Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Old 04-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Fact is, I know it, you know it, and everyone on this forum knows that it takes no archery skills to shoot a crossbow!
Oh, wow. I missed that little gem. Ya know, someradicals among thetrads say it takes no archery skills to shoot a compound either. Certainly takes a different set of skills, but I'm sure you'd be first in line to swear they darn sure ARE archery skills. Same with crossbows, I'm afraid.

You'll have to do MUCH better than that if you intend to speak before the game commission against allowing crossbows.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beat me to it Arthur - by the way, you have presented some of the best counters to the anti's I have seen.

Fact is, I know it, you know it, and everyone on this forum knows that it takes no archery skills to shoot a crossbow!
You mean the archery skills required to shoot a properly fitting compound that can can be taught in an hour or less?
Or possibly the skill needed to take the cpound out of the closet and blow the dust off the night before opening day?

Now if you want to compare it to the skills needed to shoot a traditional bow, then you might have an arguement - especially if you are willing to outlaw groundblinds and treestands. But I doubt any anti is willing to do either of these let alone both.

Steve
Old 04-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Iusually don't get involved inthese back and forth type topics but I want to say this. I have a compound and a CB. I've killed 13 deer with CB and only 6 withcompound. Two of these compound kills (bucks) were this past season. While I enjoyed the hunts with both of these weapons over the years,I felt better about myself, and got a greater sence of acomplishment from my compound kills, plain and simple.
I'm all for the use of CBs where and when legal. However, anyone who says there isn't an advantage ( not having to draw) with CB is kidding themselves, and they know it. And no, CB Forum guys, I'm not a turncoat, it's just that my heart is with the compound. I'll keep my CB for down the road though.
Before I forget, I also want to say how NICE it is to see everyone talking in a civilized manner for a change, it's refreshing!Unity is where our strength is, let's not forget that.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

However, anyone who says there isn't an advantage ( not having to draw) with CB is kidding themselves,
Early - does not the use of a blind or being 20 ft up a tree negate this advantage?

Steve
Old 04-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Archery consists of a bow and an arrow, RIGHT?? Well a crossbow has both so why isnt it archery? Simple at that. Us bowhunters who use compound bows will easily say its not archery, but we probably would think different if we were limited to crossbows when it came to bowhunting because of injury or something. I love to bowhunt using my compound bow and hope ill never have to switch to a crossbow ever, but I think crossbows fit in just fine with the term "archery".
Old 04-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

However, anyone who says there isn't an advantage ( not having to draw) with CB is kidding themselves,
Early - does not the use of a blind or being 20 ft up a tree negate this advantage?

Steve
No.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

a bow and arrowand a crossbow are very different they may both have limbs and a string and arrows but you have to manualy pull a bow back and hold until the moment of fire a crossbow you do not have to do that I have no problems with handicap useing a crossbow but in my opinion let's leave the archery season to manualy holding your string back.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Steve
No.
I would really like to hear how drawing a bow completely hidden in a portable blind with shoot thru windows is not the same advantage.

Who is "kidding" themselves?

Steve
Old 04-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Question: Is a handicap hunter allowed to hunt with a crossbow in your state archery season?
Yes, and there is currently a bill in our state House - HB1334 -that would allow anyone age 65 or over unrestricted use of crossbows. Also, draw-lock devices have been legal here for several years now. Doesn't make much sense to disallow crossbows if you allow that POS.

Your right there Arthur, that makes no sense in the least.

Also, the archery deer season here is only a month long, basically the month of October, give or take a week either way. Other than that, the crossbow is legal for all general weapons seasons and all game, except for migratory birds. So there is something to hunt with a crossbow 11 months of the year.

Just for the record, since you seem to be trying to paint me as a crossbow fanatic, I could qualify as disabled and hunt with a crossbow in archery season under our regs, but I won't. I fought against allowing them for so long that I'd feel like a complete hypocrite if I did. If I had my druthers, I'd much rather still be able to go to the woods with my longbow in hand. And that modern crossbow of mine? It's been out of the garage once since I made my replica.

