Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!!

Old 03-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!!

Yeah,the old Pennsylvania statutory scheme used to ban all sidearms while engaged in archery hunting. People cried and moaned until they recently had it changed. Apparently, we have guys who are afraid of being torn limb-from-limb by a savage Groundhog or Fox Squirrel. LOL

Up until now, it was easy for our wardens, b/c if they nabbed any bowhuntercoming out of the woods with any firearm, it was an instant fine. No questions. Now, they have to catch the poachers red-handed. Almost all of PA's WCO's vehemently opposed the rule change, but their attempts to block it were unsuccessful. (Our law also lifted the ban on carrying handguns while spotlighting for deertoo).

Under our old spotlighting law - you were not allowed to spotlight the deer with ANY firearms in the car. If you got pulled over, and had one under the seat, you got a hefty fine. Now, it's perfectly legal for guys to ride around "spotting" with a scoped 13" T/C Encore .223 pistol under the seat. Our wardens don't like it at all, and they're clamoring now to have spotlighting totally banned within the Commonwealth as a result. Matter of fact, a house bill was introduced just about a week ago aimed at banning spotting altogether. WCO's say that they will not be able to stop poachers with this law in place.

Crazy how things work out.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:19 PM

Does anyone else find it absurd that a person could legally carry a sidearm through downtown but not while bowhunting? I say "Bravo!" for the law change; it's about time they started making some sense of regulations like this.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

thats crazy! i betcha people will start hunting with their rifles and that is not good...why not just allow a handgun or somtin...this world is somtimes on crack![&:]
Old 03-26-2007, 01:25 PM

i live in an area where guns during bow season is not called for, and i do believe if some one is going t poach, then there is no stopping them. but it will indeed make it harder to catch them. guess i would really have to be living where you are to give an honest opinion about it
Old 03-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

In VA carrying a side arm requires a permit, no matter where you are or what you're doing. In the store, in the car, in the woods, no difference, and the game department spellsit outpretty clearly in their rules and regs.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say great, more power to them. I carry a 44 with me in my pack when I bowhunt. I have had cats and bears come in at night when I am covered in blood from the days kill. 3 years ago I was standing at full draw on my sleeping bag while a bear circled me. Not a confortable feeling to be woke up by a bunch of snorting and jaw popping from a fewfeet away!!!

I have been around black bears enough to know that there is a low probabilty of being attacked, but I don't ever want to be in a situation where I was wishing that I had a gun.

The cats are the ones that I don't trust, I have had a couple of close encounters with them, and neither seemed very friendly. Having an 8 foot tom crawl in on you is enough to make anyone wish they had a pistol.

Poachers will be poachers, and they should not be the reason why law abiding citizens have their rights revoked.

Kudos to the people who fought for what they believed in and won!!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the law, everyone deserves protection while out in the field...however, i disagree with everyone who believes this lawWILL NOT create more poachers. I gaurentee you that some ignorant people who never had poached before, will take this new easy opportunity to break the law with a better chance of not getting caught. Just my 2 cents.

KP
Old 03-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Whats the big deal?
Its not legal in CT but it should be. As far as poaching I dont think it'll matter a bit. I doubt many will go carting a rifle on a bowhunt & a handgun, in most folks hands isn't any better of a game getter than a bow. Add the fact thaty my 8 year old can tell the difference between a bow wound vs a gunshot & its a no brainer.
If you want to carry a gun it shouldn't matter where you go with it, it only matters what you do with it. Presumption of innocence & all that crap used to mean something in America.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Yeah,the old Pennsylvania statutory scheme used to ban all sidearms while engaged in archery hunting. People cried and moaned until they recently had it changed. Apparently, we have guys who are afraid of being torn limb-from-limb by a savage Groundhog or Fox Squirrel. LOL
Are you talking about last year, or is this a new change forthis year?
I'm looking at the reg's from '06-'07 and on page 50 it states you can't carry a firearm of any type while archery deer hunting.

I have not checked '07-'08 reg's yet , is that what you are talking about?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:47 PM

I was angry at first, but some of your comments make good sense.
My biggest fear is the temptation to draw down on a royal bull might be too tempting for some.
And I didn't want to fear bullets flying over my hear while archery hunting, that's why I got into it to start with! A SEPERATE SEASON!
This has nothing to do with 2nd ammendment, nobody's trying to take your guns away. My anger is how they have taken away the purity of the bow season because somebody thinks they might have an encounter with a dangerous predator. Kind of like going fishing with dynamite . . . you can have dynamite, and you can go fish, but the two aren't supposed to be mixed.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.