Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The ones that seem to vanish pre-season (pics)

Old 03-13-2007, 03:59 PM

Default RE: The ones that seem to vanish pre-season (pics)

I think a lot of times an individual deer is way over pursued, sending him nocturnal.

How many times have you heard of a farmer seeing a big buck during harvest, than one hunter seeing him early season, and then every guy hunting the property is hanging stands right on top of where the deer was last spotted, paying little attention to winds, overhuntingor entry/exit routes, only to have the same deer livethrough year, or to never be seen again? Judgment gets clouded when a big deer is spotted multiple times, whether it be in person or on camera.

My theory when in a situation as originally described: stick to your gameplan that you had set up before season started, hunt the stands you hung before seeing Mr. big, and if it happens, it happens. To many mistakes are made by hunters trying too hard.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

this one vanished to my neighbors wall......

Old 03-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know how you feel. This one vanished 2 years in a row.... Luckily I was able to find his shed antlers though

Old 03-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

That thing is a HOG!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that's a huge daddy. You said you have both sheds. How many inches of bone was on his head???...Had to be 170" or better.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM

it looks like that coon is askin for forgiveness for eatin his corn
Old 03-13-2007, 04:53 PM

Yep, same buck has eluded me the past 3 years. In 04 he was a really nice 2-1/2 year old8 point that I may have passed up if I had actually got a chance at him. I had started seeing him in mid-June that season but I was really after a non-typical 12 point that he was running with. I saw this deer clean up till about 2 weeks before archery season and then he disappeared.
The buck re-appeared at my feeder in January of 2005 and I got alot of pics of him until he shed his antlers. I hunted his sheds that season but never found them.
Fast-forward to early June of 2005. My grandfather told me that while getting his gear out of the shed for his fishing trip to Canada he saw a really wide buck in the backyard. I put the camera out and started getting pictures of him...

As the summer rolled on I watched this deer come out every evening and I watched him grow from the wide 8 point into a really nice 10 point.

Right around when the bucks started to shed their velvet this big boy disappeared on me again. I kept my game cameras running throughout archery season and never got a picture of him and I never saw him. Rifle season started up and my cameras were still out without any pictures of him. The last week of rifle season I saw a buck that might have been this guy but it was hard to tell as the buck was running through a patch of x-mas trees in between my buddy and I. I just caught a glimpse of antlers and they appeared to be this buck's but I can't be sure. Rifle season ended and late archery season opened. Game cameras were still out and still no pics of this buck. I kept the cameras out all spring and never saw the buck.
Fast forward to summer of 2006. I set out the game cameras overlooking my feeder and hoped for the best. I was getting pictures of deer but not this guy. My heart kept sinking a little more each day that I didn't see him and thoughts of him getting hit by a car were running through my head. Finally I checked my camera and got a picture of him. He looked alot like he did the previous yearbut a good bitbigger than he was at the same time last year.

Yet again, he disappeared from the camera and my nerves kept getting worked up. Finally almost two monthslater he showed up again and I noticed that he was starting to grow some junk on his left side.

After this picture he disappeared again. I started scouting him pretty hard and while watching a soybean field I got a glimpse behind me and there he was with a bunch of other bucks. They walked across a dirt road and disappeared. I finally decided to set the camera up in the little soybean field that the trail they walked on led to and sure enough I started getting pictures of him and all of his friends.

I kept the camera in this area and pulled it after a week or so as not to spook this buck. I was getting pictures of him moving throughout the day and didn't want to change that. I took my camera and moved it about 3/4 miles away to a different patch of woods. After awhile I checked the camera and got pics of the big guy in this area which was actually a much better area for me as it is my "honey hole" that only my best-friend and I have permission to hunt and I know these woods like the back of my hand.

After I got these pics he disappeared again. I kept the cameras out and never got him on camera again. Archery season started up and the cameras were out without a picture or a sighting of him. Finally towards the end of October I saw this buck. Hecame out on a trail about 15 yards from my hang on stand and stood there, the only problem is that I was in my climber about 80 yards from him and he never came in. This was my last sighting of him and I kept my cameras out throughout rifle season and they are still out right now. I talked to my neighbor awhile back and he told me that he had seen the big buck behind his house after rifle season so he is still running around. I finally went out shed-hunting in his turf today but didn't find any sheds let alone his. Next season is it, I am done playing the cat and mouse game and next season he is going to fall to my arrow.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 PM

nice pics
Old 03-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I remember alot of those bucks from past pics, they are amazing!!
looks like im not the only one with the dissapering buckproblem. Thanks for easing the pain boys!!
and speaking of sheds. Tuesday morning after coming home from work, i was pulling the driveway and noticed 6 deer just outside the woodline. Being just after daylight i wanted a better look so i ran upstairs to my sons room and had a look thru his spotting scope. I was a bit surprised, one was a 130" buck sporting both sides yet. I had actually looked for this bucks sheds but had no idea he would still be wearing them. Guess i will give him a couple more weeks.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:51 AM
Dominant Buck

DISCLAIMER: The deer around me aren't that big.....but everything's "relative", I guess.

This is a deer that I never saw....all season.....although I had MANY trail cam photos of him. It'll be interesting to see if he shows back up in the Summer.

Quick Reply: The ones that seem to vanish pre-season (pics)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.