Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Old 04-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Dave,
Let me clarify a few things.
First, I have to admit that I could have worded what I said a little better. When I asked if you enjoyed stirring up controversy, I was referring to this thread, not the one on the crossbow forum. In that forum, you were polite and repeatedly indicated that you weren't trying to show any disrespect to them and you were just curious about why they chose crossbows.
Second, the above question was an honest one. There are a lot of folks who seem to thrive on controversial issues and enjoy heated debate. More power to you if you're one of those. I was just curious. If I didn't like your posts, I wouldn't read them. They're entertaining, to say the least.
Third, what I meant when I said "why go in there if you already know where you're going" is that in your opening post in this thread, your stand on this issue that crossbow hunting is not bow hunting. Saying that is banging on a hornets nest no matter how you look at it. If you believe that, that's fine, and I respect your opinion, but saying it in the crossbow forum, as you said above that you did doesn't seem like a good idea.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Site Bouncer

I think it is more bow than anything else (works on the same principal) then I have no problem considering them as "archery" Here in Illinois you need a special permit to hunt with one but if you do the kills are counted as archery kills.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

No permit needed in Ontario, they are allowed during the archery season.

I started with a crossbow, at 1st it was just to take advantage of longer seasons, I quickly bought a compound because its such a pain to carry a xbow around, and it really is pretty easy to shoot a compound. The only real difference that I see is the movement required to drawon an animalwithing range, x-bows give no other real advantage.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me, there are two or three broad ways to look at hunting and what you get out of it and why you’re there. First is obviously the “meat”. If this was your first priority, you’d have no problem using a 30.06, or any other weapon that increased your odds. Second is tradition and time with family, or just enjoying being there and doing it. Third, is in my opinion where we all get a little weirded out, and it is how we like to challenge ourselves, prove our worth as hunters, and most importantly perceive ourselves as hunters…
It is my opinion that all of us share some combination of these three basic reasons for hunting. For me, numbers two and three are more important than number one, but I do love some of the venison recipes that I’ve made and try to not be at all wasteful. But there is a unique situation that takes place around “bow only” types. It is the “I’m better than you because I decided to make it really tough on myself and you have not gotten to that point yet” thing. Problem with that is there’s always going to be a tougher way, and what does that mean? It means that we must face up to the fact that we don’t practice what we preach. If the mystical thing about the whole bow thing is the challenge, then why not go with the hardest one to shoot? Hardest to pull back, no sights, limited range, loud and so on? Well because we wouldn’t be as successful basically, right? I mean we do want a challenge and we do really want others to see how much of a challenge we’re making it, but to not come out with a deer, would be kind of, too hard? Too challenging?
The compound bow is somewhere between the traditional bows and the cross bow, as far as difficulty goes. The shotgun is somewhere between the rifle and the cross bow. The rife is somewhere between the shotgun and the grocery store meat isle. On the other end, the spear would be more challenging than the traditional bow, and a knife would be impossible, I guess…
So, all of you please raise your hands if you would hunt with a knife if it became legal in your area…

Not many hands…

Why is that? Because we all have a certain level of failure that we can tolerate when weighed against our own personal level of effort we’re willing to put forward.

One of my favorite ways to hunt is on the ground with a shotgun, stalking. My shotgun does have somewhat of a better range, but I’ve got to sneak into thick bedding areas to hunt this way, which is what I like. I’m partial to a shotgun and I’m not sure why. Maybe because I’ve practiced more with them than any other weapons, or it is just a crude open sight fire arm, I’m just not sure. But for ME being on the ground with a shotgun presents much more of a challenge than being in a tree with a bow. In fact I’d say that my shooting lanes in a tree stand with a bow are longer than any opportunities presented while sneaking on the ground with a shotgun. And our smell is on the ground, we’re moving/visually stimulating the deer and we’re making noise. Of course stalking with a bow would be more difficult, I’m not suggesting it wouldn’t be. I’ve done it, and toward the end of last year I got a small doe while on the ground with my left handed bow that I shoot right handed. I was disappointed. I’d been trying to pull that off for two years, and for some reason, it was a let down. I’m not really sure why.

Also, there is nothing wrong with buying and using something simply because you like it, and have no other reason. I like knives and I’ve bought more than I’ll ever need. Most people are this way about something. So what is wrong with liking a crossbow, even if you aren’t handicapped? Is a crossbow a little easier to shoot and hunt with, I’d have to say yes, and be willing to argue about it. But wouldn’t I be a fool to not be willing to look at it a level deeper and recognize that there are also harder ways to shoot and hunt than what I’m doing. Finally, unless you’re willing to say and believe that you are practicing the hardest hunting strategies, you have to flip the chip off of your shoulder.

Someone asked me what I thought was the best part of bow hunting. I explained it was for me; getting into the woods earlier, not wearing orange was pretty cool (hiding from humans) and no bang, like a silent killer. Then they asked what was the worst thing about it. They were a little shocked at my response; being mistakenly identified as a “bow only” type!
Old 04-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Chief,

If I implied that I had a position in this opening post, as you stated, it was by accident. I stand firmly..... on the fence. (Ha! Ha!)
Old 04-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave,
Sorry it took a while to reply. I was at work and noticed that it was 20 minutes past time to head home. I am and always have been a liberty hound. Anyway, it's all good. I'm a 24 year PN, but I'm still capable of mistaking someone's meaning in written form.
Getting back to the main issue, I briefly considered a crossbow, but I personally wanted more of a challenge. Crossbows are legal in Tennessee and Arkansas, where I do most of my hunting. By basic definition, in that a bow projects an arrow, I would have to say that shooting a crossbow is still archery. It's just the fact that the bow is on a stock and is held in the drawn position, which naturally gives the shooter a greater advantage. I can understand, although not necessarily agree, with why most states don't allow them during archery season.I don't think they're more accurate than a well tuned compound bow, and I don't think their range is much, if any, better than a good compound. Is shooting a crossbow "bow hunting"? I believe yes, but with a greater advantage, in that the shooter doesn't have to draw unseen and hold it for an undetermined length of time.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a pro xbower from the xbow forum. It is indeed refreshing to see the open-mindedness displayed here, and I for one, thank-you!!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted with a crossbow for about 2 years. I can tell you that I have an had to let many deer go, because I could notget a shot because I was holding a compound. Those shots could have been made with a crossbow.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

handicapped people should use them so that they can still hunt but people without disabilities should get off their asses and pick up a bow and use that
Old 04-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

handicapped people should use them so that they can still hunt but people without disabilities should get off their asses and pick up a bow and use that
Really, tell me greenboy, do you use a home made longbow???
Get off your high horse, to each his own, looking down your nose at other hunters isn't helping much.

Edit just to try to soften my response a bit, I'm not trying to start a fight, but c'mon guys, getting close is harder than shooting them, and x-bows aren't 100yrd weopons.

Quick Reply: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.