Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

exact yardage need your opinion

Old 03-11-2007, 02:31 PM

Default exact yardage need your opinion

need your opinions on an idea,Great for youths and yes evan you long time archery hunters,simple to use just fasten strap with attached swivel snap hook to base of your practice tree, in wich your stand is located,connect loop end of exact-yardage tape to snap hook. useing the standard sight pin color coded stake markers green,red and yellow measure and stake out your desired yardages. exact-yardage is hand stamped from 1 to 33 yards.Practice from your tree stand and adjust your sight pins to each of your yardage locations.Now you are ready to use exact- yardage at your hunting locations,just follow above directions from the base of your tree in wich your stand is located measure out your yardgae locations in your shooting lanes along with the stake markers i have color coded rolled flagging (150 ft.each ) that you can mark out your yardages by tieing off to brush,tree branches ect.If you practice and use this system it will build up your confidence and you can and will make the kill shot. (let me know what you think thanks)

Old 03-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: exact yardage need your opinion

I've done the flagging tape thing since I picked up a bow, I pace off to what ever distance my pins are set for, and tie a small piece of the corresponding colour flagging tape to a branch. It works great, but I'm not sure how marketable the idea is, just too easy to do it yourself without buying a kit.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:28 PM

It is a good idea but very easy and cheap to reproduce for the consumer.

I use tissues tied with curtain chord and hung from branches. This way I can tell the yardage, the wind and I can put scent on them if I need to.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like a lot of trouble for no more than it does. Pretty sure wouldn't be needing the "hand stamped exact-yardage" from 1 to 10 yards. I have to place my targets so I just walk it off, 3' per step, close enough. My guess is that stuff would be a hard sell. Unless of course, you made it in camo and put some carbon in it.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

I step off 20 yrdsfrom the bottom of my stand and tie the orange tape off. I do this in about 5 locations surrounding my stand. I shoot a cobra single pin and from that point I'm good to go!
crutch
Old 03-11-2007, 08:02 PM

Good idea sorry but most bowhunters have found ways to mark there yardage. I use old 35mm film cans mark with a mark of floresent paint also stuff with foam so I can add scent if needed.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

I think leaving fluoro tape/markers out around your stand/hunting area may be more trouble than it's worth. Makes it pretty easy for lowlives to find your hunting stuff (stand, camera, etc). Just my $0.02
Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I applaud yourspirit, White Tale, but keep thinking.. that's not gonna make you a million.

Most would make it themselves even if they thought the idea was good.

Keep trying though..... don't let us squash your ingenuity.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

If you are going to hang all those yardage markers , make sure you wear gloves so you don't leave your scent all over the area . It's not a bad idea . I hang about 3 scent wicks and pace off the distance to the stand so I can use them for attractant plus distance .
Old 03-13-2007, 09:17 PM

I just use rocks and mark hate plastic garbage laying around

IM JUST STILL IN THE !*TH CENTURY