Not trying to paint you as a fanatic Arthur, just trying to figure ya out, But you know what, the more you write the more confused I get!
You say you can hunt something 11 months out of the year with a crossbow, and that your state allowes disabled ( handicapped ) hunters to hunt the archery season, and that you qualify, but you will not do that because it would make you feel like a hypocrite!
So then your telling us you getting it legalized durring archery season is just to help you feel better? If not please explain.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Big John
Now I never said You thought it was shot like a compound or traditional bow, You made it clear in your opening statement, that it was not!

I call it a crossbow, have since I was about 5 years old, my Grandchildern call it a crossbow, even said it has a bow on it .

As far as the word Crossbow not having the word gun in it, It's because Crossbows came befor guns.
Since it has a gun stock and is Shot like a GUN, If gun's had been made first, do you honestly believe it would have not been called a Bowgun, Boltgun, Gunbow, or yes, even aArrowgunor somthing of that sort.? In other words since the invention of the gun, and everythingmade since the gun,with a pistol grip, or a gun stock, has been called a gun of some sort, Air Gun, Water Gun, Ratchet Gun, Grease Gun, BB Gun, ect, ect, Yet none of these Gun's launch a projectile from a ignited powderd propellant!

We could pick each others post's apart for days, but let's get back to the real Issue at hand, Is it Archery!
You claim it is because it has a bow , I say, once you lay a Bolt in the track of a crossbow, The Archer has left the Building! Again, No Archer, No Archery.
It takes Zero archery skills to shoot a crossbow, no matter how many Bow and Arrow components it is made up of! And I'm sure you know this as well.

And let me end by saying, I'm not the bad guy here, I helped to get it so Handicaped Bowhunters could hunt with a Crossbow during Archery season. I'm all for them having their own season.
The Bad guy's are Crossbow manufactures spending hundred's of thousands of dollars, maybe millions, and archery shop owner's trying to open up our Archery season for a whole new market for their profit, and Gun Hunters that will jump at the chance to Chisel away at even more of our Archery season. We have already went from a once generous 75 day season in my state,to 45 from these special intrest group's, not counting the early youth season a week befor Archery season opens.

Some states with low Hunter numbers, it may not make a differance, (They always use OHIO as an example)I think my State sold somthimg like 650,000 deer tag's last year (someone correct me if I'm wrong) If you take 1/4 of that who would hunt with a crossbow (just guessing) your looking at an additional 162,500 thrown into our archery season and public hunting land.

Like I said, I'm just your average John trying to keep Archery season for Archers. If someone wants to hunt Archery season they can aquire a Bow and some Arrows and learn to be an Archer, If not, they can hunt with a gun or Gun type fired bolt launcher in their 3 Gun season's where it belongs.
Sliver,

Please re-read my posts, I am very carefull about my word selection. I was not and am not talking about bbguns, waterguns, capguns or any other "gun" for that matter. I simply said that a crossbow's mechanics are more bow like than they are a "firearm".

To answer your question about it being "archery" No I don't think a crossbowman shoots a crossbowthe same way I shoot my compound. But I also don't think a compound bow shooter shoots the same as a traditional or REALarchereither, bigdifference between the two.

I started out shooting long and recurve bows like most ofus folks who grew up in the late 60's and 70's. (or earlier)I still dust them off even today but I do not consider myself an archer not even by a stretch. I'm a bowhunter and my tool is a compound bow, yes I draw it like a traditional bow but that's about all the two have in common. Yet a compound bow is still considered "archery tackle". I hope you don't mean to imply that all I need to do to become an archer is be able to draw a bow in the presence of my quary do you?

Like I said I don't care if they allow crossbows into the archery seasons, it's fine by me. I'm just glad I can shoot my compound bow during "archery" season.

To me if we start talking about only "archers" being able to hunt during "archery" season.......the woods would be very empty indeed.

Quick Reply: Are Crossbows Considered Archery???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.