Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Spikes...

Old 03-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tree Spikes...

I don't think it's a big problem either. However, if you leave them in the tree long enough it will start to grow around.

I've hunted on ground before where a tree grew 'around' a 3 strand barbwire fence.....all 3 strands were running straight through the tree.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 AM

Surf 62 you guys don't have it to bad down there Bigger linesiders and a sick Albie run. I only managed 1 albie inshore this year over towards the Vineyard. The Bonito were good to me though.

I here you about the mills hitting metal. I never was a sawyer but spent some time on the green chain sorting and stacking.

Early in You're right on about metal killing trees, I'm sure you've cabled plenty of crotches in your 27 years. It's amazing how the bolts disappear in a few years
Old 03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Ken the grass is always greenerthey say. You have it pretty good up that way as wellplusI hear those small blue fins get pretty close.No Albies from shore for me but off the kayak the last 2 seasons have been a blast. They give a pretty good sleigh ride. woo hoo

Paul
Old 03-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the replies guys! I have a great maple that I have to hang like 4 Lone Wolf Sticks to get in the spot, a ladder won't work either! I think I'll use the Spikes and leave them in so I don't keep putting holes in the tree! I'll just have to check them every time I go up them!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

BowHuntingFool, I just remembered, on one occasion we had a productive stand on a flat along a ridge that was productive. After finding a freeloader/tresspasser in the stand a few times I removed the spikes from the first 15 feet of the tree about 1/2 the climb. I drilled holes instead just a bit larger than the diameter of a 12" or 14" RxR spike thenhid them close but not too close to the tree. On each visit they where removed on they way down and placed back in hiding. Eachyear while checking the standthe holes wherere-drilled andeverything wasready for the season. I never did find that guy in the stand again but he still hunted in the area, too lazy I guess.

Paul