Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

IDEAL TREESTAND HEIGHT?

Old 04-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default IDEAL TREESTAND HEIGHT?

Now that I have my climber, I want to start practicing shooting from it. I'd like to know what some of you experienced bowhunters consider the best height for hunting from your treestand? I know that it will probably vary based on geography/terrain, but in an ideal setting, what is your preferred height, and why?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: IDEAL TREESTAND HEIGHT?

No higher than it takes for me to achieve the following:

1. Good thermals
2. Good cover
3. Clear shooting lanes

(with No. 2 being the MOST important)

My opinion.....

It's likely in the 20' range, MOST days. This isn't a contest to see who can climb the highest. You'e out there to kill deer......and safety is NOT to be overlooked for the sake of seeing who can pee highest on the wall. The deer won't know the difference.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:15 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

No higher than it takes for me to achieve the following:

1. Good thermals
2. Good cover
3. Clear shooting lanes

(with No. 2 being the MOST important)

My opinion.....

It's likely in the 20' range, MOST days. This isn't a contest to see who can climb the highest. You'e out there to kill deer......and safety is NOT to be overlooked for the sake of seeing who can pee highest on the wall. The deer won't know the difference.
What he said.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's what is posted above!! But it also depends on where you hunt, Here in Mich. you need to hunt higher about 25 ft because of all presure put on the deer. But I find while hunting in ILL. or IA we hunt quite abit lower even 10 ft at times because the deer are just alot less presured.. Walt
Old 04-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do agree with what's been said but my preference is right between 18 and 22 feet.. For whitetails that is.

Bear much lower.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:24 AM

Nothing wrong with letting the tree, terrain and other variables determine how high you go. 10' to 25' is likely very common. You may end up finding one tree where you can set-up at 20' but may come across another where you wouldn't want to go any higher than 10' given cover, etc...I would take your stand out and shoot some from differing heights.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

One final part to the question. If you're 25 feet up, and you have a shooter get within 10 yards before you can get a shot off,would you take a shot with that steep of an angle, orwould you wait for a less acute angle?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

25' up and 10 YARDS out????

Yep. I'm sending it down range. Aim for the exit hole, though (I learned the HARD way about this). You're going to HAVE to consciously think about the path that arrow is going to take THROUGH that animal.

Good luck.

EDIT: I also PRACTICE this shot.......a LOT.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, guys. That's what I was needing to know. Some questions may sound a little stupid to some of you experienced guys, but the answers prepare some of us new guys for what we'll encounter.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

I ussaly hunt 25-30 feet up in a tree if possible. It is better cause is minimizes your chance of being seen and it is out of the deers sighting area. like the deer will be looking ahead and can probly see about 20 feet up with looking straight ahead and stuff

I drew a quick diagram to show what i mean

Quick Reply: IDEAL TREESTAND HEIGHT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.