Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Old 04-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

I just spent a little time with the Crossbow crowd and theyfiercely defended their position thatcrossbowsareno less challenging than compound bows.

I (mistakenly, according to them) differentiated between bowhunting and crossbow hunters. I bet this bridge has been crossed before,I wanted to get your .02 cents worth about why the use of crossbows isNOT considered bowhunting by many.

In all honesty, I have never seen anyone use a crossbow, but I know they are not allowed in most places during archery season.

Thanks for the input. Keep it clean!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

LEEETTTT'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUUMMMBLE!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

To us No, to them Yes... While I try not to look down my nose at them, it's tough..probably like tradionalists look at compound users??

Just my honest opinion.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:18 PM

The laws say "no". Archery-only hunting ranches say "no". Many (I would say the majority) compound bowhunters say "no".

But.... if they only have a 30-40 yard effective range, why does everyone say "no"? Aren't modern compound bows more effective??? Just a question.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:24 PM

They don't bother me, if they were legal in my state I still wouldn't use one. Why?I don't see any advantages to it. No greater speed, range or accuracy. Easier to learn to shoot proficiently?...maybe, butI can already shoot my bow well enough to have fun and hunt with. Crossbows are for people with a handicap that keeps them from shooting a bow IMO
Old 04-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

It doesnt bother me if someone uses a crossbow, but I dont believe they should be allowed to be used during archery season. Although hunting with a compound bow and a traditional bow are two different kinds of hunting, they have the same basic principles. You draw the bow back when your ready to shoot, and release the arrow.

The only similarity of crossbows, is that you pull the string back. After that, you use it just like you would a rifle. Line up the shot and pull the trigger. To me, using a crossbow would be just like using a rifle except Id basically be substituting a giant rubber band for gunpowder. just my .02
Old 04-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

archeryOne entry found for archery.

Main Entry: ar·chery
Pronunciation: 'är-ch&-rE
Function: noun
1 : the art, practice, or skill of shooting with bow and arrow
2 : an archer's weapons
3 : a body of archers [/align][/align]Considering Websters definition of "archery", and given the fact that there is a "bow" in a crossbow, then yes, I would say using a crossbow is still archery. Many or most compound users would disagree, or at least say that putting a stock on a bow and leaving the bow drawn, in thier opinion, would be "cheating". I'm sure there are tons of traditional shooters who don't consider compound bow shooters as true archers. As with most controversial issues like this, it's all about how you feel and what you believe. [/align]Two questions for you, Dave.[/align]First, if you sustained an injury that made in impossible for you to shoot trad or compound, would you give up bow hunting altogether, or would you switch to a crossbow?[/align]Second, I followed your thread in the crossbow section as well as some of the others here and I'm just curious.... do you enjoystirring upcontroversy as this will obviously do? A large percentage of the guys in the crossbow forum had turned to crossbows because of injuries. The crossbow forum is labeled"this is not a crossbow debate forum".Why go in there in the first place if youalready know where you're going. [/align]
Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHunter46

It doesnt bother me if someone uses a crossbow, but I dont believe they should be allowed to be used during archery season. Although hunting with a compound bow and a traditional bow are two different kinds of hunting, they have the same basic principles. You draw the bow back when your ready to shoot, and release the arrow.

The only similarity of crossbows, is that you pull the string back. After that, you use it just like you would a rifle. Line up the shot and pull the trigger. To me, using a crossbow would be just like using a rifle except Id basically be substituting a giant rubber band for gunpowder. just my .02
And you couldn't shoot a deer any furhter away than you could with a bow, so to me there are no advantage to using one. Stick and a string just like a compound with a trigger release to me. I'm sure many traditional shooters would agree.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:01 PM

Hey Chief.

I enjoy a good debate, sure. But, if you followed the crossbow thread, like you claim you did, you would clearly see I never stirred any "controversy". Just trying to get as much insight as I can. If you dont like my post, dont read it!

If I sustained an injury, would I give up archery? No- I would use a crossbow, instead. If you followed the thread, like you claim you did, you would have known that "crossbow hunting IS archery".

Dont be so hard on me Chief, I have recently bet the farm on the archery industry and am just trying to get valuable insight from everyone. I could care less about "controversy".

ET2
USS Rentz FFG-46
90-96

Old 04-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

In NC.....they're legal during archery season (with a permit....perceivably due to a handicap).

I have no opinion on them.....and don't know more than 2 or 3 people who use them. It doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Quick Reply: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.