Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to get the girlfriend...

Old 04-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Default How to get the girlfriend...

....into the woods to come bowhunting this fall, and hopefully gun hunting too. I've been trying to get her to come out with me for the past year. She came out once for gun season, but I still haven't convinced her that it is fun yet. How do I do it guys!?!?! She loves the outdoors, we hike almost everyday in the summer and she's getting almost as good as I am at spotting deer in low light conditions (thats saying something on her part too, she had catarac (sp) surgery two years ago). So again, how do you convince the gf/wife/mistress, lol, to get out into the woods?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to get the girlfriend...

Make sure that the first 2-3 times you both go out in the woods, that you have high chances for success. IMO, that's has a lot to do with it. Once they have fun 2-3 times, they'll want to keep going back for more. I've found this to be true for anyone beginning in the sport. Also, make sure the weather conditions are comfortable, and that she is comfortable as well.

Maybe it's wrong... but go place a couple shed antlers out in the woods. Then take her shed hunting and see what she can find!!

Just start off easy, and then get into the harder stuff.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

You can't BELIEVE how surprised I was when MY wife said she wanted to go track my first deer with me, last Fall! I think that was a GREAT way to get her introduced.

With deer, though.....she has NO DESIRES to see one killed. She'll help me retrieve them.....and she eats 'em up, heartily. But....she would FREAK if she saw one actually die in front of her.

So....I don't take her deer hunting.

Now turkey hunting.....she'll probably go and sit in the blind with me a few times. She's knows how nasty these critters are to one another.....and she doesn't have the same respect for them that she has for whitetails. She'd as soon me arrow one as to look at it . I hope I can make her happy!

If I get a good morning to put her in a lock-on with a camera, this Fall.....I'll do that. She just CAN'T be in sight of me when mama deer (or papa) gets the air let out.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff guys. My GF (she's a keeper) loves the outdoors and loves to hike, fish, etc. She even helped me last year hanging stands during pre season and goes spotting with me at night (it's legal in PA during off season) and holds the spotlight for me. She also goes glassing in the late summer with me. She has an interest in shooting the bow for target archery, but just like Jeff said about his wife she has NO interest in watching a deer die. I think she would maybe do OK though turkey hunting or small game.........we will see. I may see if she wants to sit in a blind with me this spring a bit during turkey season. I would love for her to see a bird all worked up and gobbling his head off, she might just end up hooked. I think this next archery season I may take her out to sit with me in a blind at one of my doe hotspots and just let her experience being close to the animals. I havea few spots where you can see a doe up close any day of the week if the wind is right and if the stand isn't overhunted. If she is comfortable with me shooting when she is there and the opportunity presents itself I might just take one with her there but I will probably leave that up to her discretion. With any luck I may get her hooked and end up with the best hunting partner ever.

Sorry APAJaws, your a pretty good hunting buddy..............but she's quite a bit hotter than you. [8D]
Old 04-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Sorry APAJaws, your a pretty good hunting buddy..............but she's quite a bit hotter than you. [8D]
THIS STATEMENT IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!!!

(Did I say that, out loud???)
Old 04-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

THIS STATEMENT IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!!!

(Did I say that, out loud???)
LOL!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'm the only guy in the world who likes the fact that my girlfriend doesn't hunt nor does she show any interest in going with me. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death and love spending every minute I can with her, but I enjoy my alone time in the woods with nobody else around so I can clear my head and enjoy nature.

Or maybe I'm just nuts.....
Old 04-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

I think I'm the only guy in the world who likes the fact that my girlfriend doesn't hunt nor does she show any interest in going with me. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death and love spending every minute I can with her, but I enjoy my alone time in the woods with nobody else around so I can clear my head and enjoy nature.

nope!! I am with you!! I did try though, do not make that mistake!!

EDIT:

That is if they are not intersted, don't try and force it.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

I like hunting both ways, with Don and without. I personally love the hunts where I am all alone just me and nature! Those are my favorite. But, I also really like hanging out with him on hunts. I loved it when he was there with me when I got my buck this year. It was awesome sharing that with my best bud. One of my fav times of my life was when I got my bear, by myself in the timber of Canada miles from anyone. It will be a life moment for me for the rest of my life. It made it the best because it was just me and the bear!! So I understand where you are coming from, you can have it both ways though, and that just ROCKS.

Back to the original question, if she is into it, she will let you know. Just ask her to join you, if she goes great, if not, just keep inviting her.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM

I am going to join with those that are glad their girl doesn't hunt. I am with my wife a lot. My hunting time is time for me. I would rather her not be there. She has said that she wants to go with me to see if she likes it. I am just hoping she doesn't.

I am, however, thinking of taking my son this coming season or next. He started asking to go with me this past year (he turns 4 next week). I am looking forward to having the best hunting buddy anybody could ask for: their kid!

Quick Reply: How to get the girlfriend...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.