Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back From Kansas (more pictures added page: 4)

Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Back From Kansas (more pictures added page: 4)

Thanks everyone for the warm wishes on GMMAT's thread on my update from Kansas.

I had a fantastic trip. Like MOHO said in his reply, there are a ton of turkeys in KS due to great wildlife management etc. I was hunting with Kurt and Mike Nunnenkamp of Paradise Adventures, a real top notch place for the avid sportsman. Kurt and Mike are very good friends and part of River Valley Game Calls choice outfitters. KS has never had bow only season prior to thier spring shotgun season for bearded turkeys (toms or hens).

We (tkycaller) and I flew out of Harrisburg, PA on Saturday morning arriving for a plane change in Atlanta then on to Tulsa, OK where we picked up our rental car. A short two hour drive north and we were at Paradise Adventures in Altoona, KS. http://www.paradiseadventuresinkansas.com/

The camp was very inviting and beautiful and once settled in and the meets and greets were over we headed out to set an additional blind. I was very excited when we arrived at the field to set the blind, birds were everywhere. We were set to hunt DB blinds in strut zones that Kurt and his brother Mike have been following for years. We made plans for the next morning opener where I would be hunting with Kurt and tkycaller ("Wags") would hunt with Denton, a new guide of Kurts. Morning came quickly and Kurt and I headed out for our blind location. We were running a little late and the gobblers were sounding off as we approached the setup. We settled in and got comfortable. The gobblers continued to sound off and the hens carried on. Kurt told me if they do what they've been doing for weeks they'd end up in front of the of the blind on the field access road, a known strut zone. It wasn't long when we saw hens running about and suddenly I saw the white heads of toms coming our way. 3 toms came strutting up the access road. As we nervously awaited the toms to come around the brush and for a shot, hens and gobblers sounded off from the right and I started counting as the hens filed past the opposite way. Suddenly 3 toms came strutting in from that direction. I picked the front bird which seemed like the "head" bird and the camera was rolling. I asked if he was ready, he said "yes, take your time". At 30 yards I sent an ACC tipped with a Rocky Mountain Snyper through a strutting gobbler. He jumped in the air, the other gobblers sounded off and we watched as this arrowed bird toppled across the ground expiring not 50 yards away. As the camera turned toward me I nervously stuttered the immediate events to the camera. I was so pumped for my first gobbler with a bow, he ended up being a crossed RIO Grande/Eastern and what a beautiful specimen.

1st bird, 21 lb. RIO/Eastern mix, 1" spurs 10" beard.

Seen here back at camp with Kurt Nunnenkamp:

I probably could have taken a second bird shortly after this first one. As we did the post shot interview etc...birds where running every where as they seemed to be getting back together after the shot. We called and had several toms answer us. We decided to see what we could pull in for some still photos but I decided not to take my second bird this morning but to wait til that night or tomorrow as we forgot to take a new tape for the camera and we didn't want to take a bird without the footage. I simply wanted some still photos and caught some excellent ones seen here:

That night we setup a blind in another area. An oak flat on a side hill which was absolutley beautiful. We both took naps early on and decided that if nothing happened there, to take the blind to another known strut zone. That's exactly what we did and headed home early for supper and then wait til morning for good morning light.

That next morning we were in the blinds nice and early. Nothing gobbled off the roast here but suddenly a hen flew into the field. I heard a gobbler off to our left and called to him, he answered immediately. It didn't take him long to come strutting past us. When I was on the bird, the camera wasn't and vise versa and he came but full strut on a trot.

A second bird entered the field and crossed by us out of range several times. We had Mary Lew out in front of us, Paradise Adventures mounted hen. He wanted to come into her but I felt he was nervous as a subbordinant bird. The other gobbler soon gobbled his way off and this second bird came by a few more times.

When this bird above finally committed to come in range, he was to thr left of ud where there was no shot opportunity. His head was turning red and he committed to coming to the deke. As he came in and the camera was running I called a head shot. I told the camp that if I was lucky enough to take my first bird, I was head shooting the second one. At 16 yards I sent my ACC on it's way. Later I learned as I watched the footage, the arrow missed within a fraction of an inch with a blazer nicking the birds head, as the arrow whizzed by, the birds head got knocked sideways. The bird jumped and didn't know what happened and as the camera rolled and I hurried for another arrow I called body shot. I drew quickly and sent an ACC through the bird. Watching the footage it was neat to see the bird pole vault over the arrow, the bird ran into the field and faded onto the ground rolled over, kicked and expired not 30 yards later. Great footage.

2nd Bird, A great Eastern: 20 lbs, 1" spurs, 10" beard.

With both tags filled we headed back to camp to wait to see how tkycaller was doing. Each setup so far allowed Wags to shoot but an errant arrow, not a bird on the ground yet.

They came back into camp and we headed out that night to set a blind for the next last mornings hunt. We had 3 cameras ready when a solid gobbler strolled into view. He stood tall and proud and nervous. He slowly and smoothly came into Wag's seductive calling. With 3 cameras and 3 different views Wags arrowed his first gobbler with a bow and a beautiful Rio Grande seen here with his guide Denton from Pittsburg, PA.

All these hunts will be available for viewing on River Valley Game Calls Vol IV of the HeadHunters series due out later this year and perhaps American Outdoorsman. Vol III thru I are available now.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Toto, I'm Back From Kansas (lots of pics).

Well done Rob, glad you had a good hunt! Great looking birds.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

What an awesome hunt Rob and a great start to the season!!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats Rob
Awesome bird , glad you had a great time.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great time. I'm hoping that they will have that head shot of yours in slow motion on the video.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM

Those are some big birds. How long is the beard on the last one?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Rob, Congrats on the birds. They're dandy's. Awesome pics, man. I'm jealous. Way to go.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome hunt and awesome stories...i cant wait to see the footage. I also cant wait to put my first bird of the year on the ground. Hopefully it will happen this weekend!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL I just posted my story!!! Great time had by all even with some errant arrows.
It is tougher than it looks on film.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome... Simply awesome, buddy!!! Great write-up as usual (maybe even better than usual, if possible ) and ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC photos!

If you think of it, remind me when that DVD comes out; I definitely want to order one!

Quick Reply: Back From Kansas (more pictures added page: 4)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.