Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How were you introduced?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How were you introduced?

My father was and still is an avid bowhunter of 35 years at the young age of 4 he bought me my first bow. After 2 years and6 misses (too excited)i finally took my first deer an old doe shot her at 5 yrds this was at the age of 14 and my favorite animal to hunt is the whitetail deer

Old 03-27-2007, 01:49 PM

1: How and when were you introduced?
I had grown up in a bowhunting family. So i guess I was introduced at a very young age. I remember going to my grandparents house and seeing all of my uncles deer on the wall. And at home my dad had deer on the wall. When I was 3 my parents got divorced and my dad got custody of myself and my baby sister so he gave up hunting to spend the time with us.But he bought me my first bow when I was about 5 and I've been shooting ever since. Dad still doesn't hunt 22 years later and has no desire to, but has always supported me and even spent a couple days in the turkey blind with me just for fun. My uncle Dan (dkbs on this site) has also always been there to help out with any question I've had.

2: Favorite game to hunt?
This is a toss up for me between mature whitetails and black bear. Mature whitetails force you to be a student . You also have to constantly be thinking about every aspect of the hunt, very rarley can you make many mistakes and outsmart a big whitetail. Black bear are just facinating creatures to me have been since I was little.

3:How long did it take to get your first memorable Kill?
about six years of hunting. When I first started hunting I committed to myself to not take a deer under 3 years old so alot got passed up.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:12 PM

1) No one in my family hunted except a uncle who lived 2 1/2 hours away. My family liked to fish alot though. Saturday mornings I used to spend watching ESPN hunting and fishing shows. Not sure what made me decide to try bow hunting, but that had to be the influence there. Got my first bow set up for Christmas when I was 14. Been hunting ever since. My brother also got started at the same time as me. He got a bow that year for Christmas too.

2) Whitetail deer followed by wild turkey. I would love to hunt some other big game animals but so far the opportunity just has not been there. Elk, muledeer, and pronghorn are at the top of my list.

3) 2nd year of hunting. It was a mature doe that I had stalked. She was feeding in cut bean field and I used a small pond to block her view from my approach. What hooked me on bow hunting was the rush and the shakes I got when missing about a 150-160" buck my very first year. He ducked my arrow. Man did I learn a lot the first few years of deer hunting!! Can't wait for season to open!!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i always liked bows and i wanted to hunt for a couple years and i was finally allowed to.

deer so far

first kill about 1 month or less
Old 03-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually picked up a bow out of curiosity after moving on to a farm, Whitetails for certain and about 6 hours of hunting before I arrowed my first deer.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

1) My ol'man...and i am thankful for getting me into huntin cause i dunno what i would do with out it

2) Whitetail and Foam Targets

3) Probly about 6 years. Started when i was about 4 and got a doe when i was 10. Ever since then its been awesome!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 PM

1. I started shooting a bow when I was 13 in 2003. I didn't really have anybody to teach me so my form is probably horrible. My first bow came from wally world and was a PSE Silverhawk and boy was it slow I really would have liked to get a deer with that bow, but I don't think I ever will because the drawlength is too short for me.

2. The only thing i've hunted with a bow is whitetail so I'll have to say that.

3. My first and only kill was 3 years after I started bowhunting. It was a doe from around 20 yards. I was probably more proud of that deer than the bucks i've shot with my shot gun.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I introduced myself in 2003 with a x-bow simply to take advantage of 3 month season vs 2 week for gun. I quickly bought a compound bow because I hated the weight and akwardness of the horizontal bow. Now I much prefer a bow hunt over a gun hunt.

Whitetails

3rd season I took a 6pt buck, but I'm sure I could have scored earlier if I had access to a doe tag.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

2004 by my brother in law. Favorite game is whatever I am hunting at the time! I was shooting for almost a year when I made my first kill. It was a hog. Aboar that weighed about 100lbs. My first deer is the doe in my avatar.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:29 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

My cousins. My dad never hunted other then popping a few skunks or gophers that made it into the yard.

No doubt Whitetails. I was running atrap line when I was 15. Deer weren't very common back in the mid 70's. I saw a buck sneak into an old smallgravel pit with brush and a few trees growing out of it. I pulled a sneak on it to get a better look. Got within 15 yards of him when he bedded down. Spent a good half hour watching him and snuck out of there. He never had a clue. That rush of getting that close still stands out in my mind to this day. Been hooked on them ever since.

First memorable hunt was the very first one atage 16.I got lucky and had a buck walk by. I missed judge the range and shot right under him. [:@]Like I said deer weren't very common. I mightof had 5 or6 does/fawns go by in the next few years while I waited to kill a buck It was 4 years before I took my firstbuck when I was in college. A lot more deer in that area. Saw 11 bucks offmy stand in a weeks time.3 came within bowrange. First one was a forky and I passed. Got busted drawing on the second one which was a decent 4 pt. The 3rd one wasn't so lucky. He was quite a bit bigger too!!

Tim

Quick Reply: How were you introduced?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.