Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

will i ever be able to hunt this stand

Old 04-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: will i ever be able to hunt this stand

You will get the right wind eventually. I have stands set up for all different kinds of winds. Just be patient, it only takes one hunt to get that big one!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

oops sorry guys clicked sumthin wrong
Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Something that I've never tried, but an idea I read about here on this site years ago:
Visit the stand periodically and hang a dirty sock or Tshirt in it once in a while, the critters will smell it but eventually realize that there is no threat and get used to it (thats the theory anyways). Like I said, I've never tried this, but it sorta makes sense, and if you really think you may never hunt the stand anyways you really have nothing to lose.
There was even a thread a long time ago about putting a dummy in a stand for the deer to get accustomed to!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tschaef

Something that I've never tried, but an idea I read about here on this site years ago:
Visit the stand periodically and hang a dirty sock or Tshirt in it once in a while, the critters will smell it but eventually realize that there is no threat and get used to it (thats the theory anyways). Like I said, I've never tried this, but it sorta makes sense, and if you really think you may never hunt the stand anyways you really have nothing to lose.
There was even a thread a long time ago about putting a dummy in a stand for the deer to get accustomed to!
Haha, id stick to hunting the wind...thats just me though
Old 04-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

i can watch the deer from a very safe distance from the roof of the house across the highway. i cant hunt the woods and fencerow to the west of the bean field but i dont think it gets much activity due to houses and no other woods. i have over a hundred acres across the highway to the north i hunt. i am the only one allowed to hunt ne of this and the guy that owns the woods by my stand doesnt allow anyone to hunt...i patroll the land daily as does the land owner
Old 04-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

here is a new pic with all the land i can hunt

Old 04-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like some pretty good property. Personally i thik the stand that you are questioning is probably your best bet, its on the edge of the biggest timber in the area....
Old 04-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

so i should hunt this stand in the morning? i should try to go around the field and get in stand while they are still in the field and try to get them on the way back in? that should put the wind more in my favor if there in the field...right?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:59 PM

Go to weatherunderground.com. The site can give you a history of weather conditions for your area last year. Check for a N/W, N , and East wind. That's your best bet for that stand. I would bet that one of those wind conditions occured 50% of the time during the season. Also , put yhe stand on the south side of the fence row.

I would not bother trying that stand in the morning w/ the wrong wind. The mature bucks will USUALLY be in bed way before shooting light. You'll only educate the does. I would throw caution to the wind(no pun intended) only during the rut when the bucks are goin' crazy. You may see multiple traveling bucks and they may not give your scent a second thought if they're following a hot doe. This would be a "what have I got to loose" tactic.
Good Luck
Old 04-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

this may sound stupid but when u say east wind do u mean blowing to or from the east

Quick Reply: will i ever be able to hunt this stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.