Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Go easy on the crossbow crowd. They all secretly wish they could shoot a real bow. LOL... just like most compound bowhunters wish they could shoot a long bow... just like all long bow hunters wish they had a chance to kill one with their knife. Hey sport, it's suppose to be fun. Don't get all wrapped up in this macho of who's more manly, macho or a better hunter. Do your thing and give the other guys room to manuver. If you feel a need to compare yourself or measure yourself against someone else, well you're probably missing out on a lot of fun.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

I think it is an abject shame that crossbows are not allowed in many states' bowhunting seasons.

My father is limited to crossbow use for his archery hunting because of rheumatory arthritis. One of his younger brothers had poleo as an infant, which caused the loss of a muscle group in his right shoulder. As a result he also took up the crossbow about 14 years ago when he could no longer pull the legal minimum required for a compound of appropriate let-off.

Dad came out to bowhunt elk with us about 10 years ago. Montana (where I live) does not allow crossbows during archery season, so we hunted in Idaho just over the border. Had a great time.

The average crossbow that a guy can handily carry in the woods doesn't have the pennetrative value that an average arrow from acompound has at the same ranges. Using a crossbow on larger game such as elk or moose requires good shot placement at close range, which is no different than the majority of your compound bows. I have seen pennetration testing scenarios which prove this. Now, if you wheel a balista out into the woods, yeah you probably have some advantage, but otherwise a crossbow bolt is subject to the same deficiencies/attributes of thier constructthat any other arrow launched from another platform may have. Just because a crossbow looks like a gun doesn't mean they perform like one, and they basically don't.

Now, if you are fat, lazy and your butt is glued to a 4-wheeler most of the time because you are too lacidaisical to get yourself into shape to draw that bow, and you get some doctor to give you an excuse to use a crossbow during archery season, good for you! You're the one who determines what ends justify the means with regard to your hunting experience. Who's to say otherwise?

Old 04-04-2007, 03:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

not to me they aren't

Old 04-05-2007, 07:44 AM

i'm from ontario and in archery season as long as it is a bow and is 40# plus you can use it

that is x bows, compound, recurve , long bow, or home made the only regulation is that it has to be above 40 # i have shot cross bows but never hunted i consider it a fake gun..lol no challenge when all you do is look through a scope and pull the "trigger" i use a compound bow for the challenge of it..... so i say no crossbow is not archery it is a fool's rifle.... just my 02 cents worth like you asked

happy hunting straight shootin

browning_xcellerator

Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

So, all of you please raise your hands if you would hunt with a knife if it became legal in your area…

Not many hands…

Why is that? Because we all have a certain level of failure that we can tolerate when weighed against our own personal level of effort we’re willing to put forward.
Not making light of your post because it was great but my uncles and cousins killed a deer using two pocket knives. The deer was injured on the highway. They tackled it, put it to sleep and she went in the cooler. It was pretty crazy!

Tom
Old 04-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't care if you want to start a, Jab a Toothpick up a Bears Hind Quarters season, Just don't take more of myArchery season away.

1)A CrossBow's Projectile is called a Bolt, not an Arrow.
2) I can shoot a Crossbow, Standing,Resting it ona Tree, Sitting with my butt on the ground resting it on my Knee, From the Prone, or even up side down on my head!
3) There is NO Physical drawing of the Bow, or no Muscular involvement.
4) Can be held Indefinitely once loaded.
5) Slight, or No movement involved when game is in view.
6) There is no chance of torquing your grip, breaking left or right with your bow arm, pulling your release hand away from your face, droping your bow arm, or any darn thing else involved with shooting a Perfect shot in Archery!

I am 100% in support for someone that is incapable of shooting regular archery equipment being able to get a Doctors slip, and use a crossbow during regular Archery season.
I am 100% AGAINST them being used by the General Hunting Public during our Archery season, for they have NOTHING in common with the shot process involved with shooting a Bow and Arrow!

