Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow hunting black bear from ground

Old 04-09-2007, 09:43 AM

Default RE: bow hunting black bear from ground

Never had a problem with a shot bear, it's the curious teenager bears in camp that cause all the grief.

Stalking the beaches and grass flats with a bow for bears in the spring is one of the best forms of hunting. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

We are doing it this year. I plan on having my camera person film me while I sit on achair with no blind. I may hang a donut off of my boot for even more excitement and thrill.

All I gotta say is watch your back Don. Those bears can be pretty sneaky. But I do think they are more afraid of us than we are of them. Kind of like a whitetail, if they know you're there you won't even see them.
Actually I feel that on most of my 8 bear hunts that I have been on, the bears all pretty well knew I was there and they just tolerated me. I have gotten way high and they still just know that a hunter is there IMO and many of my other bear hunting friends' opinions. You are right about the sneaky aspect of their behavior; blink your eyes and they are there. Many times I have never heard them and as if by magic, they have appeared.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Banned

We hunt Canada and the liberals took away their handgun rights so we don't even carry any firearm on us while bear hunting.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 AM

Actually I feel that on most of my 8 bear hunts that I have been on, the bears all pretty well knew I was there and they just tolerated me. I have gotten way high and they still just know that a hunter is there IMO and many of my other bear hunting friends' opinions. You are right about the sneaky aspect of their behavior; blink your eyes and they are there. Many times I have never heard them and as if by magic, they have appeared.
My brown bear knew I was there, he looked right at me while I was at full draw holding on him at 17 yards, he just didn't know what I was and being that I wasn't another brown bear he didn't perceive a threat and went about his business taking that last fatal step that exposed his vitals.

The black bears I've been around have been hunted enough that they won't tolerate any presence of anything around them (they've been getting beat up by other black bears, brown bears or shot at by humans) when they sense something is up, they're gone.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

KA,
The black bear is king of the jungle in Canada and Canadians don't even hunt bears for the most part. Mainly us Americans are hunting them and they just don't really fear man as Canadians see them all of the time while picking blueberries and no harm comes to the bear except from Americans. Canadian hunts are over bait only(for the most part) as there is nothing but thick bush and no visibility for spot and stalk hunting. The problem with a bear bait treestand is that it is setup and shooting lanes are cleared for that one position. You hunt that stand regardless of the wind direction and generally you have no option as the guide is not going to move you to another stand so you can always have the wind in your favor. The bears will usually scent the hunter IMO, he weighs the odds of you hurting him, and his hunger either overcomes his concern, or he hits the bait in the dark when you are not there.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:28 AM

KA,
The black bear is king of the jungle in Canada and Canadians don't even hunt bears for the most part. Mainly us Americans are hunting them and they just don't really fear man as Canadians see them all of the time while picking blueberries and no harm comes to the bear except from Americans. Canadian hunts are over bait only(for the most part) as there is nothing but thick bush and no visibility for spot and stalk hunting. The problem with a bear bait treestand is that it is setup and shooting lanes are cleared for that one position. You hunt that stand regardless of the wind direction and generally you have no option as the guide is not going to move you to another stand so you can always have the wind in your favor. The bears will usually scent the hunter IMO, he weighs the odds of you hurting him, and his hunger either overcomes his concern, or he hits the bait in the dark when you are not there.

ALMOST 100% correct. Young bears don't fear humans. Older bears are scared sheetless of people and will be long gone as soon as they see, hear, or smell you.

You must be hunting with the wrong guides if they don't try to play the wind in your favor.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:42 PM

yes the older ones are scared crapless, the one I am triing to bais is one I seen last fall, I along with other people who have saw him think he is around the 400 pound mark , I seen him when I was taking my kids grouse hunting, whe I seen him I grabed the 270, then he was gone, so I hope he hits my bait and sticks around.

THANKS guys, you all seem pretty good, and it sounds like you know what your all talking about, I am A Canadian, I live 10 minutes away from all the government land you could ever emagine, and there is a ton of game here!