Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Muzzy vs expandable broadheads

Old 04-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muzzy vs expandable broadheads

That's the problem. I love my Muzzy 3 blades. Even the 3-blades are not worth giving up. The second part of this though is what is a good mechanical? Not, if I tune my bow will that fix the problem.

Therefore, unless someone is going to offer a constructiveresponse, please refrain from responding. Too many of these posts get out of hand because of people just shooting off and get way off topic.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, Its up to you which broadhead you use, I carry both Mechs and Fixed in my quiver. Muzzy is a fine head and will shoot accurately w/ a well tuned bow, Ive killed many deer w/ the 3-blades. I make sure my fixed heads, mech heads, and field tips all group together.

One thing to check when you tune is arrow spine. I didnt run the numbers from the arrows in your sig, but it helped me a lot to bareshaft tune. I could only do so much w/ my rest and nock point to get a good tune, after a bareshaft tune i discovered my arrows were underspined and i had to make some corrections to achieve good broadhead flight.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

just read your question bout a good mechanical...

I suggest a rear-ward opening blade such as Rage or Rcky Mtn Snpyer... They are practically failsafe due to their design, and are completely open before penetration.

Ive used the snypers and the entrance wound is much bigger than the exit wounds, due to the "over opening" its a pretty wicked head in my book...
Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

I've been using Muzzys for years.I just bought my Allegiance and noticed that the Muzzy's shoot low and to the left compared to the field tips.I guess I could say that the path is consistant. Would you tune the Muzzy's or go expandable? If expadable, what would any of you recommend in a 125 gr?
When my broadheads were doing that it was suggested that my arrows were a little overspined. When I went from a 100gr broadhead to a 125gr broadhead they started hitting much closer to my field tips. when I went to a 125gr field tip and tuned my bow with them then everything started hitting together. I am guessing from your other posts that you are using a 125gr broadhead already so perhaps you can change to a different arrow, something lighter/less spine?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing wrong with Muzzy's, nay is there anything wrong with expandables. If you double lung a deer with either, your results will be similar. However, you do need to address how your bow is shooting the Muzzy's. If you have a good supply of them, and they have given you good results in the past (as they have countless thousands of hunters), then I would stick with what you have.

If you prefer an expandable, your Allegence will provide plenty of Kenetic Energy to get the job done ethically, assuming you are hunting medium sized game, no larger than mule deer. Anything larger or more heavily boned, and I would stick with a cut on contact, supersharp broadhead.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using Muzzys for many years with great success. Last year I purchased a Switchback XT, and the Muzzys where grouping well but 2" to the right, I moved my sight just alittle and I was right in there, I also went with BLAZER VANES, and they do make a difference. If I went with expandables I would go with the RAGE 2 blade, but the Muzzys are flying like darts
Old 04-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

When my broadheads were doing that it was suggested that my arrows were a little overspined. When I went from a 100gr broadhead to a 125gr broadhead they started hitting much closer to my field tips. when I went to a 125gr field tip and tuned my bow with them then everything started hitting together. I am guessing from your other posts that you are using a 125gr broadhead already so perhaps you can change to a different arrow, something lighter/less spine?
According to OnTaget the CX 3D Select have a spine of .370 and is underspined for the 125's. However, the 125 field tips shoot great and besides being low and to the left the last time I shot the Muzzy's I did not see any porposing or fishtailing and looked to have good contact with target. I'm going to call CX tomorrow and get the exact spine for the arrows I have. I have no good place around me to shoot broadheads. (The range only allows field tips) Unless i want to shoot about 10 yds thru my apartment.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since your shooting an allegiance, Im guessing your getting pretty good arrow speed. Ive never been a big fan of muzzy's, but I would deffiently look at some of the shorter furrell broadheads. Muzzy MX3 and 4, G5 strykers are my personal favorite, Rocket makes some, plenty to choose from and they all should give you better arrow flight.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: passthru79

Since your shooting an allegiance, Im guessing your getting pretty good arrow speed. Ive never been a big fan of muzzy's, but I would deffiently look at some of the shorter furrell broadheads. Muzzy MX3 and 4, G5 strykers are my personal favorite, Rocket makes some, plenty to choose from and they all should give you better arrow flight.
I haven't had the chance to chrono it yet. However, according to ontarget I should be around 305 fps even with smooth mods. I'll take that with a grain of salt though. The G5's look pretty sweet. I'll try tuing first and see what happens. Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

According to OnTaget the CX 3D Select have a spine of .370 and is underspined for the 125's. However, the 125 field tips shoot great and besides being low and to the left the last time I shot the Muzzy's I did not see any porposing or fishtailing and looked to have good contact with target. I'm going to call CX tomorrow and get the exact spine for the arrows I have. I have no good place around me to shoot broadheads. (The range only allows field tips) Unless i want to shoot about 10 yds thru my apartment.
Perhaps if you were using a 30" arrow instead of a 28.25" that might make a difference?

Quick Reply: Muzzy vs expandable broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.