Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this cheating?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Is this cheating?

I see the humor.....but it's been a problem around here for years. If it weren't.....they wouldn't be so adamant about it. if you look at it from the warden's POV.....how was he to know he wasn't looking at a poacher?

It made the news, here.....and there was a lot of grumbling.....but the bottom line is....they broke the law. They were ALL fined.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems a little excessive, I must say, but Game Wardens aren't exactly known to be lenient.

I think I'd have to let the kids slide.

If I was walking through a field with a flashlight just having some fun with my friends, would this warrant a citation?.......I certainly hope not.

I think alot of these wardens are too damn gung-ho...A little dicretion would be nice.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

I spoke to a good friend and hunting partner the other day about planning a trip. We’d reflected on what we’d learnedlast year and had fun telling each other some hunting stories. We started talking about a new hot spot we found last year that we’re both excited about and how it is hard to get in there without spooking the deer. He then passed along a tip that another friend had told him about. We both feel that this is borderline cheating and I thought I’d get your opinion.

Apparently, this other friend has a pretty good trick for not spooking deer when traveling through their territory in the early morning hours. He brings a standard one-watt LED flashlight in the woods and scans the area before and while traveling through. If he sees eyes glowing, he keeps the flashlight pointed into the eyes of the deer. He went as far as to say, he’d once gottenreallyclose since they were near his stand and they (the deer) stuck around so long that he had to keep the light in their eyes until he was on the stand and settled in. He then turned off the light and waited for daylight. Shortly after, guess what… no real surprise, he shot a deer with his bow.

How does this make you guys feel?

There are rules about using lights, but they vary and are very vague from what I’ve seen. Further, most safety courses tell you that you should carry a flash light in the dark so that you can be identified as a human. But all rules aside for a moment. What do you think; is this cheating?
I don't think the deer stuck around because of the light. Maybe it wasn't even the same deer.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

It would be illegal in NY ....so it really wouldn't matter to me .... if it were legal? .... I still wouldn't be flashing a light all over as I was walking to my stand
Old 03-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't view this as cheating, he didn't take the shot while using the light and was just walking in. I walked into a bunch of does with light on and had them hang, but usually the moment that light climbs the tree they'll move away. If you didn't spook them too bad, they may return, they were there in the first place for a reason and we usually put our stands in locations where we know deer frequent.

Kel
Old 03-27-2007, 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

THE reason I posted what I did......

A couple of years ago.....a car load of teens were stranded....in a broken down vehicle. While they were waiting for help......they were shining their flashlight into fields and woods.....spotlighting deer (again....with a flashlight).

They were ALL cited by a warden who witnessed this.
i dont see what is wrong with this as long as they didnt have a gun. spotlights dont kill deer,guns/bows do. they have a gun in this situation and its a WHOLE nuther scenario.

If it is illegal to use a spotlight no matter what in NC then i say the game warden was doing right. breaking game laws is breaking game laws, though some are obviously alot worse than this scenario.

i never knew it was illegal if you didnt have a gun on you, cuz honestly what harm can this do? are you going to blind the deer to death?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:20 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

It does indeed work!! It is illegal to spot light deer here. We don't use a flashlight when accessing our bowhuntingspots. It's too open here and draws attention. Plus the deer seem to get curious and will investigate. I want to get in and out undetected by both competition and deer. One of the biggest reasons we scout. I want to know how to approachor leave an area without running into deer or at least keep it to a minimum.

However when I run the grain dryer at night, I've walked within yards of many deer using a flashlight when checking bins or am just bored.Some of them being very nice bucks. You keep the light on them, you would be amazed how much you can get away with. Youcan walk right up on them with the wind in your face and a quiet approach. A poacher would have a hay day doing it.

I can see why shining is illegal here and am glad it is. It is a really unfair advantage and our deer are just as skiddish as anyone elses.

Tim
Old 03-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

might sound crazy but if its that hard to get in there without spookin the deer an u know theres a dandy in there.. sleep in your tree stand.(if you got a comfortable one) i know a guy who does it.. i dont think i could do it well then again if i got a monster on trail camera it might be worth it.. jus a thought.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:25 AM
Dominant Buck

MDDave:

I've got a spot that I HAVE to beat the deer in there to have a chance. My best buck to date.......I didn't even go to bed, that night. Lisa and I had been out with friends......and I made a decision to go to stand....in lieu of going to bed. I got on stand a little earleir than 3:30......and it was 14 deg.! I had a choice to sleep or get in undetected. It's not something I do every time out in the AM......but it's a proven tactic.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

might sound crazy but if its that hard to get in there without spookin the deer an u know theres a dandy in there.. sleep in your tree stand.(if you got a comfortable one) i know a guy who does it.. i dont think i could do it well then again if i got a monster on trail camera it might be worth it.. jus a thought.
I've heard of a guy doing this in another forum. The turn out was a awesome trophy. Apparantly he had been hunting this buck for a while, and it was the only way to beat him to the area.

I was impressed andhave respect for anyone who goes to theseextremes.
I was wondering if there was a legal issue here, but probably not.
As long as your bow is cased you should be legal. I doubt he did though.

Quick Reply: Is this cheating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.