Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bad groups

Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 PM

Default bad groups

i am shooting bad groups all of the sudden w/ my bow. i shoot 15" groups at 40 yards and used to shoot 3" at the same range. i know its not technique that is screwing up and i haven't changed anything and all of hte sudden i am doing horrible. wat is going on. i only had the bow for about a year and checked it for damage, etc.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:20 PM

Default RE: bad groups

Can't really say based on what you've said in the one post.

Could be target panic.

What equipment are you shooting?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wash is right, it's pretty tough to say. Have you changed draw weight, taken a break from shooting or anything like that? Sometimes when people take a break from shooting their muscles don't stay in shape and they rush their shot unconciously because they're shaking or getting tired at full draw.

Do you have any ideas as to what is going on?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:02 PM

Things to think about[/b]
[/b]

Are your arrow fletch hitting the rest?[/b]
Do you have a level on your bow?[/b]
Are all the arrows of the same weight? Don’t laugh, I’ve done it[/b][/ol]
before. I remember shooting some without the tips. Oopps![/b]

Is anything loose on your bow? Check, tighten and mark it. [/b]
String, nock or cams?[/b]
How are you shooting @ 10 or 20 yards? [/b]
Have someone watch you shoot. Sometimes it’s hard to judge ourselves.[/b][/ol]
I’ve tape myself before and then re-played the tape.[/b]

If I shoot day after day, my groups start looking bad. Take some time to rest [/b][/ol]
Before moving sights. It’s worked for me.[/b]
[/b]
In closing take to your archery pro shop and have them look it over.[/b]
Hope it helps and have a GREAT 2007 season.[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
Byron[/b]
Old 03-28-2007, 02:22 PM

well, i didnt change anything (draw weight, length, etc.)and nothing is loose. just stopped for a day(yesterday) and went back out and the same thing is happengin again. i am shooting a Jennings CMX, Truglo sights (already sighted in), 30" Beman 400 grain carbon arrows, cobra 12oz. stabilizer, and NAP arrow rest. also, at 40 yds and shorter ranges, i am keeping the pin on the 3" triangle the whole time and not shaking or getting tired. i didnt change draw weight or anyhitng at all. my flethcing is not touching the rest at all and all the arrows are hte same weight. i am shooting 30" groups at 20yds and 12+" at 10 yds
Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 PM

The first fork in the road here is to determine if you have a shooter problem or an equipment problem. See if you can find a proficient archer and have him/her try your bow. At the same time, you might shoot a bow that you know groups well and see if it groups for you.

All of us have days when we just can't shoot. I had one last Sunday - and really thought there was something wrong with my bow. If you are shooting well and your bow isn't, it might be time to take it to a shop and have them look it over.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If everything is tight and as it should be with the bow,It could be that you fell into the TRAP of watching the arrow fly.

Just shoot and concentrate on keeping your pin on the target after you touch off the release. Keep the pin on target until you hear the arrow hit the target. DON"T WATCH THE ARROW FLY. Don't try to look at where your arrow hit either. Just knock another arrow and shoot it without trying to look for it sticking in the target.

It is very easy to fall into the trap of watching the arrow when you start missing. You are so worried about why you missed that you are looking for the arrows impact at the instant you trigger the release. You are already moving the bow out of the way to see the arrow as the trigger is pressed.
This causes large groups. It is even more noticable at long ranges. You are shooting 40yds.The slightest movement with your bowarm will throw off the arrow.

Just try not to worry about where you hit and just try to keep the pin on the target until after you hear the arrow's impact. Just do this with several arrows without concern with where each hit. Observe the group when you retrieve your arrows.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not familiar with that bow. If it is an oldertwo cam. it could be that the cams are out of sinc.

I had that problem a few times. It seems that one cable would stretch slightly more than the other throwing it out of sinc. It caused me bigger groups.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 PM

If you think your doing everything the same, shoot it through paper. It may help determine if it is you or the bow. I would shoot it at least twice maybe 5 or 6 times through paper to see how it is ripping. What type of rest are you using? I have seen some drop aways act funny, it is possible that the rest is dropping too soon or staying up too long. You could also put some baby powder or something on the fletching to see if there hitting something. Good luck, I know I have had my share of problems this week.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:08 PM

well, i had my friend do shoot the bow today, he had the same problem. so it cant be me. i also shot his PSE and it grouped fine. its not the cams because i looked at them when my friend was shooting very carefully and they are fine. but after going home, i started shooting the target again and now my groups are getting smaller but they are still about 10 inches at 30 yds. i am using the NAP Quikrest 1000. im not sure if that is the correct name though. i shot it through paper and it is not tearing in any way. it is shooting totally straight. i still have to try that baby powder thing.

Quick Reply: bad groups

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.