Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Double Standard?

Old 03-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Double Standard?

There was an interesting thread a couple of days ago in reference to "Your Max Range on Game". And then I sawa different threadabout how far would you shoot at a squirrel. This got me thinking(probably not good).
In the interest of not hijacking that thread I took my post from the squirrel thread and pasted it here.

This makes me think about that other thread that was up here a few days ago about "your max range" on a game animal. It's funny how different gameanimals get treated with different levels of respect. The much admired whitetail deer would hardly get shot at past 30 yds (according to many of the replies on that thread) but if it is a squirrel, Fire At Will!! Certainly if you put a post that said you shot at a deer over a bet you would get burned at the stake, but those pesky squirrels, who cares. Don't get me wrong, to each their own, as far as shot selection on whatever game you choose to hunt. I justnever understand how people almost worship the whitetail and have all these posts about how they wouldn't shoot past certain distances or take certain shotsbecause they haveso much respect for the deer("I have so much respect for you oh majestic whitetail that I want to kill you and eat you). Is there a double standardin regards to respect ofgame animalsor am I just reading into this too much?
If you read both threads (or if you didn't) what do you think about perceptions of different game animals and how it effects our choices when hunting them. Not an attack on anyone, just curious.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Double Standard?

Just people talking over the net. Don't take things too seriously when it comes to this kind of talk.

Good time for personal reflection.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive got to agree with you on this one. I didnt think about it at all. I didnt respond to either thread about distance, ive never shot at a squirrel, but i would, but i dont see myself shooting at it any farther than i would for a deer. Actually thinking about it now, i think i would only shoot at a squirrel if it was close cause its so much smaller. I understand that people get caught up with how far an animal is cause they want to kill it quickly and humanly, but my question is- How do people critisize others for how far they can shoot. A bow is a deadly weapon, some archers would have no problem shooting at 60 yards or so. I wont shoot that cause im not good enough, but if i could hit the target consistently at that range, then if the perfect opportunity came in the field, i would let it fly.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

To me it makes a difference, the rodent types (possums, squirels, sparows, armadillos, ect.) I would take a crack shot at them because I did not have to pay for a tag, there is no season (in KS) and I do not plan on eating them. And it makes for great practice and nobody is going to miss them. Now for a deer or a turkey (all I hunt with a bow) I like to be more percise about my shot placement beause I want to take them home with me. In order for me to be more percise with my shot I try to be in around 30 yards or closer. There is a greater chance of wounding a bigger animal then a smaller one. I have never shot a rodent and not got a kill (missed several) the ones I have hit don't get wounded and run off. JMO
Old 03-09-2007, 10:48 AM

I can not bring myself to read those kind of threads after reading the one on longrange rifle shots ,I was going to ask some of them would they shoot a coyote that was carringtheir pet away at 400 yards or do they have to much respect for the animal to take a chance of wounding it.

[/align]
Old 03-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibsonhoyt

To me it makes a difference, the rodent types (possums, squirels, sparows, armadillos, ect.) I would take a crack shot at them because I did not have to pay for a tag, there is no season (in KS) and I do not plan on eating them. And it makes for great practice and nobody is going to miss them. Now for a deer or a turkey (all I hunt with a bow) I like to be more percise about my shot placement beause I want to take them home with me. In order for me to be more percise with my shot I try to be in around 30 yards or closer. There is a greater chance of wounding a bigger animal then a smaller one. I have never shot a rodent and not got a kill (missed several) the ones I have hit don't get wounded and run off. JMO
Good points.Some of the areas I hunt deer are not looked upon highly because of the massive amounts of crop damage and they are almost considered nuisance.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow – aren’t we profound today. I can only answer for me, obviously.

To me there is a double standard, and that is perfectly fine. In fact it is much more than a double standard, it is more of a sliding scale. Meaning, on one end of the scale there are creatures on this planet who are very dear to me. I would die a miserable death to protect them, without hesitation, and so would you. On the other end of the scale there are creatures that you would go out of your way to kill and be happy that you did so, even when you could have released them. Black widow spider in your yard shoes maybe? This creature doesn’t make it very far up on the “respect” scale, if you will.
I respect the white tail deer, it is closer to the opposite end of this scale. It has a very rigid set of tuned skills it uses to detect and avoid predators. I am a predator, so I can appreciate their dedication to not being killed, since I have failed many times in my life at attempting to do just that – kill them. It is nature in its finest hour so to speak. They represent me being able to meet my goals, and set goals as far as hunting is concerned. The mature buck is one of the most elusive animals on the planet. I respect that, but I must challenge myself to find them, chase them down and kill them, but I do so respectfully.
But a squirrel (to me) is a tree rat, nothing more, nothing less. I don’t kill them for no reason, and since I don’t eat them, I don’t hunt them. But, on occasion, one of those little fellows likes to let the woods know that I’m there and chatter at me. This is the very reason that I carry at least one extra arrow (that I don’t care so much about) with me. I have planned on seeing him there, and I’m planning to kill him. I’m not going to eat him, I’m not going to tan his hide, and I probably won’t even retrieve my “extra” arrow if it hits a tree. He will be left to die. His mistake – chattering at me, the killer, who is hiding and sneaking, for the sole purpose of killing.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:33 PM

I see what your talking about. I havea buddy that shoots at anything that walks past his stand. Squirrels, bunnies, coons, it doesn't matter. But his standards on a buck he will shoot at are very rigid. I don't shoot at anything besides deer with my bow and even then I know my maximums.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had to look up profound but I liked your post KP, that is probably how a lot of people feel.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 PM

I'm curious why it matters how far you can or would be willing to shoot an animal. If were talking about tuning a bow at 60 or 80 yards that may be important. Not how far we shoot at animals, it seems to me like a peeing contest. I CAN SHOOT DEER AT150YARDS WITH MY BOW, WOO-HOO. I read both posts and responded to the first one that came up. I guess know one seen my point. I think there is no difference in shooting a squirl or a deer, it is up to us to be responsible and make the ethical shot. Sorry if I step on anyones toes, it's only my opinion.

Quick Reply: Double Standard?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.