Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

6 weeks until back fusion

Old 03-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Spike

Default 6 weeks until back fusion

got the news today and I am a little scared. Built new homes till 2 years ago , went to work in a lumber yard and messed my back up. Now don't know what I will be doing the rest of my life. Going to fuse the L5- S1 for sure and maybe the L4-L5. No lifting the rest of my life because the two disc above these are also bad but cause no pain YET. Said recovery time would be 4-6 months that would put me at the rut. Oh well I am only 38 I will find something to do
Old 03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 6 weeks until back fusion

Wow Byrd ..... keep us posted with your progress ...I'll pray for your operation and quick healing ...
Old 03-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Me to.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:24 PM

Me three.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear that. I have what is called spondelathiesis(sp) where my spine had slipped foward about 30% off my tail bone pinching my nerves.It is stable but afraid it maybe getting worse with age? I had a few back injection a couple years ago. Seems to be acting up again..[:@] I think I too will need a fusion later down the road. Should get it done now while still young enough to recoop! BACK PAIN SUCKS!!!!!
Good luck with you surgery and recovery! Hopefully you can get out and tag one this year!
Crutch
Old 03-15-2007, 07:08 PM

Crutch, be careful with your spondelolisthesis. Make sure to get it checked if you're having symptoms again. If you wait too long, it can slip farther and make it much harder to repair properly and re-gain full function.

Byrd,
You'll be pretty limited on lifting, however I wouldn't think that hunting would be out of the question, especially if you have a son who can drag your deer out of the woods! Otherwise, its a good reason to get a 4-wheeler.

4-6 month recovery post-fusion is until you're fully back. You should be able to walk around in the woods albeit gingerly in about 3 months. Whatever you do. don't puch it. Let your orthopedist and your back tell you what you can and can't do. In the immediate post-op period, trying to do too much too soon can cause major issues and delay healing and recovery a great deal.

Best wishes for your surgery and a speedy and successful recovery!

Also, be sure to do what your Physical Therapist tells you to do. They can be the key to your recovery and functional capacity.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know exactly what you are going through.

Ihad spinal fusion of l4-s1 still have the 6 screws and rods in my back.

The best thing I can advise you is to do plenty of walking and swimming and not only while you are healing but the rest of your life.

I still walk 5 miles everyday and am able to go to the gym atleast 4 times a week.

If you do it right it should not effect you at all, my current job is physcial and I have no adverse effects from my back.

What happens from here on in is up to you and like I said if you do it right you will be able to lead a good activelife.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Spike

Thanks guys for the good wishes. I am going to do what the therapist says. It is really depressing right now because I am limited in what I feel like doing and my boy is 13 and ready to conquer the world and I want to do it with him.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't worry about the rut, that will always be, just get better!!!!! Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:24 AM

That doesnt mean no archery, does it?
If you can still draw back a bow, it sounds like it is high time for someone to open an archery shop.
Nothing wrong with a career there.

Quick Reply: 6 weeks until back fusion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.