Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question RE: Carbon Clothing

Old 03-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question RE: Carbon Clothing

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I REALLY appreciate the answers so far.....I really think this is spot-on.

It's kinda like a watch. If a guy wants to spend the extra money on a Cartier.....when a waterproof Timex will tell time just as well........where's the rub?Should it matter to anyone else whether or not the guy "bought into" the claims thatthey're "better" timepieces? If it's not YOUR money.......why do you care?If there's a claim that the expensive watch keeps time a nano-second more accurate......and the person footing the bill believes in the timepiece.....and has a pride in ownership.......where's the rub?

I just wonder wonder why people care???????

If someone came in here and said all you have to do is put these garment son.......you can store them in the dog's house until you're ready to use them......and you'll NEVER have to worry about scent control again.......I see the need to help out a fellow board member by informing them. But I think we're ALL a little smarter than THAT, here.....and I don't think that's what is going on. Hence my thread.

Have a good evening.
GMMAT,
For me it is (what is going on here). I don't care what people spend money on. My intentions are good ones, at least on this topic.
Even though I’m not poverty stricken, being the sole provider for six people takes its toll on the amount of time I have to review products as well as the money that I have to spend on them. I think that being able to get other hunters opinions on products is one of the most useful tools this site has to offer.
Fact – marketing plays up effectiveness on any and all products, and seems to forget to include the not so great aspects of their products. Not so great aspects can be really important when choosing a product, so if approximately 50% of the hunters here don’t feel that it is worth the money, I’m going to listen. No one else has to obviously. Further, if I have taken the time to investigate something and can save someone else some time by sharing info, I will. I’d also share that I’ve bought some crap. We all have. Why? Marketing!
To me, this is the “snake oil/health tonic” thing, I’d like others to know that I think this way, just as I’d like to know what their feeling are if I were thinking of buying it.

Again – They sell carbon spray in a bottle! Why buy special clothes to reactivate, when you can simply wash the old carbon off and spray the new carbon on? I think that is a pretty useful tip, so I thought I’d share…

Old 03-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair enough, Killer.......but I won't say you got "duped" into buying a Hoyt or a Mathews. I won't claim you bought "snake oil" when you bought a LW stand.

You chose a product that I don't believe in (for whatever reason). Why can't this (and other similar discussions) leave it at that.....without someone slamming someone for buying the product? Would you call me crazy if I said I had a Cartier watch (I don't)? It's hyped to keep better time than your Citizen. Maybe I bought into it......and AT THE LEAST.....it's a good timepiece.

I hope you can see the correlation.

It's camo, guys.....and if you shop well....you won't pay NEARLY what the price tag says. I paid less fro my Road Trips jacket than I did for my Enigma jacket. If it aids me ONE IOTA in my pursuits........cool. If it doesn't........hey.....it's STILL good camo.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed. I too have noticed that there seems to almost be a level of anger associated with this topic, which is kind of strange.

If I needed new camo and I liked the clothing in question better, simply as clothing, I would probably spend the money on them. I've found that secondary features play a pretty heavy role in my purchases. For instance, I'm looking to reduce the weight in my pack. Weight will now become one of the primary factors for each purchase. Quality and features may be sacrificed in doing so. To some, I may be buying junk if I were to announce what I was planning to obtain, but not explain why. But this junk (and it very well may be) is a better fit for me and how I plan to use it.

Respectfully,

KP
Old 03-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Bartender

Alright I take back my resignation.
ORIGINAL: aeroslinger

C'mon, Peak. These threads may be pointless but they're great for post count.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I am NOT starting this thread to argue with anyone. I think it's a legitimate question. Let's discuss why this keeps coming up.
Reason 1. An attempt by a clothing manufacturer to drumb up business.
Reason 2. A low self esteem.