The longer your drive the better the suits ability to contain scent. The molecules are that excited!

See now the suit will be good forever and you haven't hit the manufacturer suggested 12 washings.

Good Luck

Tom

wow.....thats great. It's probably just as effective as the gasoline wash and fire dry too!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Good Luck

Tom

Better known to the scientific world as pickup truckian motion.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

What is Scentlok?

Quick Reply: Washing Scent Lok Camo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.