Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Old 04-06-2007, 06:43 AM

Default RE: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

glad this forum is about opinion, i say no, and if it is concidered and they think its just as challaging to shoot a crossbow, Well last time i checked i dont have no danged scope on my bow.......hummmm.....sounds hard.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: blackmax2

glad this forum is about opinion, i say no, and if it is concidered and they think its just as challaging to shoot a crossbow, Well last time i checked i dont have no danged scope on my bow.......hummmm.....sounds hard.
The do make scopes for bows, and none of them are really what I would consider a scope. They are mostly red dot 1X see through optical lenses. I'm not saying you should change your opinion, just FYI.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:58 AM

I say no to much like a rifle.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

My crossbow.

Made it myself in my back yard. No sights. I aim it just like I did with my other bows. 125 lbs draw but with only an 8" power stroke, it has power roughly equal to a 45 pound recurve. I've been shooting it for quite awhile now. Exclusively, now that my shoulders are completely shot. It's a helluva lot more challenging to shoot than any compound I've ever used.

My buddies at the all traditional club I belong to tease me about it, but they have no problem accepting it. Most of them have even played with it.

Yep. It's archery. Just as much as a high let-off, mechanically released compound is, IMO.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Arthur that sure is a strange design on the end, LOL Makes me wonder how your club members were "playing" with it
Old 04-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

You gutter-minded sonuvagun!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur, that is awesome!!! How long did that thing take you to build? What era/age (whatever you call it) is that from? It looks exactly like one I saw on the History Channel a while back. Have you killed anything with it? I bet I couldn't hit water from a boat with that thing seeing as how I am the world's worst instinctive shooter. Imust have no instinct
Old 04-06-2007, 11:17 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Montana dave your a big A_HOLE
Old 04-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

just like all long bow hunters wish they had a chance to kill one with their knife.
That's a little scary. You got me pegged anyway. I love throwing knives,,,... and hatchets.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

huntingson, it's similar to what they had in Europe around the 10th to 15th Century.

It took me longer to gather up the materials than it did to make it. The tiller (stock) is an oak board that I routed out and glued together. Sideplates are a door hinge. The rolling nut in the lock is made from the same board that the stock came from. The tail end - the part Germ is so fond of (LOL) - is a finial, drilled out for a dowel and glued on. The tickler (trigger) is just a piece of 3/8" square cold rolled steel that I bent to shape. The stirrup is 1/16"X 1/2" cold rolled.The bolt clip is cut from a brass kick plate for a door.

I did buy the steelprod (bow). I don't have a heat treating furnace at home to temper my own steel. [&o]

Originals would have had the prod bound to the tiller with sinew. I cheated a bit and used synthetic cord. Might try artificial sinew when I rebind it and see how that works.

I screwed up and made the track too wide, so I had to glue some aluminum angle in the track to make it narrow enough that the bolt would ride high enough to meet the string properly. But it wound up being a pretty good shooter.

The thing dangling from the cord there? That's my trigger block safety. Gotta have a mechanical safety to be legal to hunt with in Texas. Haven't killed anything with it yet, except a couple of squirrels.

Took me about 6 hoursto get everything made and ready to assemble and thenabout an hour to get it put together the next morning. After the finish dried.

To shoot it, the end of the tiller sits on top of the shoulder. You eyeball down the shaft and gage your elevation by how high or low the tip of the bolt is in relation to the target. Then when it looks right, youpull up on the tickler. And it sounds like the world exploded! It's pretty loud, but it zips these 2-fletchwooden bolts downrange pretty good.

This is the rolling nut lock.

And the bindings that hold the prod onto the tiller.

Quick Reply: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.