Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to put on face paint?

Old 03-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Spike

Default RE: How to put on face paint?

i tend to use more of the black......

Old 03-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

buy a scent-loc face mask
Old 03-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PA_Bowhnter16137

i tend to use more of the black......

I think I saw your picture in the post office .... [8D]
Old 03-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the key is to cover everything and break up distinguishing areas of your face, especially the eyes. I also think big lines work better then small ones. For the same reason that Predator/Enigma camo work better than Mossy Oak. If you try to make small details your face will end up looking like a black blob.

This guy has the right idea. But I would have extended the black line between his eyes down one side of the nose, across the mouth, and into the chin area just to break up those facial features even more....

Old 03-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

I don't wearface paint. The face paint wears me

just playing. I ussaly use a green or brown as a base and then take black and have lines and what not.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:12 PM

What's with all you guys posing for pictures instead of hunting?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

While there's obviously no "right or wrong" technique in applying face paint -- especially for something like bowhunting where it's not a life-and-death matter, we in the military were/are taughtsomething different than what Dan said...

You DON'T want to accentuate the sunken in areas of your face; just the opposite. You want to make the "high" areas of your face look sunken in, e.g. your forehead, nose, cheeks and chin. You want to "bring out" the sunken areas with lighter colors.

That way, from a dimensional perspective, your face sort of melts into one plane and leaves no distinguishing characteristice such as over-accented eye sockets or other recognizable features. Think of it this way: we as deer hunters often notice a deer first by the horizontal "line" of its back contrasting against all the vertical lines of trees and such in the woods. It's sort of the same concept; you don't want to accentuate the things that make our faces look "more human."

Having said that... Do I think it will matter for bowhunting? Heck no.
Thats exactly what one of the shows on the Military Channel was saying. However, I don't think there is a right or wrong way when hunting for deer.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

The reason we were taught that can be seen in the pic that gzg posted of the sergeant; while he does have all his skin covered, there are still definitely "shine" areas that are problematic -- his nose and cheekbone areas specifically. And for those who would use him as a role model just because he's wearing the uniform... well, it's like any other profession: You get taught how to do it and after a while start deviating into your own thing.

Take it from the guy who went to sniper school; there's a reason why it's taught the way it is. Again, this is all a moot point probably when it comes to being 20' up and your quarry is a deer. A few of us are just letting you know what the proper answer is from a technically sound standpoint.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:04 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

The folks are telling you correctly about the military technique, especiallyGreg/MO. The easiest way to remember is: Light on low/Dark on High, can't get any simplar than that. With that said, go with thehead net/face mask if you can afford to, they are so much easier to take off and in hot weather won't make youstickey and sweat as much. That's just my opinion andI'm sure I'lltake a hit for sayingit but it's something to think about.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Below are a few pics with my face paint (actually makeup)on. I use actors or custom makeup. I put on a base with a sponge (cake makeup). Then I put black stripes on with a brush. It takes about three minutes to apply, comes off easy, and is cheap. It is made for withstandactors perspiration, so it is also waterproof. BTW, the bottom picture was taken after dragging a mile.

Quick Reply: How to put on face paint?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.