Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Horn Farming

Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Horn Farming

And you know I didn't mean that kind of hunting so don't try to start something.
David:

I'm SURE you misunderstood me.....because I was agreeing with you. I plant my little food plot (I did, this year).....supplemental feed......but the deer I huntARE free-ranging.

I wasn't trying to start anything. I see your point.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

My brother in law is my best friend and hunting buddy. We agree on most things in life. One area we disagree on is his deer farm. He raises and breeds whitetail deer and he constantly worries about the size of the rack. He intends to sell large racked bucks to other breeders and to ranches so they can have "hunters" harvest them. He will also sell straws of semen to other breeders. They really want to spread those good genetics if the price is right. To me, and this is strictly my opinion, what he is doing is no more than raising a different breed of cattle. Several of his fawns are bottle fed. When they end up on a "hunting" ranch how hard do you think they will be to kill? They guy that pulls the trigger will swell with pride and say" Wow! did you see the shot I put on that 190" monster? What a hunt! I owe it all to my great guide and the folks here at Big Buck Ranch". If its legal, well, more power to them. I will hunt with my brother in law still. But you can bet your bottom dollar it won't be at one of those places. Heck even wiyh a family discount I couldn't afford it anyway. Not that I would want to. No, I am a fair chase hunter.
My biggest problem with the whole QDM thing is its mostly quality rack managment in MY eyes and it is driving up the price of hunting to the point that blue collar guys like me have to rely more and more on crowded public land. I think it sucks.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Give me a break... he doesn't know if it's 6 1/2 or 5 1/2 unless the deer have names.
Believe me, Dave, they do. They probably know his exact birthday. Also likely they have a complete photo album of him from the day he was born all through his development. If you really pushed them for the info, I'd bet they could even tell you how many hairs he's got on his scrotum.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I see David's point. I don't have a problem with having standards and waiting for a bigger buck, but when all of the agriculture you have is to feed the deer, you have multiple feeders and man-made water holes and fence in the property with the sole intention of having people pay you to hunt your land you are selling deer. It may not be that you have a catalog such as some places, but nonetheless you are selling deer not hunts to a client. Now, this practice is legal and if you have the money that is your choice.However, this practice is also making hunting for the average Joe less accessible because as people see this as a means to make money more and more land is being bought up with the idea of turning it into a deer farm.

The Drurys and Kiskys practice this as well, but for their own use and they do not charge others or profit on selling deer. They manage their own property in a way that they want that allows them to best hunt it.

I think that we are approaching an era where eventually we will have to pay to hunt. I am keenly aware that hunting is a privelege, but to have to pay thousands of dollars each year for that so someone else can profit is extreme.

Lately there have been a lot of comparisons made between golf and bowhunting. This is another instance where hunting will be very much like golf. You want to play, you have to pay. That is the unfortunate future that I see.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:54 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: huntingson
QDM is about AGE and sex ratiosnot antler size, so he is not practicing QDM. He is, as you put it, farming for antlers. There is a big difference.
I agree 100% with your thought here huntingson just as I see nothing wrong withTJF's choice of "scouting and hunting with certain score in mind". But IMO the scenerio in Davidmils post andalso what Txjourneyman describes regarding his brother-in-law has absolutely nothing to do with QDM or hunting and that seems to always be the case in these posts that get the friendly sparring going back and forth. It seems that a lot of the hunting showsstart out with the shooter (nothunter)at the lodge, then it'stime to be transported to the shooting hut(a smaller lodge). Once there they seem to have an abundance of shooter quality bucksto choose from sothey take their shot, bag the trophy, and wait fora ride back to the lodge for the photo sessions.(FYI, once I determine it's that kind of show it channel changing time). I haven't been here too long but have read a lot of posts from a lot of members and don't see a lot of comparison in how ya'll do thingsvs. how a lot of the the celeb's and the rich and famouse do it. Bottom line is,"there is a big,big,big differance between hunting and shooting.I think mosthunters here spend a lot of time defending the shooters only because it is legal and it is their right to do so if they choose and we defend their rights just as we defend ours but.....and I've seen this quoted here many times, just because it is legal does not make it right.

PS: I'll figure out how to use the quote thing one of these days.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TJF

While it wouldn't be my cup of tea either to grow my deer... each their own.

We do however scout and hunt buckswith a certain score in mind. In that way I am no different then he is. The bucks herehave to survive the hard way to make it to maturity. I've shot enough young bucks in years past and we have ample does to fill the freezer. 150 - 160 Gross scored 5/6 ptsbucks are top of the line here. 135 to 150 Gross scored 4 pts are top of the line. These buckhave to bemature to score this well. That's what interests me.

Targetting certain bucks interest me.

While this might not be your cup of tea, it is mine. Since I hunt to makeme happy...tough if you or anyone elsedoesn't like it. Iwould thinkyou wouldfeel the same since you should be hunting to make you happy.

Tim
I agree
Old 04-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

The Drurys and Kiskys practice this as well, but for their own use and they do not charge others or profit on selling deer.
Well.....I think this is debateable. If you GROW deer...for the SOLE purpose of filming their harvests.....and selling the videos of such......you're "profitting". I've seen several "hunts" on the Kisky farm (Lakosky's hunts AND Kisky hunts) on some of the videos for sale to the public. Are they selling deer? Technically....NO. Do I think they've got the deer, there, "numbered" or "named"? You betcha, I do.

Do I have a problem with it? Nope. I don't have a problem with a black angus farmer raising the biggest cattle he can, either.

This is what TROPHY DEER MANAGEMENT has come to. I give them credit for finding a niche market. Is it "Fair Chase" hunting? Not for me to decide......but I'd say yes, again.

It is what it is, guys.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, although the Drury's, Lakosky's andKisky's manage for trophy antler and they do profit off these videos, "their" deer can walk off the property for others to harvest. Yes they do have deer named that they pass on year after year, but i dont feel its on the same level as what David was talking about.

Rob
Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT, I see your point and thought of that myself, but it is their property. They bought it own it and the making of their videos is them getting more return on their investment. Those folks hunt their properties hard and they get busted.

I also don't agree they grow deer for the SOLE purpose of filming their harvests. They grow deer to hunt and happen to also film their hunts and produce the videos for sale.

Ido agree that it is fair chase hunting. Private property, that they mangage without high fences. I doubt they would fair as well if they came with me to chase PA whitetails, but hey they would learn a thing or two about keeping still in the stand.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:49 AM

The inevitable conclusion of QDM.

Quick Reply: Horn Farming

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.