Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

Old 03-09-2007, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Wildlife what show are you connected with?
I am wondering the same thing Wildlife...what show and sponsers do you represent?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Wildlife

It is up to you the viewer to tell them what you want! If you don’t like it you can turn it off. As for us (the guys trying to put on a good show) we have to listen or get out of the way and let someone who will put a show on that you the viewer want to watch on the air! It still comes down to who will pay for it the sponsors and the whole point of them advertising on your show is to sell more products! This is a very strange question will you watch a show with no advertising? Would you be willing to send them money to do so? I don’t think so, until there is a better way to pay for air time you have two choices; turn it off or watch and understand this is how we pay the bills!
Again I dont mind watching the shows and it doesn't bother me that they advertize but get real, most, not all the shows are 20 minutes of products and 10 minutes of actual hunting and usually a mention for the product in that. Only one show I can think of right now that lists sponsors at beggining and several times during the show, but most of the show is hunting not sponsor ads.

As for the listening to what veiwers want? Doesn't happen very often. I can write in or call in and say I want more and more of this or that and there is no dollar sign attached. The sponsor calls says, okay I will advertise for the whole year, however, this is how I want the show to go. Money vs no money..... guess who wins!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Spike

In responds to what show I am with “The Wildlife T.V. Show” it is a local cable show that runs on Insight cable in Columbus Ohio. We also trade footage with Big Horn Outdoors on MOR. I know that we are more of a local show but I have the same ideas as you when it comes to our show, we try to be as real as we can and just show what happened. We get people who write us or email us and say hey do a show on this or what kind on bow do you shoot or where do you hunt. So we try our best to give the viewers what they want. I was once told that for ever letter you get there are probable 1000 people that feel the same way but just don’t take the time to write. If you would like to learn more about us or Big Horn feel free to visit our websites www.thewildlifeonline.com or www.bighornoutdoors.com

Matt

Old 03-09-2007, 02:35 PM

In a way we do send money to watch these shows, we pay for the cable. What happens to our money from the provider to the network/hunting show. You have big shots lining there wallets I would imagine. Maybe they should go to a pay section of cable like Showtime, HBO, exc.

About the carbon clothing, I use baking soda and water then I store my cloths in a large bag with leafs and dirt waffers. Of course I still use old camo, Army cloths. I just recently bought a turkey outfit w/ leafs on it.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

same here, especialy tred barta. he just hunts fo rthe sake of killing and money for his show
Old 03-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

I am just so passionate about hunting that I have a problem with manufacturers ripping off fellow hunters. Provide me SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE of any product and I will be glad to buy it if it is going to help me gain an edge with a whitetail. It does not seem to be too much to ask for PROOF that carbon clothing can SCIENTIFICALLY work as manufacturers claim. I do not want testimonials, I want SCIENTIFIC PROOF. Carbon is a science so PROVE it to me through science. I feel that young and novice hunters feel that just because these "hunting stars" are promoting these carbon products or other snake oils on TV that they are taking advantage of the inexperienced and novice hunter. The carbon experts tell me that a household dryer can not possibly reach the needed temperature to reactivate the clothing or the clothing would burn or melt. Why can't the carbon clothing manufacturers come out and provide proof that the namesayers are wrong? Hunting boots even have this carbon inside of them; tell me how to get a boot liner reactivated in a dryer? Why should I pay extra money for a carbon lining in a boot that can't be removed?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, Don, I held back as long as I could. I have to say you have touched on a very disturbing nerve with me. I agree. These companies are ripping people a new one and not even using lube.LOL

I have to say economics...Schmeconomics. It may be OK to sell something that works and make a huge profit. But when you sell stuff that can't even be "proven" to work and still make a HUGE profit. Well, that's just not right where this ol boy comes from. People get shot for less in these parts of the woods. Can you say "Deliverance". LOL

But, and this is a small but,(No pun intended) I also believe that people will continue to buy into this gimmick no matter who tells them any different. Case in point. There is another type of carbon on the market that has been duping people for years. It's called cigarette smoke. When it first started, no one knew if it would work or not. Now everyone has scientific proof that it does work(at what it does) and yet millions still pay millions to use it. Now I am in no wise bashing anyone for smoking. If that is your vise, so be it. What I am saying is, if Science itself proves something to work or not work, the general public may or may not approve. And to top it off it does not matter if the scientific results are good or bad. There are those who kill deer with it, and those who kill deer without it. There are those who die from cancer who smoke and those who die from lung cancer and never smoke a day in their life. So, what do you do. You decide for yourself and preach what you believe. If others follow suit, so be it. If they don't, then, well, they just have a lot more money and a lot less sense than we do.LOL

Sincerely, LT
Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 PM

Money talks!

Old 03-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I had a show, I don't think I would push products I didn't believe in. I am not saying I wouldn't try everything that came down the pipe, I would, as that is what a cutting edge hunting show should do. When air time came, I would like to think I wouldn't be a sellout and promote a product I didn't believe in .... money or no.....

So to answer your question Don ..... absolutely not
Old 03-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

did you guys see the road trips episode last season where Michael Waddell had on his hunter safety system vest and the lanyard wasn't attached to the tree? Don't get me wrong that is my favorite show, but I thought that was funny.

Quick Reply: Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.