Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

can calls

Old 03-09-2007, 06:27 PM

Default can calls

what kind of results have you gotten from using a can call(estrous bleat)? Also when on stand how often do you use it and what time of year? I hunt in northern wisconsin and have been afraid to use it before november.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:38 PM

Default RE: can calls

i use mine with ok results. i call in a spike last year and miss and did the can and he came running back to me. i think i call in a doe and a fawn with it in middle october.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot a couple nice deer using them. Just depends what kind of mood they are in. I shot a eight last year that came into the doe bleat. If I see a deer and it don't seem to be coming my way, I will bleat once. Then just watch it to see how it reacts. This year I had a small buck feeding about50 yrds out. I used the grunt and it just kept feeing and drifting my way. It was getting dark fast, so I hit the doe bleat and it was gonebefore the bleatsound stopped.I never use it when the deer in looking in my direction.I use the doe bleat in early season. When the rut hit I use estrous and some times just the bleat. Just don't want to over use them.
crutch
Old 03-09-2007, 06:59 PM

I had a doe and faww come into it a few times but never close enough. I also had a 6 come running into to it in November. He was small but he came within 10 feet of my stand. I will use it again this year. I think i used it every half hour or so.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

The largest buck I have shot responded to the Primos Can one chilly November morning...
Old 03-09-2007, 07:10 PM

They work if ya can't do it by mouth!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:16 PM

They work well and if they don't respond (come toward you) I've never had a deer spoked by one.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The non typical I killed (15yrds) this past Nov in Pa responded to my Primos "Can". I have had rather good success withit over all. Sounds very real!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never had the thing work for me. I hafta say though, when I know a deer is going to pass my stand, I don't make any calls. When I see them out of range and they do not look like they will pass my stand, I either grunt or use the can. Ive had the grunt work, but the can never has for me. Too many people say they work though, so I won't give up on it.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only use the Can during the rut.

Quick Reply: can calls

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.