Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

will i ever be able to hunt this stand

Old 04-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default will i ever be able to hunt this stand

with the wind coming mostly from the west will i ever be able to effectively hunt this stand? i cannot hunt the woods where the deer are buy i can hunt in the bean field and the fence row to the south. should i wait on a perfect day or buy scent lok and practice great scent control and hope for the best? i can hunt the 140 acres to the north of the highway but i found some nice sheds in the field and jumped 27 deer shed hunting the woods

Old 04-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: will i ever be able to hunt this stand

The winds never come out of the north? I also bet some deer will travel that hedge row back to the woods. what about hte woods on the other side?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

i can hunt the woods to the west also but i have not seen and sign....all the sign i have found is out of that corner where i have the stand...also directly behind the stand is railroad tracks....so the only good thing about the trax is it should give me pretty good quite access to the stand..
Old 04-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

the winds change with seasons
Old 04-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

im thinking the winds came from the south west last fall???
Old 04-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would choose the best dayan try it, you can not get him if you are not there.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I think I would wait for a low pressure system to arriveand see if I could get a North-to-South wind. Or that one day when it is just dead calm. From how far away can you watch that corner? If the deer are willing to move through there when the wind is out of the NW, I would think you are in luck. Do you have other areas to hunt, so you can save this stand for that one perfect day?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a stand once I put up with about a month of the season left, and waitedthe rest of theseason to hunt it. It was strictly a morning stand and the wind was always wrong. I never hunted it but left it in place. The next season more of the same for about a month. Then one week we had a couple days with an East wind. I climbed in it and in two days in a row shot a buck. A couple weeks later a visitor came to hunt. The wind called for an East wind. I put him in it and he shot a bigger deer than the two I'd taken. The next year I never got that East wind when I could hunt. Sometimes you just got to wait and be patient. Somewhere along there you'll have a North or West/North/westerly wind. Then too, it's possible you could slip in quietly before sun up and catch something skirting the field coming back to the woods. You have to make sure no one else can hunt it and screw it up with a wrong wind too.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah if the wind changes directions you's would be in the money and like lpv77 said what about the woods on the other side of the field

Old 04-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

if the wind changed directions you'd be in the money and like lpv77 said what about the timber on the other side of the field

Quick Reply: will i ever be able to hunt this stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.