Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pro Shop Question?

Old 04-07-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Pro Shop Question?

I went to my local pro shop the other day and asked to try a few drop away rests. They said I couldn't because they didn't have any set-up and they would have to open packages and modify the orignal rest to fit the test bows.

Well how the heck am I supposed to make a $100+ purchase without trying the rest first?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pro Shop Question?

I would look for a different pro shop! I went thru 4 different shops before I found the right one! Needless to say 2 of the other shops are now "Out of Business"..... Good luck!
Old 04-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Host of Hosts

Not that it's right, but alot of pro-shops don't open rests or sights to try out. Bows are a different story.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:34 PM

Here is the full story.

I walked into the archery shop, asked to try a few drop aways. They directed me to a few bows that already had WB's set up. I fired a few arrows and asked again to try out the drop aways. A few minutes later, the manager...I think he was the shop manager...came up to me and said they would have to break open a few packages and "customize" the rests to the individual bows. Thus throwing their money away...

I said forget about it because the guy was acting like an .... well I can't say it here.

The next thing I know.....here comes a shop person with a customers bow...the bow was obviously in for maintenance...the customer not at the shop...I said no freaking way am I shooting someone's bow...who doesn't even know I am handling his!

Can you believe that?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Can someone tell me how a shop bow needs to be customized to shoot a Trophy Taker Prong Horn rest?

1. You need to physically take off the WB rest on the tester bow.
2. You need to screw on the TTPH rest.
3. You need to tie an overhand knot on the cables of the tester bow. No cutting required because the excess cord can just hang. IT IS A TESTER BOW!
4. You need to draw the bow back to make sure the rest comes up at the proper moment.
5. Screw on the lazer center shot tool and make sure it is centered.

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO? I feel my shop is being lazy. NOT ACCEPTABLE. Man I am dissapointed.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:17 PM

I can't speak for that shop, but at ours, you can try anything we have before you buy it..
Old 04-07-2007, 07:18 PM

That's the impression that I got when I first started going to this shop.

Now....it has changed...and for the worst I must say.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:45 AM

Let me make sure Iunderstand this correctly. You didn't want the rest installed on your bow. Right? You wanted to see it working on a demo bow?

If this is the case, it could have just been taken out of the package and demonstrated even w/o putting it on a bow. Putting it on a bow to show you the 'action' really wouldn't be that difficult. We usually have several styles alreadyinstalled on demo bows.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:34 AM

Honestly I didn't care whether or not it was installed on my bow or a shop bow. I just figured that they would have at least one drop away on a shop bow I could try.

Guess not.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:45 AM

I personally wouldn't expect a shop to take a rest out of the package and set it up on a bow just so I could look at it. Would be nice if they had one set up that way, but most just use flipper rests for demo bows.

Some rests would need to be set up and tuned to the draw length you wanted in order to work properly. Others like the Muzzy Zero effect would need to have a piece cut to function correctly. I mean there is no sense in you looking at a rest if it isn't set up right?

I suppose if this was a shop you did a lot of business with and were serious about getting one, or you were buying a new bow as well I could see them doing it. But if you were just some dude walking in off the street goofing around I wouldn't expect it to happen.

Now that being said I don't see a problem with taking one out and showing or explaining to you how it works. And most of the shops in my area have several bows in the shop that are set up. Both customer bows and employees. I would bet if there was a particular rest I wanted to look at someone might have it on their bow and I could watch it in action.

I'm not really saying you are asking too much, I'm just saying personally I wouldn't expect it. I will be honest I have never asked a shop in my area to do this. If there are shops that will do this that is fantastic and I applaud them. I have been in shops that would pull a $200 release out of a package for you to try. So realistically the only difference would be the time to set up the rest properly.

You do know though that you belong to one of the best archery websites on the net, right? If you want to know how something works all you have to do is ask. If you ask really nice you might even get video of it. Due to this site and others like it I probably know more than most of the people working in my local shops. I really can't believe more of them don't utilize the internet to talk to other shop owners and people that support their lively hood. Most of the shops in my area are pretty darn good, but we have a few that are just sad.

Just my opinion though.

Paul

Quick Reply: Pro Shop Question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.