Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So I wrecked my new string

Old 03-19-2007, 07:50 AM

Default So I wrecked my new string

I just got a new vapor trail string put on my bow, took two shots, and while adjusting/moving the peep, gouge my string and wrecked it.[&o] I am a little pissed about that. Anyone got any comments on my boneheaded play?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: So I wrecked my new string

Ouch! why were u moving the peep??
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Hoytteen

Ouch! why were u moving the peep??
More importantly, HOW were you moving the peep? Me thinks a bow press and peep tool werent being used?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am a little pissed about that. Anyone got any comments on my boneheaded play?
Are you just asking for insult to be added to injury? [8D]

Sorry man... I was afraid of doing the same thing last night; I was putting new center serving on, and my little splitter tool didn't want to go into the string very easily. It was added hassle, but I put it on my press to put some slack into the string before splitting it to start the serving.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Same question as Campo. How were you moving the peep,lol?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

At least you know enough not to keep shooting!!! dont be dangerous and more stupid and attempt to shoot.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Yeah I knew as soon as I had gouged the string that it was a no go on any further shooting. I wanted to move the peep as it had been put in way off and wanted to bring it down. I had been shown, by a guy at Sportsmans Warehouse, how to move the serving and peep, by using the flat handle part of a medical bandage scissors. Seemed to make sense to me after he demosntrated it. I initially got it to move without a problem, but in trying to get it to move a little farther, I gouged it. Yes I can say that I was stupid. I am still very much a newby when it comes to bows, so should have taken more care. I guess the cost of another string will have to teach me a lesson. [&o]
Old 03-19-2007, 09:22 AM

Ive heard shady things about SW. I cant believe they told you to use a SCISSOR to spread your strands for a peep. They should have just sold you the tool, which is cheap.
Really stinks to hear about that man, but sometimes the most costly lessons are the ones that really stick.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Campo

Ive heard shady things about SW. I cant believe they told you to use a SCISSOR to spread your strands for a peep. They should have just sold you the tool, which is cheap.
Really stinks to hear about that man, but sometimes the most costly lessons are the ones that really stick.
I was not shown to spread the string with the scissors, but shown how to move the serving above and below the peep in order to make it possible to move the peep. I will be sure to have the right equipment next time. I agree that I have learned by this and will not make the same dumb mistake again; I will likely make an entirely different dumb mistake.