Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Frustrations

Old 04-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead Frustrations

Okay, I'm running into a wall here. If any of you have looked at a thread I posted in thegear reviewforum, you'll see that I picked up some Grim Reapers, shot them, and abandoned them. They hit fairly accurately, but were mechanically unreliable in my opinion.
Friday, I got a pack of Pre-Season G-5 Montecs. At 10 yards.... dead on. At 20 yards.... 3 inches low,3 inches right. At 30 yards...2 inches low, 7 inches right. At 40 yards....good enough to hunt with (4 inch group) What's going on here?
I know there's going to be some difference. The flight deviation is consistent enough that I can allow for it and put the broadhead in the target out to 30 yards, but this isn't the way it's supposed to be, right?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:42 AM

Default RE: Broadhead Frustrations

Your bow needs some fine tuning. Look up broadhead tuning, make some small rest adjustments accordingly and you should be set.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, kodiak hit the nail on the head... broadheads expose tuning problems like nothing else.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kodiak/Greg,
Just took a hard look at some online broadhead tuning instructions. Just to make sure I understand this, since I'm hitting low right, I should move the rest to the left and the nock point up (both in small increments), right?
Will I need to have the release loop retied? It sure doesn't slide. I've never made any adjustments to my bow myself. Never needed to because it's been so accurate with field points since I got it.
One more question. Right now, it's dead on with field points. Once I get the broadheads to hit, then switch back to field points, should they hit as accurately as before, or will the sights need to be adjusted? That may sound like a stupid question, but I am still learning.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need to move your nockpoint down or your rest up [slightly] like 1/32 of an inch at a time untill broadheads hit on the same line horizontaly , then adjust for left and right , It appears that you need to move your rest to the left [slightly again] , but sometimes it is the opposite of what you would think . Your arrows spine allso dictates wheather you will have any luck broadhead tuneing , allong with many other variables .
Old 04-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

download the Easton Tuning guide from their website if you didnt come across it...probably the best their is...best ive seen. i can split broadhead arrows with FPs now. i too had a similar problem. AFTER i cleared up my spine problem with my arrows. they go through a bunch of diffrent methods. i used the broadhead tuning method. shot a FP arrow. then shoot a group of broadheads and fine tune your rest or knock or whatever needs to be done..your BHs and FPs CAN and will shoot together if your bow and arrows are good and tuned...though it can be a frustrating ride.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Have you checked your arrows to make sure they are cut perfectly square and the inserts are square as well? I would start there andmoveto the bow. I started with the bow, changed everything,got veryfrustrated as I still had issues,then finally used an ASD on the arrows and now my broadheads fly well.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: johnnydialtone

Have you checked your arrows to make sure they are cut perfectly square and the inserts are square as well? I would start there andmoveto the bow. I started with the bow, changed everything,got veryfrustrated as I still had issues,then finally used an ASD on the arrows and now my broadheads fly well.
Yep, if the broadhead/arrow itself is not in balance you'll never get them to group together. Broadhead tuning assumes that you are getting your broadheads grouping in the same spot, then you move the rest to get that group hitting in the same spot as your field point group. Once the two are hitting together you may have to make minor sight adjustments but then you'll be good... until you replace your string or serving that is.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crap, I think I just figured out a part of my problem. I don't know how I didn't notice this before, but as I was looking closely at my dropaway figuring out how to adjust it, I noticed that the "moleskin" that I have on the prongs leaves almost no room for the cock vane to pass through without contact. This could be a big part of my problem, right?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Crap, I think I just figured out a part of my problem. I don't know how I didn't notice this before, but as I was looking closely at my dropaway figuring out how to adjust it, I noticed that the "moleskin" that I have on the prongs leaves almost no room for the cock vane to pass through without contact. This could be a big part of my problem, right?
I don't thinkyour fletchings should not be passing through those prongs on a drop away.

Quick Reply: Broadhead Frustrations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.