Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this cheating?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:17 PM

Default RE: Is this cheating?

[/quote] Come on you ticket stranded kids for spot lighting your the defnition of a Richard Cranuim. He had to know that they were stranded and that their parents were there to help and they weren't poachers before he ticketed them.
[/quote]

This particular officer seemed more concerned in making it a point to cite some kids than he was concerned about them being stranded, as it was said he waited until the parents showed. I guess I would hope for a little more from those empowered with enforcing the law for the welfare of people and beast alike.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

They were stranded and were not out looking for deer

A couple of years ago.....a car load of teens were stranded....in a broken down vehicle. While they were waiting for help......they were shining their flashlight into fields and woods.....spotlighting deer (again....with a flashlight).
A flash light? The cops an idiot. He should have called a wrecker for the kids.

Were you there to know how he was treated (the officer)
Were you?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, so that I don't make any assumptions ..... the kids were cited for shining a flashlight into a field as they were waiting for a rescue ... you believe the GW was correct in citing them.

Next, you are sitting in a tree with a weapon, before legal shooting light, and you don't consider that hunting ... am I right so far?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

How were they NOT spotlighting???? This is ridiculous!
Really hope you can figure that out while your sitting in your tree stand with a weapon before or after legal hunting time and your not hunting.[8D]
Old 03-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semantics......and up for "opinion". The law is clear. It was left to the discretion of the wildlife officer......and he interpreted the law to the letter
= Richard Cranuim.[8D]

They had a spotlight on a deer
You mean flash light don't you?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Jeff, so that I don't make any assumptions ..... the kids were cited for shining a flashlight into a field as they were waiting for a rescue ... you believe the GW was correct in citing them.

Next, you are sitting in a tree with a weapon, before legal shooting light, and you don't consider that hunting ... am I right so far?
PT. The only "assumption" you made was that I thought the GW was "right". They were CLEARLY breaking the law, though. The option to cite was at the GW's discretion.....but by the letter of the law....he was justified.

If I have camo on.....and I'm in my yard practicing......am I "hunting"? Was I "hunting" when I gave the treestand seminar? NO. I don't consider WAITING until legal hunting hours HUNTING. I consider that WAITING. When I nock an arrow and am set to draw back on a deer.....then I am HUNTING. It's illegal to HUNT until THAT time.

I'll even go a step further.....

If I go home TONIGHT and climb a tree with my bow......and sit there.....am I HUNTING?

Is it ILLEGAL to be in the woods with my bow? Does anyone carry a sidearm when they're shed hunting? Are they HUNTING?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

You mean flash light don't you?
Again....our laws don't distinguish between a "spotlight" and a flashlight. It states "ANY ARTIFICIAL LIGHT".

You can discuss all you want whether or not the GW's actions were "appropriate". Were they within the letter of the law, though? YES.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

PT. The only "assumption" you made was that I thought the GW was "right". They were CLEARLY breaking the law, though. The option to cite was at the GW's discretion.....but by the letter of the law....he was justified.

If I have camo on.....and I'm in my yard practicing......am I "hunting"? Was I "hunting" when I gave the treestand seminar? NO. I don't consider WAITING until legal hunting hours HUNTING. I consider that WAITING. When I nock an arrow and am set to draw back on a deer.....then I am HUNTING. It's illegal to HUNT until THAT time.

I'll even go a step further.....

If I go home TONIGHT and climb a tree with my bow......and sit there.....am I HUNTING?

Is it ILLEGAL to be in the woods with my bow? Does anyone carry a sidearm when they're shed hunting? Are they HUNTING?
According to you that would be left up to the GW's discretion, not ours. You could be cited for it.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is something called "intention" Jeff. By the way, you stood up for the GW when he was called a name. I'll just call him an idiot and leave it at that. Your position on what is hunting makes no sense .... intent is what determines hunting ... you can argue all you want ... if you sit in a tree in your backyard in camo with a loaded weapon ... you are asking for a visit from the GW ... and if he determines your intention was to take an animal .... I'll send ya a cake with a file in it ...
Old 03-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

The law in this county reads (verbatim):

No person shall, between the hours of ½ hour after sunset and ½ hour before sunrise, intentionally shine a light upon a deer or intentionally sweep a light in search of a deer in these areas (map denotes counties covered by this statute).

How much clearer does it get????
And Dan...PT...others.....IF it's left to the GW's discretion......what should I do? ANY time I have a question as to what's legal or not....I CALL HIM. I DID THAT. HE ANSWERED ME. I'm OK.

Quick Reply: Is this cheating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.