Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this cheating?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is this cheating?

I actually find it HARD to believe...the deer just stood there while climbed up his stand, got all his gear organized etc. Seems far fetched to me.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

IMO a deer isn't just going to hang out because it has been hit with a light in the eyes. I have spooked many a deer when walking through the woods in the AM and even though you have a light in their eyes they aren't going to stick around long with crunching leaves from you walking footsteps. I think it was a freak deal or he is blowing smoke up your butt with his story.
Yeah I'd have to agree here. I don't see holding a light on a deer's eyes holding them there for long. I thought about how many times I've had a deer in the headlights, and before long they're bolting. I'm thinking this is kind of a BS deal where it may have happened like one time.....just saying....don't get me wrong...It very well may have happened, I just think that it's slightly misconstrued.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

MDDave:

I've got a spot that I HAVE to beat the deer in there to have a chance. My best buck to date.......I didn't even go to bed, that night. Lisa and I had been out with friends......and I made a decision to go to stand....in lieu of going to bed. I got on stand a little earleir than 3:30......and it was 14 deg.! I had a choice to sleep or get in undetected. It's not something I do every time out in the AM......but it's a proven tactic.
That is illegal in my state. Half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset. Rise and set tables are provided by the game department.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

not cheating if you are just trying to get to your stand. just dont shoot them when you got the light on
Old 03-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

That is illegal in my state. Half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset. Rise and set tables are provided by the game department.

I believe the times you have stated are shooting hours not the time you are allowed in the woods. For example if you are hunting yotes you can hunt and shoot all night here in Ohio.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHBowhunter

I believe the times you have stated are shooting hours not the time you are allowed in the woods. For example if you are hunting yotes you can hunt and shoot all night here in Ohio.
No, I was refering to deer hunting. I'm pretty sure the game department would see being in the stand with a weapon as hunting.

In VA there are a number of animals you can hunt at night just as you mentioned, but deer aren't one of them.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Killer:

I'm not SURE.....but I "think" the times you speak of are recognized here, too. Thing is....I "think" that's for hunting, only. Im not "hunting" when I'm walking to my stand. I'm not even hunting when I get IN my stand.

We can't SHOOT until "first light" (here in NC). We can't shoot AFTER 30 minutes after sunset.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

try more like illegal in most states. its called shinning with a weapon, big time fine here in wi. also loss of license and hunting privlidges for up to 5 years
Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Killer:

I'm not SURE.....but I "think" the times you speak of are recognized here, too. Thing is....I "think" that's for hunting, only. Im not "hunting" when I'm walking to my stand. I'm not even hunting when I get IN my stand.

We can't SHOOT until "first light" (here in NC). We can't shoot AFTER 30 minutes after sunset.
I agree, but if we go back to the kids with the flash light for a moment and picture the same game rep finding you in the stand well before legal hours, you would be charged. Is it fair, probably not, but that is the way I understand it. I think being in full dress, in the woods, up in the stand with hunting gear; would be classified as hunting.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Killer Primate I believe we are dealing with a part of the law that is not well defined. Lets see
1. You are allowed to walk in the woods at any time with your bow
2. You are NOT allowed to SHOOT deer outside of the allowed times set
3. When you are in the woods you can hunt yotes with a bow. Who isto say what you are hunting?

It all comes back to being a ethical hunter.

Quick Reply: Is this cheating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.