Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow for Kids

Old 03-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default Bow for Kids

I am unsure if the is the correct forum for this question. I have a soon to be 5 year old and a 12 year old girls. I recently purchased my first bow that i can call mine. I bought an 06' bowtech tribute. My question is this when i picked my bow my kids where with me and now they want bows. Could someone tell me what they would suggestas good beginner bows for my girls?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-23-2007, 09:08 AM

Default RE: Bow for Kids

I am actually fixing to get my wife's little brother a bow, and he is 12. i have looked at the mathews geniuse bows. They are good because you dont have to worry about draw length, and they start at 10lbs. Parker also has a bow with a real easy adjustable draw, called the buck shot. both are nice.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

This Comes From Hoyt.com ----

Introducing the Trykon Sport and Trykon Jr. built especially for youth and kids. Both of these new bows feature the same TEC riser design, parallel split limbs, FUSE Custom Strings, AlphaShox, StringShox and aggressive looks as the original Trykon but in a much smaller package. The Trykon Sport is designed for older youth and is equipped with Hoyt’s original Cam & 1/2. The Trykon Jr. features Hoyt’s extremely adaptive Versa Cam & 1/2 that allows for 8 inches of draw length adjustment. This means that your kids will not grow out of the bow and will be able to put it to use for years to come. Now your kids can have the same bow as their favorite hunting partner and hero, their dad.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is my son's progression tough the years. He started at age 6 with a Little Sioux Bow, went to a Coyote Selfbow, to a Howard Hill Longbow to a selfbow that we both made last year. Pictures are from age 7 to 11. When he turns 14, he can decide if he wants a compound or not. Some his friends right now are shooting compound, but he has neverasked for one. He is having an aweful lot of fun with the bow we made though. It took us about 12 hours to finish it up. You may also notice that he made a switch to southpaw during his progression.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy got his ten year old son a Parker. I watched him shoot it and it looked like a really nice set up, and I'm pretty sure it would grow with him for a while also. I think I may get my kids a bow soon too. Great info blackmax2 & outdoormafiaKP, nice pics and info Bob, thanks!

KP
Old 03-23-2007, 09:49 AM

when i was little i used a Browning Micro midas it helped me out alot I have now passed it on to my nephew who is about 10 and just beginning
Old 03-23-2007, 10:20 AM

I bought my 11 yr. old daughter a Browning mirco midas . We both love it . It has all the features that you would expect in an adult sized bow .
Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Spike

Thank you all for your input and pictures. This is an awesome board with alot of knowledge. I know my post don't show how often i come on but i have read and learneda ton of things off this site.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:18 PM

the mathews geniuse bows also has a mini this is what we bought for our 7year old and 5year old here is some info on them

Genesis Mini Bow
The new Mini Genesis - a smaller, lighter version of the original Genesis bow that allows youngsters to shoot.
Featuring the same revolutionary technology as the original Genesis bow, the new Mini Genesis is scaled to fit even smaller-framed youngsters. Weighing only 2 pounds, and with adjustable draw weights of 6 to 12 pounds, the new Mini Genesis fits even pre-schoolers who are ready for the unique thrills of archery.
Just like the original Genesis, the new Mini offers �zero let-off� so that there is no set draw length. Rather, the Mini Genesis can be drawn to a wide range of lengths, whatever fits that particular young shooter. Yet, the zero let-off feature helps to �pull� the string from the fingers upon release, making it easy to shoot. And at only 2 pounds physical weight, the bow is easy for youngsters to draw and aim without getting fatigued.
Mini Genesis features:
*29-inch axle-to-axle length
*6 1/8-inch brace height
*Adjustable draw weight 6-12 pounds
*Draw length range of 14-25 inches
*2 pounds mass weight
*Carbon cable guard
*Four popular flavors (red cherry, blue raspberry, black licorice and camo)
Price: $139.95
this is the best price I could find. it was at BowHuntingStuff .com

Old 03-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

That is pretty much a open question.
Alot of manufacture's make a youth bow.
It all depend's if your talking Recurve or compound.
PSE,Mathew's,Hoyte,ect...
PSE would be more inexpensive if they are starting out with the recurve.
Probley the best thing would be to go to the Archery shop and ask to look thru some catalogs and ask alot of Question's there.
I hope I didn't confuse your quest even more.