Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Caution is [completely] a learned trait.
65.71%
Caution is a genetic trait.
34.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Bucks; How they reach maturity

Old 03-31-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Bucks; How they reach maturity

After reading an article in this month's issue of Bow&Arrow Huntingthat talked about understanding mature bucks, I thought I would find out what the majority of HNI's hunters thought.

Granted, caution is something that is learned to a degree, are mature deer mature because they've learned to be that cautious or were they born with the traits that make them cautious?

Old 03-31-2007, 08:10 PM

Default RE: Bucks; How they reach maturity

Both. They're cautious and non trusting by nature, and the more experiences they have growing up only enforce that. They're all different, from what I can gather, they have their own "attitudes and personalities" and that is largely due to their experiences....

But what do I know.....I can't kill one anyway....[&o]
Old 03-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer Season can not get here quick enough and..... Dan you need to lay off the shrooms dude. You have got way too much time on your hands. LOL
Old 03-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Both. They're cautious and non trusting by nature, and the more experiences they have growing up only enforce that. They're all different, from what I can gather, they have their own "attitudes and personalities" and that is largely due to their experiences....

But what do I know.....I can't kill one anyway....[&o]
Yep, i pretty much agree. They deffinately learn more every year
Old 03-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like mobow said, I think its a combo of both. Deer being prey must always be alert, and almost paranoid to a point. Now, I believe there are some deer that a more cautious then others, which I feel is something that maybe their mother showed them as fawns, and as fawns they do whatever their mom does.
Genetics= common prey traits
Learned= traits learned as fawn from their mother(more alert then your average deer).
Then again, I'm really tired right now, so this may sound stupid when I wake up in the morning and reread what I wrote.lol[8D]Plus I gotta wake up early to go striper fishing!!!
Old 03-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a deer's"caution" is dependant on several factor's, for example, here in E. Central IL, we have several county and State parks, that have deer that will not even move if you are riding a bike, jogging, or whatever else you may be doing. But these are high traffic areas, and they seem to know they are safe. Then you take your normal private ground 5 miles down the road from these parksand deerseem to be on High Alert.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:22 PM

Something to consider, this article defined a mature deer as being 4.5 years old and older.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:30 PM

I've thought about it some more, and while I don't recend my previous, I believe what is learned to be more of a factor than what they are born with....
Old 03-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lets not forget being raised by cautious does probably had some impact to. But surviving some hunter encounters at an early age would most certainly wise up any (deer)
Old 03-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion.. it's like this..

Caution is part of a trait.. a survival trait that is deeply etched into the minds of all living creatures. Whether it is a human or a deer we all have this trait.

When a buck survives to become mature (at 3.5 or older) he has just naturally seen more than the other deer. Thus, he is wiser.. and has more experience which gives him more brains (loosely stated). Are some bucks smarter than others... absolutely. Some humans are smarter than others, some dogs are smarter than others.. etc. etc. Some humans are more cautious than others, some cats are more cautios than others etc. etc.

Caution is a natural form of survival. An older deer who has been hunted for years knows the ropes.. and has been there and done that. His experience has taught him when and how to be cautious. The trick is beating him to the punch!

Quick Reply: Bucks; How they reach maturity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.