Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2006 Archery buck pics...

Old 03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default 2006 Archery buck pics...

I am new to the site and thought I would share pictures of my 2006 Archery Buck. In our area of Colorado, Mule Deer are the most common species of deer.I came across this whitetail back in early the spring. WhenI first saw this buck he has horns about 6 inches in length and as big around as a golf ball.I spent the next 4 months keeping tabs on him and watching him grow. I have several pictures of him thru out the summer as he was growing. With two weeks to go before archery season began.I thought we had lost him as we didn't see him as often. The first night of the 2006 archery season found me where I thought he might be. As luck would have it, the stars lined up just right, and I was able to put a stalk on him. I shot this deer at 33 yards with my HCA Power Force bow, 2314 easton arrows and a 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy.I shot a little bit high and dropped him in his tracks.

Oneof the most paculiar things about this deer is, he had a horn growing out of his nose. There is actually 4 points. 2 of which broke thru the skin the others are similar to warts under the skin.

I picked him up from the taxidermist a little over a week ago. So now he is coloring the wall of the living room.

Heres a little bit of "size comparision". This is a Missouri buck I shot with my bow in the fall of 1992. You didn't see many "nice bucks" in that area back then. Mainly due to major overhunting and poaching. He's definitly not a monster but he looks alot smaller next to this guy.

He grossed 140 2/8,as a typical 8 point, minus 6 3/8 deductions, ( the split brow time was the most at 2 2/8 and a little diffrence on the G-2) gave him net score of 133 7/8. The minimum for the P&Y book is 125. He is also #95 in the Colorado record book for Typical Whitetails.

Hope you enjoy....
Old 03-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2006 Archery buck pics...

Great buck, and welcome. He is different.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen that buck before! Welcome aboard Gander. Its nice to see a familar face on this board. You're gonna like it here a lot. There is a ton of good people on here.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holy Crap is that thing tall!!
And that horn on the snout is just wild, nice mount!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should let everyone know that Elknutz here is a huntin' SOB. He is a goose, yote, and big game killin' machine. Just don't ask him to go duck huntin'. He is very respected and well liked by the biggest majority of waterfowl hunters in Colorado, and he's just a lot of fun. Welcome again Gander.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow... The extra point is quite odd. I don't recall ever seeing one that far from the burrs. Great buck and unique trophy. Congrats!
Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I should let everyone know that Elknutz here is a huntin' SOB. He is a goose, yote, and big game killin' machine. Just don't ask him to go duck huntin'. He is very respected and well liked by the biggest majority of waterfowl hunters in Colorado, and he's just a lot of fun. Welcome again Gander.
I appreciate the kind words and the warm welcome but you don't have to fib to these nice folks. I have put alot of work into goose hunting over the last10 years, it was my main focus every winter. But It's a weird feeling not really having the"want" to go kill 'em. I was plenty content this year shooting coyotes. I don't know if it's not a challenge like it used to be or just plain getting sick of it. Iplan on doing alot more big game hunting this year and not quite so much goose pounding. Maybe 40 days instead of the usual 70 or 80. I tried to register under my usual name but someone had already taken it. I had to get creative....but I kinda like it. Looking forward to hanging out here and maybe getting the chance to spend some time in the outdoors with a few of you.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:56 AM

Man that deer has a tall rack. Great job!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:27 AM

great buck and welcome. I was wondering what the chances of that deer being a hybrid are his antlers have the caricteristics of a mulie other than the forked G-2's and yours has bigger brow tines. do the two species inter breed on occation.

Jeff
Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

that buck looks awesome that point all the way down by his nose is really weird but cool.

Quick Reply: 2006 Archery buck pics...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.