Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Art, you havefilm yourselfshooting it sometime. I'd love to see it in action.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

While it is shot completely different than a compound or traditional bow,the basic mechanical principles arethe same for all three. They all utilize energy stored in the limbs and propel an arrow by the use of a string. You can callit a bolt all you want and indeed that's it's proper name butwe all know it's just a short arrow. It has a tip/broadhead, insert,shaft (wood, aluminum, fiberglass or carbon fiber construction) nock and fletchings just likea compound or traditionalbows arrows do........it's an arrow.They both have the same effective range as well.

BigJohn, looks like were going tobutt head's on this one!

Your right, it is shot completely different, Just like a Rifle! It takes the Archer out of Archery.

And Your alsoright that they do share (some) of the same basic mechanical principles, but so does ariding Lawn Mower, a Motorcycle, and a M1 Tank! When they bolted it to a Rifle stock, they cut the Archer out of the picture.

You will not find the word Crossbow in Webster's under Archer or Archery, only Bow and Arrow's.

A shooter that uses a Crossbow is called a Crossbowman not an Archer.

I will call it a Bolt (shaft or missile for a Crossbow) You can call it a short arrow.

Do Bolt's have nock's on them now? (I don't know)

About 22 or 23 years ago I went to a 3D shoot that had a Crossbow set up for 100 yards,I shot 5 out of 5 in a paper plate at that distance the first time I everpicked one up, and I'm sure they have improved some what over that time, So I don't buy that same effective range as a compound.

I personally don't care if people want to separate the seasons or lump them together with the regular archery season, makes no difference to me. But make no mistake about it a crossbow is archery tackle and no amount ofdistain or hatred for it will change that fact.

Well it make's a difference to me in this state, they can use one in the early youth season a week befor Bow season opens, the Handycap season in the middle of Oct, the regular 15 day Rifle season in Nov, the 10 day Black Powder season in Dec, or the other 10 day late Rifle season in Dec, or if there incapable of shooting a Bow they can get a Doctors slip, and Hunt everyone's season.

John just because you say so, don't make it so, Fact is a Crossbow is half Bow, Half Gun, SHOT like a Gun, now try and spell Archery when you remove the Archer!

No distain or hatred here, Just trying to keep Archery season for Archer's for the last 23 years or so.

Everybody is going to have a different perception as to how "archery like" the shooting of a crossbow is. Some will think it more archery and some will not but that doesn't change what the weapon is.

Mark me down in the will not column, because I consider it a Gunbow, shot like a Gun, with no Archer involved!
Sliver,

You will get no arguments from meabout how a crossbow is shot. Most are shouldered like a rifle.

My only contention is they are more like a bow than a firearm. Bows use energy stored in their limbs and propel a "projectile" by the use of a string.

Firearms use energy from exploded gun powder to propel their "projectile" BIG difference in their basic operations.

Since you are so hung up on proper names and the word archer, please tell me where in the word crossbow do you see anything that makes mention to a firearm????

It's called a crossbow because it's a BOW mounted transversely on a stock. It's not a firearm with a bow mounted on it...oops, there I go again using the word bow. It's tough not to when it's in the name of the weapon you are trying to describe......but it's not a bow....nah

I never said it's shot like a compound or traditional bow, all I said is that it's more like a bow than a firearm.....and it is.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

You guys have got it backwards. Crossbows don't resemble rifles because they've been around nearly 2,000 years longer than firearms. Crossbows have been around since at least 350 BC. Around the 15th Century, some wise guy took a hand cannon and mounted it on a crossbow tiller and Bingo! The arquebus was invented. Saying a crossbow resembles a rifle is like saying a chariot resembles an Abrams tank.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

You guys have got it backwards. Crossbows don't resemble rifles because they've been around nearly 2,000 years longer than firearms. Crossbows have been around since at least 350 BC. Around the 15th Century, some wise guy took a hand cannon and mounted it on a crossbow tiller and Bingo! The arquebus was invented. Saying a crossbow resembles a rifle is like saying a chariot resembles an Abrams tank.
I couldn't agree more.

BTW, great looking crossbow you made there Arthur.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Saying a crossbow resembles a rifle is like saying a chariot resembles an Abrams tank.
That is HILARIOUS. I spit coffee all over the place.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

You know the crossbow has extened my hunting with gramps for at least 4 years. I was never more proud than when a 73 year old Vet arrowed a deer with the Cross Bow I help setup.

Family 1st folks!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:05 PM

I have no problems with crossbows and think they fit right into the world of archery. Anyone shooting one is welcome at my campfire and I would have no problems using one myself if it were legal.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome crossbow Arthur, though I have to admit I thought you had stuck a pepper grinder on the end.

This post has been a breath of fresh air. All I ever hear it seems are opinions that divide us all instead of bringing us all together. I don't nor have I ever used a crossbow for anything. However, if you are going to put in the time it takes to be a master of your weapon, so that you can humanely take an animal, welcome to the woods. We need more of you here.

In Indiana, hunters are allowed to use crossbows during the late archery season, which follows the firearms season and (I may be mistaken) if disabled may use a crossbow during the regular archery season. That is a change from the original regulations where crossbows were allowable for the disabled only. That change occured 7 or 8 years ago. I think. The latest season we have definable numbers for is 2006. In 2006 during the late archery season 1456 deer were harvested, accounting for 1% of the total deer harvest. Crossbow kills were listed as less than 1%, though I am unclear as to whether that is 1% of total or 1% of late archery kills. Earlier in the thread, one of the posters brought up the point of deer herd management, could the deer herd handle the added pressure of another weapon and season? At least in Indiana the answer is yes. My opinion, for what it's worth, is let them hunt.

Information sited can be found here:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/hunt/deer/2006_deer_season_report-new.pdf
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/huntguide1/HATG_0607/HATG0607_1-19.pdf
Old 04-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see only one way that a crossbow can be lumped into the sameclass as a firearm they both release stored energy by mechanics. A compound or tradition bow is released by the shooter phyiscally. I have no problem with anyone using a crossbow its all about your choice.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

2) Drawing in the presence of an animal. Simply put, you don't with a crossbow. Now most of us who bowhunt learn how to not get caught, but we still get caught. My first arrow shot at a deer was my 4th deer encounter in range where I tried to shoot. First 3 caught me moving or drawing. Crossbow in this aspect comes very close to a gun and you get the shot off with much less movement. Advantage here to the crossbow.
Question for all those who feel this is reason for excluding xbows:
Do you support making it illegal to use ALL archery equipment from inside a blind.
If not, then why?They hide you from the animals senses when drawing your bow.

Steve

Quick Reply: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.