Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you think about..... (plastic accessories)

Old 03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What do you think about..... (plastic accessories)

That's the spirit now... Equipment Manufacturers get on board. Place your orders now. I'm a Manager at an Aluminum Extrusion Company. PM me for all your quotes!

The Public has spoken!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:19 PM

I agree that plastics have their place but I also look atan all metalsight and think the sight is only as strong as its weakest link. Which would be the fiber optics. Pin gaurds on sights come to mind when I think of platic parts on a sight. This plastic is fairly thick, how much force is it going to take to break that housing. Yet it will take very little force to break a fiber optic and most sights have fiber optics so the weakest link is the same on all sights.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will tell you one accessory where Plastic really works .....and that's the Muzzy Zero Effect rest. The mounting block and hardware is metal but the main guts of the rest are some super tough delrin type plastic with a carbon launcher rod.
I never would have thought what amounts to almost a completely plastic rest could be that tough and reliable. It's also very quiet when installed properly.
I am glad to see that the pricing came down over what it was when the rest came out.......I remember the first production ones were selling for over $100.

So there ARE a few exceptions to the rule.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, Matt... I gotta admit I was extremely disappointed when I bought the MZE to try and saw the amount of platic it was comprised of.

Then, I started using it. Then I started abusing it. Then I wrote my glowing review of it.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

A Glock is mostly plastic, anybody feel like giving me theirs?

You get what you pay for, and the market for low priced goods is so much larger than the one for top dollar gear that any manufacturer would be a fool to ignore it. If you don't like plastic then don't buy it.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

What are your thoughts of high end archery gear being made of plastic?

I'm just sayingas a consumer paying $80-$200 dollars fora piece of gear(that is ascriticalto having no failure in the fieldas a rest or sight) thatmanufacturing them out of aluminum ormagnesium rather than plasticisn't asking for to much in my opinion.

After breaking severalpieces of gearmade with / out ofplastic components over the past couple years, I now make it a point to only purchase gear thatis made of aluminum etc.

Note: I do see in some cases where plastic would need to be used for fiber optic wraps quivers and stabilizers, but other than that I can't think of one good reason to make a "high end" sight or rest out ofplastic or to use plastic components.

[/align]
I agree.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are talking comparison, you need to ask a single simple question. I will use a sight as an example. What is the advantage of a particular part being plastic? Price should be the primary advantage of a plastic product. That's it..... If the price is the same as a metal alternative design, well, you've just realize who's making a larger profit margin!

Plastic is lighter than aluminum, but most designs that use plastic to replace a metal part are reinforced with additional material to meet the strength requirements. Again, in most applications, plastics are used to reduce cost - period!