Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

6 weeks until back fusion

Old 03-16-2007, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 6 weeks until back fusion

I have cages at L5-S1 so I know what you'll be going through, my thought will be with you.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:53 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Byrd,don't fret. I'm similar to Ausie-guy and he is right. I had spondo.....also and in 2000 had L-3/L-4 fused. took all the old stuff out and put in what they call a cage then rods and screws to hold it all together. It's pretty neat to see peoples reaction when they don't believe you and you show them the x-rays (we're talking some good size hardware that they use). The worst part was learning/forcing yourself to roll out of the bed the first few times and get walking around the hallsbut after that you'll bounce back quicker than you think. (Now I'm not saying your not gonna feel a thing but it's bearable). Someone said 4-6 months was total recovery and they are correct, I was back in gym in probably 6weeks (Dr. will tell you what you can and can't do and you might listen and you might not, LOL). I run at least 4 times a week, still hit the gym and work in a warehouse with plenty of lifting. You'll do just fine and be backout with your son in no time.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Byrd,

I am like the other guys above. My back is plated andfused from T-7 to T-11.

Walking is the best therapy for me and has been since I got out ofsurgery. I had to give up some contact high impact sports like tackle football, water skiing,rugby and what not, heavy weight training ( I used to power lift) etc.. but I can still work out as long as I don'tperform lifts that compress my vertebrae. I have a 6 inch titanium plate and 5 screws holding me together. Great looking Xrays and a 13 inchinscision to be proud of!

As for bowhunting, it never slowed me down one bit. I wont lie, my back hurts some everyday, but I am careful in how I lift things, (using my legs) and have been able to survive on as little of medicine as possible. Massage is by far the best pain reliever for the consistent back spasms I get.I had the option to take all kinds of pain pills, I refused to go there. At my age when I did this (29) I was leary of becoming reliant on pain meds. Listen to your back it will tell you when you need to rest it.

I still work as a logger in the summers outside of my teaching job. Logging is physical work at its best. I do wear a back support both while working and often while hunting, especially if I have to sit a long time in a stand. Static compression bothers me the most.

Best of luck, work hard in your rehab and stay motivated to get better. My neuro surgeon told me it would take me 5 years minimum to start feeling normal...He was right. 9 years now after my accident, I feel pretty decent. I could use to lose 10 morelbs other than that I am pretty fit and rarely does anyone know that I have a 20% rated disability.

Good luck.

Troy
Old 03-16-2007, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Don't worry about the rut, that will always be, just get better!!!!! Good luck and keep us posted!

ditto!!! andgood luck. our thoughts and prayers are with you !
Old 03-16-2007, 06:19 PM

SORRY TO HEAR THAT! GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

best of luck to you and your upcoming recovery, I am sure you will pull through just fine.

Shane
Old 03-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Byrd,
I know what your going through asI am just 2 weeks out of surgery myself for a double discectomy (lanced 2herniateddisks that buldged and leaked)and a 4 level lamonectomy (cut and opened up4 vertebre to relieve the pressure on my nerves) All this was lumbar.I have a diesese called juvenile spinal stenosis. One thing I can tell you is DO NOT RELY ON ONE OPINION, asI got 2 different opinions from 3 different doctors. I stayed away from the doctors that weren't up on the new procedures and also wentwith the best of the best. I looked at whosat on the boards of certain spine institutes as well as those surgeonswho wrote books, pionered certain new procedures, won nationalawards,called references ect ect ect...... I went with a doctor that was recommended by my daughters spine surgeon from Children's hospital in Philadelphia. He was one of sixsurgeons that pioneredin the womb surgery fornot yetborn childrenwith spina bifida. He operated on my daughter at 4 months old for spina bifida so I took his recommendation seriously. The place i went was called the Rothman institute inPhilly and theywork out of Thomas Jefferson University hosipital right across the street. I went to doctors who also wanted to fuse mebut my guy told me NO WAY why fuse when your spine in straight? Fusing is old technology and from what he told me installing hardware in your backcan add a new level of uncertainty after the fact. Not to say he doesn't do it but he is causious about doing so. But then again your situation my be different. I also have to thank my wife for her help too as she is a workers comp claims adjuster and knew the ropes and medical terminology. I aggervated it in work but knew the road that led me dealing with some (not all)second rate workers comp doctors thanks to my wife just telling me to go it though my regular benefits I chose who I WANTED TO GO TO.I had always had a bad back (I'm 35) from the time I was in grade school and have cried myself to sleep in painso many nights for so many yearsI don't care to remember. I also refused pain meds other than Advil. The final straw for me was not being able to urinate and having my left leg go 100% dead before I said enough is enough. Take care of yourself and try not to get to upset over it. Oh, as for me and how I feel after surgery? I am 10000000000% better, noback pain, no leg pain no muscle pain, nothing natta zip and get this no pain killers. Yep didn't need them, the pain after the surgerydidn't even come close to the pain I had went though on a daily basis. I see your from Ohio so your close (within a days drive to Philly). Here is a link to the place where I went. I roomed with a guy from Virginia so people come from all over the county. His name in Dr. Todd Alberthttp://www.rothmaninstitute.com/
I also don't know if you went though Workers comp or what your lawsare pertaining on who you can and can't see out of network. Not tobe to tasteless but here is a picture on my scare after i took the badage off last weak (sorry if it grossed some of youout)

Old 03-17-2007, 01:52 PM

Good luck and you will be back in the woods flinging sharp sticks at deer.
My dad had to bad knees and could not make it into woods but know people how would carry him out to hunt with me. Your not to far from me and I have strong shoulders and back. So next fall if you need a hand getting out I will be there to help.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:06 PM

Guess there are a lot of us SPINIES around here. Had l4-l5 fusion and a re-do laminectomy on 2-22-07. 33 staples closed up the GASH. Have been shooting my bow daily already and am ready for spring gobblers. Have had 3 previous spine sugeries. Last Aug. had 2 level cervical fusion and prior to that a discectomy and prior to that 2 laminectomies and discectomy. Never missed a day of hunting due to any of these so take care of yourself and keep the mental attitude sharp. Hardware for cervical was $13,000.00 and for this lumbar fusion, $28,000.00. Lots of new bows, rifles,etc. in there somewhere. Blessings, Jim
Old 03-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Spike

great bunch of guys on here. Thanks for thinking and praying for me.

Quick Reply: 6 weeks until back fusion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.