Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

Old 03-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

Default RE: Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Wow still going strong 8 pages later. Some like it and believe in it, some don't. All you're nay-saying and all of someone elses praises are not going to change an individuals perception. You guys talk price..I get my Scent-lok stuff on sale after the season and pay much less than you do forone Gray-wolf or Enigma coat alone! I just picked up another Jacket for 39$. Spend your money on what you can justify and I'll do the same... One thing I've never bought and never will..is a DVD of someone else hunting. Why should I spend my money to furnish someone elses "outfitted" hunt?? Prove to me scientifically, how this will help me! Can't?? I cry SNAKE-OIL!!!
I willtell youhowDVD's help; I went on a self guided elk hunt and I had to learn how to do it, books don't cut it for everything as they have no sound and can't teach calls, calling sequences, setups, etc like a video can.I have a boy that at age 11 when he killed his 1st deer,knew more about deer hunting than I knew at age 25 and that most hunters will ever know,due to all of the informational DVD's I had him watch on hunting. To think thathunting DVDs can't help you become a better hunter is about as ridiculous as buying carbon clothing and actually believing that it can reactivated in a homeowners low temp dryer.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to beat a dead horse....but it's regeneration..not reactivation... big difference.. .... pass the popcorn..

Atlas were are you when I need ya!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Is a ghillie suit "snake oil"? How about leafy suits? What about the DB blind vs. the Outhouse?

I've given you three examples of types of hunter concelament.....or...camouflage. I think we'd all agree that they cost a little more. I think we'd all agree that they "work".

Why is it the "other guy" is getting "duped"......buying "snake oil".....or "paying too much"? He's buying a product that HE feels will help him in his aid to pursue whitetail deer (and other game animals). And, really.....if he's killing animals and getting close to them on a regular basis.....HOW can you say it doesn't "work"?

He also might just be killing more deer than you do.....so tread lightly lest you be accused of being "duped" by purchasing "your" favorite products.

Again....WHY DOSOME PEOPLE CARE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE USE.......ESPECIALLY IFTHEY FEEL IT TO BE "INFERIOR"? I'm baffled!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:10 AM

I thought this thread was about 'snake oils' and not about clothing. I figured everyone would be talking about all the different types of bottled attractants and junk like c'mere and deer caine. I tried this stuff this past season and the deer didnt even know it was there. I even poured a bunch on a pile of corn and they just walked on past it eating some other corn on the ground.

For clothing I'm usually in blue jeans and some layers on top usually ending up in a cut-off shirt by 10am. I have been winded when I goof up or the wind changes.

Is there a forum here that talks about the different types of equipment used to make hunting shows? My bro-in-law and I always film each other on a cheap little camcorder and getting something more professional would be nice to better preserve our hunts for our enjoyment later. We have some good times..

Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the deer cane, powder mixed with 7 gal of water ,from the river. Cleared a spot in the woods and poured it on. Two weeks later the resulting wallow looked like a bunch of pigs had gotten in there. It's really just a salt/mineral supplement and needs to be placed early enough to be used. If you try to use it close to or during the rut it will be ignored as the bucks are too busy with more important details of life!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

eric....

Talk about anything you want to!

There's a contingency here that would say the "buck growl" (and other similar devices) was "snake oil" (along with the attractants you mentioned....and MANY, MANY other products). Then....there are those who used the product(s) and took deer with them. Did that product cause them to be successful, that day? Who knows? But the bottom line is....they WERE/HAVE BEEN successful while utilizing that product. How could we say the buck growl doesn't work??? Why (if we're not using it) do we CARE?

Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

These are all tools which if used correctly can help you out.

Remember: If all you own is a hammer,everything looks like a nail!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a boy that at age 11 when he killed his 1st deer,knew more about deer hunting than I knew at age 25 and that most hunters will ever know,due to all of the informational DVD's I had him watch on hunting.
I can say the same thing about my son but he learned it from being in the woods going on blood trails, scouting,hanging stands etc with Dad. Turkey hunting we learned together watched a couple video's but the bulk of it was from scouting and actually doing it.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think most DVD's and video's I have seen are snake oil. Haven't really watched many instructional video's. You want to ruin hunting for a kid have him watch a ton of video's and then send him in the woods. When he doesn't see a big buck around every corner and finds out that the real woods aren't like the video's the will get discouraged.

Many of the bows on the market could also be considered snake oil. Yea this one is $300 moreyou can't kill Mongo with out it. It's "the best bow" blah, blah,blah.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:42 AM

nope ,,,if they had to hunt like real people ,like we do they would starve to death..

Quick Reply: Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.