Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do you sight your bow in at?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 PM

Default what do you sight your bow in at?

Im getting a bow tomorrow and I dont know what I should sight it to? I'm just learning so you will a lot of me here for the next while
Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what do you sight your bow in at?

Are you getting a new bow. If so the pro shop should spend soe time with you and get you all set up.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

dont hesitate to ask questions...alot of old hands around here that can and will answer...

if this is your first bow i can tell ya its gunna take you a bit to shoot consistantly. i really wish i woulda paid for shooting lessons from an expert. the first week or so i practiced at 10 and 15yds. every day my form changed and so did my groups. i moved my sights every day..honestly. then i learned more about GOOD form and REPEATING GOOD form. that seemed impossible for a while....but once i got it all down pat i was able to finally shoot consistant groups in the bullseye every day all the time. i set my top pin at 15yds. then i worked on 25 AFTER i had good consistant form. set the next pin at 25. mastered 25 and then mastered 35 and shoot out to 40. thats all my backyard allows and thats all the farther ive gotten to shoot so far.

if you have a good shop i dont think it can hurt to pay for lessons for an hour or so...learn good form and how to shoot and learn to repeat that GOOD form. if youy buying a new bow from the shop they SHOULD set it all up and tune it all etc...

practice doenst make perfect....perfect practice makes perfect....exspecially in archery. and you gotta practice pretty much all year to keep that perfectness. im far from perfect...but im self taught and can slam shafts together at 35yds. even busted a few arrows with broadheads at 35yds. a GOOD repeated consistant form will = good consistant shooting...that has to be practiced to be maintained.

good luck...dont be afraid to post questions...and look into shooting lessons...im sure they make the learning curve go a bit quicker....lots of time before the season...dont stress out like i did...and when you feel yourself getting tired and unsteady pack it up for the day. it will happen quick for a while believe me....shooting with tired muscles will lead to poor form, bad shooting and alot of headaches and frustration
Old 04-09-2007, 08:40 PM

Yeah I where I'm buying it from alsohas a 3d range, so once I get it set up I want to take out there for a while
Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser06

Not trying to jack the thread, but what do you think a few lessons from a pro would cost?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

Mauser06

Not trying to jack the thread, but what do you think a few lessons from a pro would cost?
I know it's $35/h for where I'm getting my bow
Old 04-09-2007, 09:34 PM

i put my top pin at 25, 35, 45. i know 45 is extreme, but my bow is flat to 25, and if i used 5 yard increments the pins would practically touch. so i just use 10 yard increments, its good practice to practice from 45 yards but doubt id use it while hunting
Old 04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado Luckydog

Depending upon the shop anyware from $25 to $50 an hour.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:05 AM

if new to bow hunting start out at 10-15 yards and work your way out
Old 04-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

We used to sight our bows in at 10, 20, and 30 yards with the old brass 3 pin sights, but with today's bow speeds 10 and 20 are usually pretty close, so I now go with either 10, 25, 35, 45, and 55, or 15-55. I go out that far for 3D mostly. My main pin for hunting is 25. I use that one and the others are just a guide that help with gapping. This eliminates the confusion of havingin to pick a pin at that critical moment. I had been using a single pin, but found that I was thinking more about adjusting for distance than aiming, which is why I switched. I hope this helps.

Like mauser said, ask a lot of questions and don't be shy. Most guys (and gals)here are more than willing to help.

Quick Reply: what do you sight your bow in at?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.