Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Straight

Old 03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Straight

I just got my gobbler guillotines and I practiced with them at 20 yards with the blades not installed. They flew good and got good penetration but the consistenly shot 4 inches or so right and low. When I switched to my regular 125gr field points they flew low but were on left to right. My question is this, will the guillotinefly straight when I put the blades on it?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Straight

Buck, if you wanna be confident when you go out there, you're gonna have to put 'em on and see ......

Wash, should chime in and help ya out in a sec ...
Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

I just got my gobbler guillotines and I practiced with them at 20 yards with the blades not installed. They flew good and got good penetration but the consistenly shot 4 inches or so right and low. When I switched to my regular 125gr field points they flew low but were on left to right. My question is this, will the guillotinefly straight when I put the blades on it?
Ya, you need to practice with what your going to be actually doing out in the field, for confidence sake and respect for the animal. Good Luck!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any suggestions on how to practice without breaking the blades?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:14 PM

You're going to have to sacrifice one of them if you really want to "practice" with them.

If you've got an open field you can shoot in, set a cucumber on a stick and walk back 20 - 30 yards and shoot it. You may break the blades, you may not. I did, now I'm down to two.

They fly just like your field points. You don't need to tune your bow to them.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys are dumb enough that my first shot with the blades on will be at a turkey. theres enough of them around where i hunt so we'll have to see. Good luck everyone on the upcoming season and thanks for the help

Old 03-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

Turkeys are dumb enough that my first shot with the blades on will be at a turkey. theres enough of them around where i hunt so we'll have to see. Good luck everyone on the upcoming season and thanks for the help
WOW!!! You are really just going to take the first shot at a turkey that you have worked hard to get close enough to for a shot? That makes no sense to me. You have hundreds of dollars in a bow, god knows how much on those broadheads, and all the time it will take to get a shot and you are going to just gamble on that on a maybe when for the price of a few blades you could find out for sure? Obviously it is completely up to you, but I would spend the $5-$10 on blades and check.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, that is a weird choice of words.

First, “dumb” is the inability to speak, either permanently or temporarily. People once thought that if you could not speak you must be stupid, so dumb kind of got mixed in there with stupid. But now that we look back and can see that we were wrong, it is pretty stupid to use “dumb” in the context you selected.

Now for the irony, I’d say that you’re making a stupid decision to take your chances at a turkey, simply because you don’t want to damage your blades with practice. As Hunting Son mentioned, you’ve already got an investment in your set up. By the time you get into the woods, scout, build a blind or stand, call them in and finally take a shot. Sounds good, but what if you miss? Was it your shot, did you do something different without knowing, or was it those blades? Those ones that are now damaged, and still no turkey. If you miss because you made a bad shot for whatever reason, that is hunting. If you miss because you were lazy and cheap, that’s stupid.
Do the honesty test; If you do miss, can you be honest to others about why and not be embarrassed? If so, you’re doing okay, if not, change something about your MO.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Man, that is a weird choice of words.

First, “dumb” is the inability to speak, either permanently or temporarily. People once thought that if you could not speak you must be stupid, so dumb kind of got mixed in there with stupid. But now that we look back and can see that we were wrong, it is pretty stupid to use “dumb” in the context you selected.

Now for the irony, I’d say that you’re making a stupid decision to take your chances at a turkey, simply because you don’t want to damage your blades with practice. As Hunting Son mentioned, you’ve already got an investment in your set up. By the time you get into the woods, scout, build a blind or stand, call them in and finally take a shot. Sounds good, but what if you miss? Was it your shot, did you do something different without knowing, or was it those blades? Those ones that are now damaged, and still no turkey. If you miss because you made a bad shot for whatever reason, that is hunting. If you miss because you were lazy and cheap, that’s stupid.
Do the honesty test; If you do miss, can you be honest to others about why and not be embarrassed? If so, you’re doing okay, if not, change something about your MO.
Wow...this should be posted at the top of the forum. Well said.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:17 AM

To think that a head with 4 inch blades will fly just like your field points at every yardage is a bit of a leap in faith for me. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I would certainly try it first to make sure.

So you are telling me that you are willing to go out and turkey hunt and wait until you see a turkey to see if you can miss or wound one? That does not make much sense to me. Not very ethical in my opinion either, but ethics are a personal thing. If you are OK with it I guess that is what matters. You wouldn't be hunting with me though, that is for sure.

I tried about 5 different loads in my shotgun I think before I found one I was happy with to turkey hunt. There is no way I would slap some big old head on one of my arrows and hope they shoot right. I mean c'mon, they don't fly right without the blades, what makes you think they will with them? The only way to know for sure is to try it. There has to be some sort of soft medium you can shoot into and not ruin them. If that is not the case they don't sound like very good blades to me. That is a LOT of money for something that fragile in my opinion.

The only issue I could see with them not having the same impact point as your field tips without the blades is a weight issue. They obviously do not weigh as much without the blades on them. However I have shoot arrows that were 100 grns off in weight together and still had them group better than that. If switching from one head to another effected things that much I would be looking for another problem, like spine issues, inconsistant arrows or your inserts not being true.

I just can't believe you are not willing to shoot them before you hunt with them. If you can't afford to do it right, then just use regular broad heads that you know will work.

As far as turkeys being dumb, I would like to hunt where you do. Where I live turkeys are about the hardest animal to hunt. If they had a decent sense of smell you would NEVER kill one, heck you would probably never see one.

Just my opinions anyway.

Paul

Quick Reply: Straight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.