Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this cheating?

Old 03-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Is this cheating?

Walk out of the woods at night and unload your gun when you get to the car and I'll guarentee, you get be ticketed for it.
I don;t gun hunt....but I know, in NC, you can be cited for having a loaded gun near a public highway.

How do you say when your in your stand with a bow your not hunting? If a game warden wanted to be a real richard cranuim he couldwrite you up.
I say it the same way I say I'm not hunting when I have a bow and a quiver full of arrows in my car when I'm on my way home from shooting 3D and I stop to scout turkeys. I'm not hunting.

I say it the same way I say it when I'm walking from my truck to my house with the same bow and quiver full of arrows.....and it's after dark....and there are deer in my lot. I'm not hunting.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't really see it that way;
In one instance you have a group of kids, who didn't elect to go seek out deer that day. Due to some unfortunate events, they became stranded and in the dark. Maybe they heard something or maybe they just decided to look around. But they happened to find a deer with the flash light, and were charged with a crime. Wrong place, wrong time, whatever?

Then we get to you;
A man who is intending to killing a deer that day. He has spent a lot of time and money to prepare for this hunt. He has access to a computer and game laws where poorly written regulations exist. Since they're hard to understand, by default, he sides with what is most convenient to him and his pursuit of the game that he is hunting.

One of these two scenarios includes a person who suspected he might be doing something wrong and decided to continue, and the other most likely did not have a clue.

I know what you're saying, and guess what - I do it too! And to expand on that, I'm pretty sure that if I were to get caught, I might get into some trouble, but like many, I take the risk. Is what I'm doing unethical? To me; no. Is it illegal; maybe? Do I know for sure; no. Am I going to stop; probably not. Do I know that there is risk involved; yes.

I'm pretty sure you agree, but admitting it is another subject I guess?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

In one instance you have a group of kids, who didn't elect to go seek out deer that day.
These kids ......it doesn't MATTER what their "intent" is. It's not even up for interpretation. What they did is CLEARLY against the law. Whether or not they intended to "take" a deer, that night, is IRRELEVANT.

Totally separate issue. "If" you shine a light at a deer in that county....."Then" you have broken the law.

"Your" interpretation (not neccessarily NC's)....is that I'm "hunting"....or "preparing" to take a game animal when I (I guess) leave my house?????I have my bow and quiver full of arrows.....so I "must" be "preparing" to take a game animal???? Where does it end???

Where did the "immediately preparing" get lost?

i don't have a problem with anything you're doing. I'm also going to be hunting some with my game warden, this season. Should be fun!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I looked up immediately. I was surprised to find five different meanings. Some look as if they'd support your argument, and some would support mine. I'm not a lawyer and wouldn't admit it if I were, so I'm not going to speculate on this anymore, but I do see this differently
Old 03-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

No problem, KP. Heck you don't even have to hunt, here!!!....lol

I've got a good relationship with our GW......and I'm sure he'd let me know if I or any of my friends were doing things wrong. I ask him a LOT of questions.....and I'll ask him this one, too. I'll get back with you.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

KP:

If I'm not drawing back on an animal......or aiming my firearm at him.....I'm not "immediately preparing" to "take" him.

This....according to my GW.

You can talk to yours if you want to ease your mind.....but I'm doing nothing wrong.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

In one instance you have a group of kids, who didn't elect to go seek out deer that day.
These kids ......it doesn't MATTER what their "intent" is. It's not even up for interpretation. What they did is CLEARLY against the law. Whether or not they intended to "take" a deer, that night, is IRRELEVANT.

Totally separate issue. "If" you shine a light at a deer in that county....."Then" you have broken the law.

"Your" interpretation (not neccessarily NC's)....is that I'm "hunting"....or "preparing" to take a game animal when I (I guess) leave my house?????I have my bow and quiver full of arrows.....so I "must" be "preparing" to take a game animal???? Where does it end???

Where did the "immediately preparing" get lost?

i don't have a problem with anything you're doing. I'm also going to be hunting some with my game warden, this season. Should be fun!
I guess everyone driving a car at night that happens to drive by any wooded area will likely shine a deer, so they must get cited? Don't you dare have a flat tire on the side of the road adn use a flashlight at night as you may shine a deer? Common sense, more importantly intent to knowlybreak the law needs to be determined in my opinion in order for a citation to make sense.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Common sense, more importantly intent to knowlybreak the law needs to be determined in my opinion in order for a citation to make sense.
I went to a TN university to play baseball.....right out of high school. On my maiden voyage up there.....car full of clothes and what not.....I went through VA and got pulled over. When the state patrolman came up to my car.....he asked me if I knew why he pulled me. I said "No". He said it was unlawful, in VA, to operate a motor vehicle while wearing headphones (I had on my Sony Walkman headphones). I pleaded.....saying I wasn't aware of the law....and he actually said "Son....ignorance of the law is no excuse".

He cited me.

Did I break the law?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

GMMAT, you asked
.....how was he to know he wasn't looking at a poacher?
I answered

finding out that they were stranded and didn't have guns in the car would have proably been a clue.

Were they "spot lighting" by the letter of the law yes,but he wouldn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out he wasn't dealing with a poacher.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is why I believe it’s so hard to catch poachers in MY state. I don’t think there’s a damned thing they can do about a man hunting without a license ……or hunting out of season…..until he actually ATTEMPTS to TAKE a game animal.
That's the difference between states NYS if you are afield with a bow or gun you are hunting.

Quick Reply: Is this cheating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.