Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Banned

Default Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

I watchedAmerican %^^*#with Tom$$&&^several weeks agoand itwas nothing but an infomercial for carbon clothing. The entire episode was this carbon clothing sponsor basically telling me as a viewer that if I didn't use the product I wasn't a great hunter. There was no hunting on the show, just a commercial for thiscarbon clothing. Another carbon clothing manufacturer tells me to "Forget the wind, just hunt".There are other snake oils out there, but with all of the scientificinformation about carbon clothing and how it can't be reactivated in a home dryer, this is the biggest one that I can think of.I have read and researched this product and have seen nothing provided from the manufacturer to PROVE that it works. Believe me, I just placed a $500 order for camo clothing through Gray Wolf Woolens for myself and own two $1000 bow setups, two $400 Double Bullblinds, and hunt with Lone Wolf Treestands and climbing sticks.I buy the most expensive and BEST equipment that is on the market. I am simply showing that I will spend the money for a product if I can be shown that it is proven to work. Carbon clothing has to be shown through science and science proves it can't work. Treestands, camo, safety harnasses, bows, andbroadheads are all proven products that we KNOW work. It is up to us to choose which one we like. Does it make you not to want a show when you see ridiculous products for sale on a hunting show that are designed to take advantage of a new or young bowhunter or do you just accept it as a way for the show to pay its' bills? I won't watch this show I speak of any more because of their "sellout" in my eyes. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

To be honest I just don't respect most hunting shows.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

To be honest I just don't respect most hunting shows.
Me either....

Most all of them promote products I don't have any faith in......and I always figured if the other guy was hunting with inferior products......that leaves more for me. I have to ask, though.......if you think the products being endorsed don't work.....why would it bother you if someone else bought it? The product.....when you get right down to it.....is a camouflage garment. Camouflage garments (I think we can all agree)....."work". How do they not "work"?(which is the premise for the original post)
Old 03-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Will your show be promoting the things that you feel work or who will sponser you?

Let's say Summitt wants to sponser you and you can't get Lone wolf you going to turn them dowm.

I've seen hosts shooting the best bow one year and then the best bow the next year but all the sudden it's a different brand.

Hunting shows are a buisness.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Hardcore,
The only test I saw that made me think this stuff works is when I put the material over an open bottle of perfume. You couldn't smell the perfume through the carbon. Now would it still do that after it needed to be reactivated in your home dryer? That I don't know for sure.

MC
Old 03-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most of the time when I watch them. It's cuz I got the itch to hunt and can't. Maybe the season is closed or I have another obligation that keeps me home. Whatever the reason I'm not out there I watch to be involved in hunting and fueling the fire so when I do get to hunt. The shows (some) are entertainment and that's about it. Unless it's a show that has some portion of tech tips, I rarely "learn" anything that is practical to me. These are 99% outfitted hunts...and while that doesn't make them a slam dunk, it's a heck of a lot higher success ratio than I have in my hunts. I like to watch the arrow impacts and deer reaction.
All these shows are a commercial for something. To say I won't watch a show because of a camo pattern or because they are a Mathews sponser and I shoot XXXX brand, or the grunt call is different from mine is ludacris.
Your snake oil may be something the next guy won't go into the woods without. I wear some level of scent protection everytime I go into the bush. I believe in it, andit gives me confidence. I see deer and don't get winded..something I do works! Not because, so and so claims it does, but because the deer I have close contact with prove it! Maybe it's the carbon or the soap or the spray or the occasional deer dander or how I store my clothes..who knows and on my levelI don't care to argue your science over my science in the field.

So in summary..no I don't watch shows based on products, I watch based on entertainment.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

There are thousands of turkeys taken in blinds that aren't DB's every year.....yet DB's (Yes, I own one) are touted as the cat's meow among blinds. Do the other products work? Yes.

There's a contingency that believes in carbon clothing. Let's just assume it DOESN'T have scent containment capabilities......it's STILL camouflage....and at its' WORST.....it's no worse than regular camouflage. Then we're down to price (which is where this ends up every time, anyways).

If one doesn't want to pay the price for the garment.....that's one thing. But.....it's camo. Camo works. It's high-priced camo. Isn't that the bottom line?

If I like a show.....I'll watch it....regardless of what they're pushing. Heck....Michael Waddell shoots a Hoyt!....
Old 03-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Spike

I understand your thoughts on hunting shows as an infomercial sometimes it can seem that way. It is the way things are when you sign a contract with a sponsor. It is a fine line when you do television, we do it on a smaller scale but it is the same. In order for us to pay for the air time we have to be sales men for there product it is the way our contract reads. But, on the other side of that we will not indorse or use something we do not believe in no matter how much money is offered. We don’t do this for a living; it is something we do on the side, so we have the option on whom or what we use. The format for most shows is the same. We are trying to show how the average guy hunts without a bottomless bank account! But, mostly we just try to have fun and be entertaining.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why did you watch it? Turn the thing off. It's poison!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I stopped watching hunting shows and dvd's years ago--they just don't interest me

Quick Reply: Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.