Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Close calls.....

Old 04-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Close calls.....

I told this story here the day it happened. Opening day this past season, I'm sitting on the ground with my back to a large oak. Acorns all around me. There is a deadfall around me so I think I have good cover. A nice 8 walks right in at 10 yds. I'm so stinkin' paniced that I had my index finger of my bow hand over the arrow. I drew and the nock fell off the string because of my holding the shaft with my finger. Well, I let down and fumbled around getting renocked, He busted me drawing the second time and away he went. There was no reason in the world for my finger to be on that shaft. I learned a few lessons that day. I now have a stand in that tree 20 ft. up. I also never place my finger on the shaft anymore.
That buck is still out there. I have seen him several times since then so if he makes it through the poachers I may just see him next opening day!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

I beat you all i was hunting the first day of archery season and to start the morning off i rattle a little bit thirty seconds later a monster buck comes charging at me out of nowhere at thirty yards the monster stood behind a tiny branch grunting his head off and i decided no to shoot you wanna know what happened a week later my father shoots the buck 100yards from my stand in a spot i told him to ge into that morning the brute ended up scorin 140''[:@][:@]
Old 04-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Good Story's guy! Keep them comin!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got 2
#1 It is the third day of bow season here and i just set up my stand about a week earlier. Well, 6 o clock rolls around and i have a doe coming in with the wind blowing right to her. I know there is a big un in there and see a deer behin dher sure enough 50 yards out they stop stillin my path of scent even though i sprayed down so much, i know i smell because it was still 90 degrees here and i was sweatin. It is the biggest deer i have ever laid eyes on here in NC and he is in a clearing 50 yards away, unfortunately i only practice to 40 yards and he smalled me and took off.
#2 I am in Illinois and there are about 20 deer in the alfalfa feild including 3 bucks. It is the prerut so i do continuos grunting to mess with the lil in and behind i hear a deer comin hard. I look back and like a video here comes a beautiful 140 class deer right to my stand. Like a fairytale i get drawn when he in running in and stop him with a tending grunt 15 yards away perfectly wide open and broadside. I setteld in and was rock solid right behind his shoulder. Thwack high and i know it i can see the arrow in him as he runs off. i am pumped because i think it penetrated enough for a good kill. Two days later we only found 20 drops of blood and figure out he never died over miles of searching. i went from a high high to a new low in 2 days.[:@]I found out that my rest had been knocked off sometime during the hunt bad and the proshop guy fixed it upfor me but i never got another shot.

the top pic goes with the first story and the bottom with the second ( the guide there killed it that week)
Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been within 30 yards of 2 different Boone & Crockett bucks. Unfortunatly luck was not on my side and I failed to get a shot off...Aaaarrgghh!!![:@]

Enough said...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a real close call this past season with the biggest buck I've ever seen while hunting in the Edmonton Bow Zone in Alberta. I did a rattling sequence and hung the antlers, about 10-15 mins later I see something move on the edge of this spruce thicket at 20yrds.I see it's a bucks head sticking out. He takes a step out of the trees and I can't believe what I'm seeing.
This buck had 10pts with some serious Alberta mass and a HUGE body!He takes a few more steps, then stops,but I can't draw without being seen as he's coming towards me. He doesn't see the source of the "fight" and gets nervous. He turns, with brush in the way, andI can only watch as he walks away.[&o] I wasn't going to chance a half a$$ shot.
I ended up getting a smaller 8pt (300lb) on my next to the last day. I'll never forget this hunt. Oh yea, this was right around noon time!