Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pro Shop Question?

Old 04-08-2007, 07:51 AM

Default RE: Pro Shop Question?

I have a small shop and would have no problem doing that, I have sent things home with people to try because they can have more time to see if an item works for them, but again I'm a small shop and customer service is paramount to survive against the box stores (and I haven't been burnt by a customer yet!!)
Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I suppose if this was a shop you did a lot of business with and were serious about getting one, or you were buying a new bow as well I could see them doing it. But if you were just some dude walking in off the street goofing around I wouldn't expect it to happen.

Paul
I spent about 2k last year at this shop. I also visit this shop almost weekly. Hopefully that eliminates me from being just a dude walking in from off of the street.

I wouldn't expect the average bow shop to start opening packages and setting up bows for me. But I do expecta shop who wants to sell a $100+ rest to have something similar for an archer to try.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Then I don't see a big problem with your request unless, like Paul said, it requires avery specific and lengthysetup like that of a MZE. I pulled a Whammy out of the package just the other day to show a customer how the action worked. No big problem.

Did you make someone mad at the shop???
Old 04-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

Then I don't see a big problem with your request unless, like Paul said, it requires a very specific and lengthy setup like that of a MZE. I pulled a Whammy out of the package just the other day to show a customer how the action worked. No big problem.

Len you would think if the MZE is a pain in the arse to set up, they would already have one on a shop bow, ready to shoot. But thats just me thinking! I would find another shop for sure!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:02 PM

You're right. That's why I have several MZEs on demo bows in my shop.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I personally wouldn't expect a shop to take a rest out of the package and set it up on a bow just so I could look at it. Would be nice if they had one set up that way, but most just use flipper rests for demo bows.

I suppose if this was a shop you did a lot of business with and were serious about getting one, or you were buying a new bow as well I could see them doing it. But if you were just some dude walking in off the street goofing around I wouldn't expect it to happen.

I'm not really saying you are asking too much, I'm just saying personally I wouldn't expect it. I will be honest I have never asked a shop in my area to do this. If there are shops that will do this that is fantastic and I applaud them.

Paul
I'm completely with Paul on this one. They should be willing to take it out of the packaging and demonstrate how it functions and explain its strengths and weaknesses. The only thing setting a rest up on a bow for you does is what exactly? You can't see it function when you shoot it anyway. If they don't take the time to get the rest tuned for the bow/arrow/archer then it doesn't shoot well, you call it a piece of junk and then they'restuck with a "used" rest (because you're probably the same guy that would complain if they tried to sell it for "new" price now that it's been shot). Kudos to the shop that'll take the time to do this type of thing but I can't blame the ones who don't; profit on a $100 rest is only about $30, if they spend an hour trying to sell one they're going backwards.

Now if you bought the rest a good shop should take the time to make sure it is properly installed and tuned for you and your bow, to me that's where the customer service should really kick in at a decent proshop. It's got to be a two way street, if the shop can't make a profit, they aren't going to stay in business and you're not going to have one to utilize, but they've got to earn your business through good customer service. Just be reasonable in your expectations.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just wanted you to know that the Trophy Taker Black Pronghorn only cost me $69 at my local Gander Mtn. last year. If they are charging $100, that would be another reason to do your business elsewhere.

By the way I like the rest. I've heard good things about the MZE also.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

Certainly not. I might have just caughta staff member at a wrong time.

I am all about second chances. I will head up there and see if I can open up some packages (just the three I am considering) and take it from there.

QAD Ultra Rest HD, Trophy Taker Prong Horn and Ripcord are the ones I am looking at. The QAD is over $100, the TTPH was around $75 and the Ripcord....I think was $85.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

I'm completely with Paul on this one. They should be willing to take it out of the packaging and demonstrate how it functions and explain its strengths and weaknesses. The only thing setting a rest up on a bow for you does is what exactly? You can't see it function when you shoot it anyway. If they don't take the time to get the rest tuned for the bow/arrow/archer then it doesn't shoot well, you call it a piece of junk and then they'restuck with a "used" rest (because you're probably the same guy that would complain if they tried to sell it for "new" price now that it's been shot). Kudos to the shop that'll take the time to do this type of thing but I can't blame the ones who don't; profit on a $100 rest is only about $30, if they spend an hour trying to sell one they're going backwards.

Now if you bought the rest a good shop should take the time to make sure it is properly installed and tuned for you and your bow, to me that's where the customer service should really kick in at a decent proshop. It's got to be a two way street, if the shop can't make a profit, they aren't going to stay in business and you're not going to have one to utilize, but they've got to earn your business through good customer service. Just be reasonable in your expectations.
Good points. I am sure they will make their profit off of me. 1 dozen arrows, a new peep and an arrow rest should complete my transaction.

You make a good point about the "used" rest. I was just thinking that at some point in the last year or so someone would have walked into the shop before I did and ask to shoot a drop away. I didn't know that I was going to be the first!

"Because you'reprobably the same guy that would complain if they try to sell it for new price now that it's been shot"

Dude...you don't even know me. Where did that come from?
Old 04-09-2007, 02:03 PM

I don't think he was aiming that comment at you. I think it was a hypothetical sort of thing. Like he meant the same type of guy that would have someone slap a rest on a bow and then not buy it because it didn't perform right would be the same sort of guy that would cry about it being a used rest at a later date. I don't think he meant YOU specifically, at least I sure didn't see it that way. Like me he has probably met A-holes like this, and I don't think any of use believe you are this type of person.

Kodiak, thanks for not quoting me out of context, you did a great job of summarizing what I said. Too bad I can't do that when I type.

I have another question, were you just wanting to see A drop away work? To see what the hype is about or how they function? Or were you wanting to see a specific model demonstrated. I can't believe that shop didn't have one bow with some sort of drop away installed on it. I have asked that question before and a few of the guys that worked in the shop showed me their personal bows and how the rests worked. I don't think it is too much asking that a shop has at least a few of their products ready to demonstrate, especially something as popular as the drop away rests.

However expecting them to have every gimmick, gadget and new rest that comes out mounted to a bow is asking a bit much in my opinion. There is a lot of pretty iffy stuff out there or stuff that is fairly similar.

Reminds me of something that happened at the shop I used to go to, where I got my first compound bow. I asked about a product, may very well have been a drop away rest when they first came out. He bluntly told me he didn't carry them because he thought they were junk! However if I wanted one I could get one at cabela's about 20 minutes down the road. He wasn't mean about it, just stating his opinion. I loved that old man, he was funny. Too bad he passed away while jogging one day.

Paul

Quick Reply: Pro Shop Question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.