Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For all the Whisker Biscuit haters....

Old 04-01-2007, 09:56 AM

Default RE: For all the Whisker Biscuit haters....

I will bet you money that after a TECH gets done with my bow I won't shoot any better than I did before I took it there. I'd rather have help with my form and shooting technique to be honest.

I have purposely set some of my bows seriously out of whack just for the heck of it before. Guess what, they still shot pretty much the same, except when using fixed blades. And they shot well, just not to the same point my field points did.

If you think having your cam 3 degrees out of rotation during a match is going to make you lose you probably lost before you started. Your mental game is very important in archery.

And I don't see how putting a bow in a machine is going to tell you anything about how your bow is tuned? No one shoots or holds the bow the same so it just doesn't mean anything. I guess if it were way off it might tell you your form sucks though. Heck a shooting machine will shoot well matched arrows into the same spot regardless of tune. If we all shot like machines we wouldn't nead to tune anything at all.

The measure of a good tune is if your arrows go where you point them consistantly shot after shot. There is no right or wrong tune, just the one that works for you.

My bow will shoot unfletched arrows together at beyond 40 yards as well as I can shoot them. That is tuned plenty good enough for me, I don't care what a machine or proffesional tuner says about my set up.

My opinion anyway.

Paul
Old 04-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have one and i refered my friend to one. its a dream rest. i love it and when you get shakey it helps a lot too. i love the rest and would recomend it to anybody.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Paul,a machine does more than what most think.It can be used as a vice that holds a bow at full draw so you can make necessary adjustments.Cam lean is a big part of a forgiving setup and is easily adjusted/checked at full draw with a machine.

Also,3rd and 4rth axis adjustment can be done much more accurately on a machine at full draw.

Centershot can be set very close before you take it for group tuning.

AND YOU ARE CORRECT,confidence or mental gameis everything and there is no better confidence in knowing there are no issues with the bow.

A machine will not shoot arrows into the same hole everytime.The arrows must be tuned first and a shooting machine is best suited for this.

A machine will get you ready to fine tune to you.The better your form and better the bow,the less you will adjust afterwards.

I am not saying they are a must have.I don't use one.I have had my setups checked on one.I have had my arrows group tuned on one.I alsoget a free machine setup when I get new strings and cables and I do very little if anything when I get it back.

I used to be very much like you untill I saw first hand and experienced what can be done with a machine and how much quicker and easier things can be done.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Paul,considering the thread has been officially hijacked,maybe we should continue in a pm intead of continuing with this hijack.[]

SORRY
Old 04-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

I too am surprised Mullaney uses a WB for hunting. Like all or at least most of you, I use what I like and am comfy with. For example..................in the 2006 broadhead success survey, their was only two reported kills using the broadhead I mainly use now. And one of them was a kill I made, but thats not stopping me from using it because I love it. By the way, results will be posted within the next day or two.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:30 PM

How did this thread turn into a pissing contest over tuning??

I'm not surprised by ANYONE who says they use a WB to hunt with..........it is the best hunting rest on the market IMO and I have used one for years with no complaints.

THIS could raise a few eyebrows with those that think the WB is not a good rest though

Today, nearly half of new bows sold are ultimately outfitted with a Whisker Biscuit.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

It isn't a pissing match.Paul and I respect each other very much.

The tuning comes in because that is the biggest problem with a WB.

There are many rest that are much better at doing the same thing a WB does.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are many rest that are much better at doing the same thing a WB does.
And I think the reason Scott started the thread to begin with...

Good info along the way though guys.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

I don't know who Norb Mullaney is.

NORB MULLANEY AND ARCHERY BIOGRAPHY [blockquote] Norb Mullaney has been shooting bows and arrows of one type or another for over 70 years. He started with a hickory self bow at 8 or 9 years of age, progressed through self longbows, a solid fiberglass bow, several commercial laminated recurves, recurves of his own design and building, and several self-built compounds before forsaking bow building to concentrate on technical writing and consulting in the archery field. He began reporting on his tests of bows in Archery World Magazine in 1974. He has been the Director of Bow Testing for Archery World Magazine and subsequently for Bowhunting World Magazine (its successor) since that time.

He has been very active in the area of safety and standards for archery products having chaired the ASTM Subcommittee for Archery Products for 18 years and the AMO Safety and Standards Committee for 17 years. He has authored over 250 published articles and papers dealing with the technical side of archery and bowhunting. Over the years he has tested over 8000 different bow and arrow combinations.

In 2002 Norb Mullaney was elected to the national Archery Hall of Fame and the Hall of Honor of the World Bowhunters Chapter of the Safari Club International. He has been an active bowhunter for nearly 50 years and has served as a director of the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association for almost. 30 years.

Mullaney is a registered professional engineer in the state of Wisconsin. He holds bachelors and masters degrees in mechanical engineering from the University of Wisconsin with a major in aeronautical engineering at the University of Detroit and a minor in business administration at Marquette University.

[/blockquote]
Old 04-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

The WB makes noise
WB are not accurate enough
WB tear up blazers.... etc, etc

A lot deer fall every year to the WB, I guess they may just work for some people

Quick Reply: For all the Whisker Biscuit haters....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.