Yes Crossbows are a shooting sport, But please, They have nothing to do with the sport of Archery.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Site Bouncer

While it is shot completely different than a compound or traditional bow,the basic mechanical principles arethe same for all three. They all utilize energy stored in the limbs and propel an arrow by the use of a string. You can callit a bolt all you want and indeed that's it's proper name butwe all know it's just a short arrow. It has a tip/broadhead, insert,shaft (wood, aluminum, fiberglass or carbon fiber construction) nock and fletchings just likea compound or traditionalbows arrows do........it's an arrow.They both have the same effective range as well.

I personally don't care if people want to separate the seasons or lump them together with the regular archery season, makes no difference to me. But make no mistake about it a crossbow is archery tackle and no amount ofdistain or hatred for it will change that fact.

Everybody is going to have a different perception as to how "archery like" the shooting of a crossbow is. Some will think it more archery and some will not but that doesn't change what the weapon is.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

While it is shot completely different than a compound or traditional bow,the basic mechanical principles arethe same for all three. They all utilize energy stored in the limbs and propel an arrow by the use of a string. You can callit a bolt all you want and indeed that's it's proper name butwe all know it's just a short arrow. It has a tip/broadhead, insert,shaft (wood, aluminum, fiberglass or carbon fiber construction) nock and fletchings just likea compound or traditionalbows arrows do........it's an arrow.They both have the same effective range as well.

BigJohn, looks like were going tobutt head's on this one!

Your right, it is shot completely different, Just like a Rifle! It takes the Archer out of Archery.

And Your alsoright that they do share (some) of the same basic mechanical principles, but so does ariding Lawn Mower, a Motorcycle, and a M1 Tank! When they bolted it to a Rifle stock, they cut the Archer out of the picture.

You will not find the word Crossbow in Webster's under Archer or Archery, only Bow and Arrow's.

A shooter that uses a Crossbow is called a Crossbowman not an Archer.

I will call it a Bolt (shaft or missile for a Crossbow) You can call it a short arrow.

Do Bolt's have nock's on them now? (I don't know)

About 22 or 23 years ago I went to a 3D shoot that had a Crossbow set up for 100 yards,I shot 5 out of 5 in a paper plate at that distance the first time I everpicked one up, and I'm sure they have improved some what over that time, So I don't buy that same effective range as a compound.

I personally don't care if people want to separate the seasons or lump them together with the regular archery season, makes no difference to me. But make no mistake about it a crossbow is archery tackle and no amount ofdistain or hatred for it will change that fact.

Well it make's a difference to me in this state, they can use one in the early youth season a week befor Bow season opens, the Handycap season in the middle of Oct, the regular 15 day Rifle season in Nov, the 10 day Black Powder season in Dec, or the other 10 day late Rifle season in Dec, or if there incapable of shooting a Bow they can get a Doctors slip, and Hunt everyone's season.

John just because you say so, don't make it so, Fact is a Crossbow is half Bow, Half Gun, SHOT like a Gun, now try and spell Archery when you remove the Archer!

No distain or hatred here, Just trying to keep Archery season for Archer's for the last 23 years or so.

Everybody is going to have a different perception as to how "archery like" the shooting of a crossbow is. Some will think it more archery and some will not but that doesn't change what the weapon is.

Mark me down in the will not column, because I consider it a Gunbow, shot like a Gun, with no Archer involved!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crossbows are great for getting kids into deer hunting because you can take them out when the weather is nice in the early season and they get more of a chance to hunt and thus get something. Another reason I like them is for older hunters who can no longer draw a bow or stand sitting in the cold weather that often occurs during gun season. If it takes a joined season for those things to be possible, then I am all for it.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it extended my deer hunting season, or they were allowed during gun or muzzleloading season, I would be for it. I would like to have it seperate from the archery season though, unless that was the only way the hunter could hunt ... just my opinion .....

By the way, if they tacked on a week or two on to deer season, I'd git me one .... anything to extend my deer hunting ...

Quick Reply: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.