Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!!

Old 03-26-2007, 09:03 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!!

Any REAL bowhunter would not be tempted to use thier sidearm on game during bow season.That's why we use a bow.The problem lies w/ the "outlaws" that will use such a reg. change to take an animal. The law was changed for a good reason and just maybe you might find yourself face to face w/ a bear some evening, it's too bad that someone will take unfair advantage of a law the was changed to allow bowhunters some defense against an animal w/ a bad attitude.

I won't hesitate to turn in a poacher and I suppose we need to police our own ranks a little more.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:49 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

One thing that should be mentioned is that with this law in place,it makes itall that much harder to catch a poacher, putting LEO's at a further disadvantage of enforcing the law.

Before, ifa WCOcaught a guy walking out of the woods with a bow in one hand, and a T/C encore 13" .223 scoped pistol in the other hand, the warden could just start writing out the fine. Now, you have to catch him in the act, which is much, much more difficult.
Was there a law that said that I can't carry a firearm in the woods during bow season? Most I've seen simply say that a firearm isn't a legal means of taking an animal not that I can't carry a firearm. I could just argue that I was plinking or squirrel hunting. If there were other legal, legitimate reasons to be in the woods with a firearm, which there always are... there would be a real tough case to be legally proven for writing me a ticket for hiking out with a bow and a rifle/pistol. I don't think this law really changes anything, they've still got to be caught in the act taking an animal through inappropriate means for the violation to stick.
Ithas beenillegal to carry a firearm while bowhunting in ND. It is in the works to allow carrying handguns. The only dangerous thing I worry about is stumbling across some druggy making methout in the old abandonedfarmsteads here. We found signs of meth being produce in one of the boss's old abandoned farmsteads.

Poachers will be poachers. Laws only seem to effect the law abiding but Quicksliver has agood point about making it tougher on the wardens to enforce. My family and my saftey are a better point though. My handgun doesn't do me a bit of good sitting inthe truck when I am bowhunting. Heck I leave it at home for the most part nowduring bow seasonfor fear some idiot will break in my truck and steal it.

If it does pass we will be carrying this fall.

Tim
Old 03-27-2007, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

It should be very easy even to tell the difference if an animal has been arrowed or shot, even for an inexperienced game warden. The temptation would only affect those who would break the law anyway imo. I wish NY would folow suit, but I know that would make to much sense for these so called leaders we in NY are blessed with.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Harvester

It should be very easy even to tell the difference if an animal has been arrowed or shot, even for an inexperienced game warden. The temptation would only affect those who would break the law anyway imo. I wish NY would folow suit, but I know that would make to much sense for these so called leaders we in NY are blessed with.
You would be talking about king Hillary would you???/ I am so glad I moved from that state years ago........
Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Was there a law that said that I can't carry a firearm in the woods during bow season?
It's illegal in NC.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:59 AM

I used to hunt with a guy who's family had a Big ranch in Wyoming that bordered Yellow Stone. He was Mule deer hunting with a rifle one year when he accidentally got between a sow and her cubs. She came for him and he dodged behind a tree and kept the tree between them while he unloaded the gun into her. His father had pictures of the scene.
I don't have a problem with it.
I got invited out there one year and had to turn them down. I don't know what I was thinking.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with most, I grew up in Wyoming and always thought it was stupid not to allow guys to carry sidearms in Wyoming expecially when they were bowhunting in Griz country. I've learned through the years that if a guy is going to shoot an animal illegally he'll do it during any season anytime and there's no stopping him until he gets caught.