Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Total arrow weight

Old 04-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Total arrow weight

The difference in trajectory isn't much. We don't care about total drop in these cases but rather where the arrow will hit from where the pin is at.

My bow shoots a 367 gr arrow 257 fps.I can hit the kill zone of a bowhunter deer target(about an 8" kill zone)at 40 yards with my sight set at 35 yards to 43.9 yards.If I were using a slide bar sight and provided I was tuned perfect and made a perfect shot.

My bow shoots a 428 gr arrow 241 fps.I can hit the same target at 40 yards from 35.9 yards to 43.3 yards provided all the above info stays the same.

A loss of less than a yard on both ends.Man that is some trajectory that is needed in a hunting situation.[8D]
Old 04-01-2007, 06:20 PM

Maybe, but flatter is flatter, no matter how you cut it, and my KE and momentum are still PLENTY good to get the job done....Perhaps it's not the case in every situation.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tfox, your speed didnt change much for your arrow weight increase. My old bow was shooting a 365 grain arrow at 310 fps I could hit a 4 inch target aiming dead on out to around 37 yards.My new bow is shooting a 358 grain arrow at 290fps and I cant even hit that 4 inch taget out to 30 yards aiming dead on. My point is regardless of arrow weight that 20 fps makes a big difference in trajectory.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

20 fps out of the same bow at 40 yards with the same poundage is a 1/2" difference on a 3 yard miss(only difference is arrow weight).PERIOD.I have done and proven it too many times.

You are comparing 2 bows with 2 different amounts of stored/potential energies,the differnce is the energy level,NOT the speed.

Theold bow probably has an ibo of around 320 and the new one is probably around 305.That is the difference you are seeing.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

For those that care,here are the downrange statistics at the 2 speeds and weights for my bow.

This chart is for the lighter arrow.Same bow and poundage,just arrows have changed.

Of course,momentum is not shown

This is for the heavier arrow.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the trajectory of the arrow and weights you asked about.

The lighter/faster arrow
365 gr @ 305 fps

The heavier/slower one.

450 gr @ 275 fps

Old 04-02-2007, 05:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a hunting (whitetails) arrow that weighs in at 462gr.

I don't see me shooting over +/- 30yds, based on the type of hunting I do.

My set-up allows me to take advantage of the heavier arrow without a concern for arrow drop at those yardages. It's why I shoot what I shoot.

Blanket statements, without regard for individual circumstances, are useless (in my opinion). Go with what works for YOUR circumstances.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I was shooting a 425gr. arrow 285 fps, holding 76.67 pounds of KE. Now I shoot a 368 gr. 310 fps. holding 78.54 pounds of KE.....AND, I have just a bit more than 1" less drop from 20-30 yards.....Sounds like the lighter arrow wins for me...
I'm shooting 268 fps with a 500 grain arrow. All bets are off when that lighter, faster, higher KE arrow impacts the side of a mountain goat clinging to a cliff with every muscle tensed... Then it's all about arrow mass.

I agree that just for deer I'd go with the lighter set-up though.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I hunt is deer, I suppose I might think about increasing arrow weight if I was going after a moose or grizzly. Ive seem my set up blast through too many very big midwestern whitetails to be concerned about penetration. I just prefer a faster lighter arrow. In my opinion it gets to the deer alot faster, so less chance of them jumping the string, it shoots flatter aiding in misjudged distance, and Ive never had problems with penetration. Even on bucks that go 300+ pounds on the hoove.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the record,my arrows for whitetail weigh a whopping 380 grains.I also use mechanicals and have no problems penetrating the ground on the other side.However,I am a very good tuner.That is key.[:-]

Oh yea,deer are more likely to jump the string at 15 yards than at 30 yards.

I like to debate,can you tell.[8D]

There are alot of misconceptions in the world of hunting/archery nowadays due to marketing.

Quick Reply: Total arrow weight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.