Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite Outdoor Writer

Old 03-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Favorite Outdoor Writer

Just want to know everyone's favorite outdoor writer and which magazine's/websites/etc. he/she writes for. My personal favorite isPat McManus. He writes the "Last Laugh" articles in Outdoor life. Great little stories, humorous and whether or not they're true,many of them arestories thatsome of us have lived or experienced.

So who is your favorite. It doesn't have to be serious reading, just who do you enjoy reading that writes about the great outdoors.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Favorite Outdoor Writer

I really like Dwight Schuh and M.R. James writings in Bowhunter mag. I really love the way that M.R. paints such a vivid picture with words when writing about his hunts. He almost makes you feel like you are there.
I also like Jim Dougherty's trails end section at the back of evry issue of Peterson's Bowhunting. He has a great sense of humor, and has alot of years of great hunts to draw his stories from, and he doesn't pull any punches when writing about anti's, poachers etc. He tells it like it is.
As far as for hunting info and tactics and tips, I enjoy Bill Winke's stuff, but to me Eddie Claypool is the man when sharing hunting info. I would love to spend a week out in the mountains hunting with him and picking his brain. I really enjoy reading his articles.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

M.R James for me, simple a great writer.

in a couple years i hope this topic comes up and everyone is saying, KP by far. I plan on Majoring in Journalism, and becoming an outdoor writer. 40 days until im officially a college kid.

KP
Old 03-29-2007, 06:09 PM

I like dwight schue for bringing the feeling of actually being there into the story and for pure tactic article it would be Greg Miller
Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 PM

Jack O'Connor.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still love reading Gene Hill and Ted Trueblood.

For a book read, its hard to beat Capstick. I take most of what he has written with a grain of salt and tounge in cheek, but it makes for good entertainment anyway.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bill Winke tends to be the gentleman whose articles I tend to enjoy reading the most though there are various othersas well.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 AM
Banned

Don Higgens. He writes for Petersons' Bowhunting and has the best whiteatail bowhunting book I have ever read.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Not sure of the author's name......but if you get a chance to look at this month's 'Field & Stream'......there's a GREAT article on a turkey hunt with Ray Eye. THAT guys is one funny man.

Sorry if that's a 'little' off-topic.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Jim Dougherty for personal reasons of course. He had some challenges last year that kept him out of the woods. But he's coming around just in time for turkey season.Everyone should check out his new Trails End book.M.R. James is a great writer and a great guy. Bill Winkle is great as well. I have watched Eddie Claypool make a name for himself. Known him for many years. He hunts hard and deserves the attention he is getting. He has killed some BIG animals.

MC Bowhunter

Quick Reply: Favorite Outdoor Writer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.